Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Emergency Shovel and Axe

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
NewtoTacoma is on a distinguished road
NewtoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Emergency Shovel and Axe

Just wondering what type of shovel and axe you guys carry and how do you attach them to the accessory rail? Is there a source for mounting hardware for a shovel and axe?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
For an axe I highly recommend the Fiskar axe. Its awesome
Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I carry one of military style shovels that fold down when not in use and a hatchet. When camping, I also carry a standard cutting ax. If you want to attach them to the side rails, use QuickFists and adapter plates for the rail. I have a plastic bin that I carry in the bed that holds my tools, jumper cables, hatchet and shovel. I'll also throw a snow shovel in the back for winter time.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
phsycle is on a distinguished road
phsycle's Tacoma Gallery
Shovel that digs and Axe that chops. I carry a shorty shovel (from Home Depot) and an Axe from Harbor Freight. No need for fancy here. I usually carry them in my tool box, but you can easily fab up a mount for these.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Because you never know when you might want to chop something and then bury it?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a 40 year old Collins "boys axe". It's a down scaled axe, I think intended for boy scouts. Like all the old stuff it is made of excellent steel. I just put a new handle on it, I think it is the 3rd. My shovel is a mini shovel from some Lowes like place. I secure both with Quick Fists. I also carry a 24" bow saw with an extra blade, and a Gerber machete.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
forana will become famous soon enoughforana will become famous soon enough
forana's Tacoma Gallery
the mother of all shovel/axe combos. Look for video clips of it. I saw it on TV, it was awesome.

http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Fiskars axe and a generic spade. Both stay in the bed mounted toolbox.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forana View Post
the mother of all shovel/axe combos. Look for video clips of it. I saw it on TV, it was awesome.

Doomsday preppies, right?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Doomsday preppies, right?
It's even got a bottle opener so you can pop a cold one after a long day of zombie decapitation

Naw, I think I'll stick with the collins axe LOL.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
harbor freight shovel + quick fists
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quick fists are a good way... I used four treks mounts before with good success.

Here:
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
phsycle is on a distinguished road
phsycle's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, just to add--I hardly ever find myself using the axe. But the bow-saw, I pull out on a regular basis. Much faster to cut through a good-sized log. The axe does have its uses, but 90% of the time, I reach for the saw.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forana View Post

just ordered one and now time to wait
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
NewtoTacoma is on a distinguished road
NewtoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, especially the tip on the Quick Fists. How do you mount them to the accessory rail? Is there a bracket or do you have to fab one?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoTacoma View Post
Thanks for the info, especially the tip on the Quick Fists. How do you mount them to the accessory rail? Is there a bracket or do you have to fab one?

Thanks!
You can find a nut at Lowes/home depot that slides into the rail. I secured my quick fist to the bed itself with just a standard nut/bolt combo
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have a folding shovel mostly for winter
Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
Oh, just to add--I hardly ever find myself using the axe. But the bow-saw, I pull out on a regular basis. Much faster to cut through a good-sized log. The axe does have its uses, but 90% of the time, I reach for the saw.
Same here, most of the time I'm pulling out the bow saw instead of the axe. I do however carry both and a small spade shovel (in the sunmer) and also a square mouth (don't know the proper name?) shovel for the winter time.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
BurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BurqueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
When i'm goin out somewhere i might get stuck i just throw my jackson shovel in the back. Normally just leave my Axe in the cab. It's a Estwing campers axe. 1 piece of steel so its pretty durable. As far as shovels go its nice to save space and all but digging with a folding shovel is pretty shitty. Grab a real shovel if you plan to use it.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
Joe in the hills is on a distinguished road
Marines: A-1-6 Mar Div FMF 0311, 4311
Name: Joe
Joe in the hills's Tacoma Gallery
Gransfors Bruks small forest axe, Gerber Gator Saw, USGI e-tool.

Products Discussed in this Thread