Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about noise on a new 2013

Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
TACO88 is on a distinguished road

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Question about noise on a new 2013

Drove the brand new 2013 4dr LB auto SR5 off the lot Friday. I've been hearing a hum/whine/howel when driving at highway speeds. It only seems to do it when lightly feathering the gas or decelerating. The sound seems to be coming from the rear end somewhere and gets louder the longer you drive. It's not constant, comes and goes. I've done some research and it seems like there was/is an issue with the differential, I was only able to find info on later model trucks. Is this normal? Has anyone else had an issue like this on a new truck? Should I be concerned?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone? I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't duplicate, figures. I'm getting worried about it...
Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like cabin noise that your not used to to be honest haha how loud are we talking? can the radio on low drown it out? Only when accelerating and decelerating makes me think you could just be paranoid of a new sound you've never heard but if it's louder than what I'm thinking I could be entirely wrong. More info please
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
It happens only between 55 and 60, it's loud enough to notice but not ridiculously loud, it sounds almost like a tire hum but only does it when lightly applying the gas or completely releasing it. Goes away when accelerating; I drove a 97 Toyota 4runner prior to this truck and have never heard anything similar
Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know about slight hum man, hope someone else can clarify for ya.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I am just being paranoid
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO88 View Post
Anyone? I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't duplicate, figures. I'm getting worried about it...
Quote:
It happens only between 55 and 60, it's loud enough to notice but not ridiculously loud, it sounds almost like a tire hum but only does it when lightly applying the gas or completely releasing it. Goes away when accelerating; I drove a 97 Toyota 4runner prior to this truck and have never heard anything similar
So did the service guys take the truck out themselves and test it? I would have went with them and made sure they heard it.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Probably would have been a good idea
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Probably would have been a good idea
If your that concerned about it I'd take it back and be the one driving while they sit in the passenger seat.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Reverse taco bump clunk maybe?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody got it
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
have the same sound, around the same speed. was assuming that it was the '12+ grill noise or the famous windshield whistle.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #14

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
You have time. Give it a chance to break in a bit. If it is still there at 5K, bring it back. Or if it gets predictable enough to bring in, do that.
That's a good idea also, I hope all it needs is some break in time. Ill be picking it up from the dealership today after an under coating, I'll see if it's any quieter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin407c View Post
have the same sound, around the same speed. was assuming that it was the '12+ grill noise or the famous windshield whistle.
I though the same at first also but the characteristics of the noise ie only doing it when the gas pedal is released or lightly pushed, and goes away when accelerating; kind of clues me to a drive train noise vs wind noise, I could be totally wrong, I've only had a truck about a week. I guess I'll just have to spend more time with it, just concerning when you hear something like that and you're not use to it.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Dobri56 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Dobri56's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 with 9000 miles on it with a 3 inch lift and just started to hear the same thing almost like the brake is somewhat engaged? I'm I did just use 4 wheel drive the other day I think ill try putting it back in and taking it out again. but a lil sketchy. I already have the brake pedal pulsation. I swear my 09 was a better built truck the the 12's now kinda pissed trading that in a way.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobri56 View Post
I have a 2012 with 9000 miles on it with a 3 inch lift and just started to hear the same thing almost like the brake is somewhat engaged? I'm I did just use 4 wheel drive the other day I think ill try putting it back in and taking it out again. but a lil sketchy. I already have the brake pedal pulsation. I swear my 09 was a better built truck the the 12's now kinda pissed trading that in a way.
i agree with you alot. 06-07 were best years IMO. They seem to be progressively getting a little worse every year,
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #18

Army:
TACO88's Tacoma Gallery
Are there any other members out there experiencing this issue? I figure there ought to be a few more new tacomas out there. The under coating did not help what so ever and more specifically the noise is happening between 55 and 60, I can also here it between 30 and 40 but it's not as loud.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
If your that concerned about it I'd take it back and be the one driving while they sit in the passenger seat.
OP, did you ever do this? ^^^

If not, rather than worrying about it, make an appointment at a dealership and take it in again. Even if nothing is determined at this point, if a problem later develops that's related to the noise, your early attempts to address it will be documented in the Toyota service history of your truck.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #20
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are there any other members out there experiencing this issue? I figure there ought to be a few more new tacomas out there. The under coating did not help what so ever and more specifically the noise is happening between 55 and 60, I can also here it between 30 and 40 but it's not as loud.
Just noticed it this weekend. drove out to Vegas and I heard the same sound. I wanna say it's the fuel pump. maybe something to do with just barely feathering it causes the pump to make noise. definitely goes away when you go beyond just feathering the gas pedal. I doubt it's any serious cause for concern.