Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

humming in front end?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
BR63600 is on a distinguished road
Name: brian
BR63600's Tacoma Gallery
humming in front end?

2006 Taco 4x4. Bought my Taco last November. After a few month I started hearing a hum come from the drivers side front end. First thought was a bad wheel bearing. The sound got louder over a few months. Turning to the right it was obvious and turning the left it went away. So I had the drivers side bearing changed. My mechanic buddy said the bear had good wear on it.

But the humming has not got away. It's still active when turning to the right and goes away when stealing to the left. I have a 3" block lift on the truck that was there when i purchased it. And now has some front end chamber. My buddy thinks it had something to do with the chamber.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions what the humming is or could be from?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #2
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Does it feel like a hummer?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
I mean can you feel it?

Could be plastic in the wind? Maybe the trimmed plastic in front of the tire
Old 10-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
BR63600's Tacoma Gallery
No heavy vibration if thats what you mean. Mostly just hear it. It annoying and if its something that gonna be damaging later on I wanna fix it asap.

Don't think its the plastic. It's gotten louder over time. So I'm wondering what it would from.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR63600 View Post
No heavy vibration if thats what you mean. Mostly just hear it. It annoying and if its something that gonna be damaging later on I wanna fix it asap.

Don't think its the plastic. It's gotten louder over time. So I'm wondering what it would from.
That's the only thing I can think of, something fapping in the wind

I had a suspension squeak for the longest time, turned out to be my bumper rubbing on the headlight support
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
tires mabye....
Old 10-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
BR63600's Tacoma Gallery
Tires is all I could think of. Just seems odd that it only hums when steering right.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking this thing...

That little tit gets trimmed, sometimes just folded up and sometimes chopped off, could be the edge buzzing in the wind. Does it happen when going slow or just at speed?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tires is all I could think of. Just seems odd that it only hums when steering right.
your problem sounds like my truck. same hum, but when i turn my wheel to the right it goes away. im going to get the wheels balanced and the truck aligned and see if that helps. i thought it was my wheel bearing too when i first heard the hum. idk what it is, but we will figure it out. the only thing different you have on your truck is a lift.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2006 Taco 4x4. Bought my Taco last November. After a few month I started hearing a hum come from the drivers side front end. First thought was a bad wheel bearing. The sound got louder over a few months. Turning to the right it was obvious and turning the left it went away. So I had the drivers side bearing changed. My mechanic buddy said the bear had good wear on it.

But the humming has not got away. It's still active when turning to the right and goes away when stealing to the left. I have a 3" block lift on the truck that was there when i purchased it. And now has some front end chamber. My buddy thinks it had something to do with the chamber.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions what the humming is or could be from?
Did you check passenger side bearing? if driver side had wear then passenger side is probably in not very good shape. Pass side seems to wear faster.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
BR63600's Tacoma Gallery
Namyo, that plastic piece has already been removed by the previous owner. Prolly do to the tire size.

I jacked up the pass side of the truck to do a 12/6 & 9/3 shake test for the bearing. No movement. I couod be wrong but I'm convinced its not the pass bearing. I'll prolly have it changed out soon anyway because the drivers said was done.

My tires rub on the frame when in reverse and cutting hard, but thats it. No driving issues. Planned on getting spidertrax spacers to fix that issue. Just want to make the are strong enough to with stand some light trailing.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Namyo, that plastic piece has already been removed by the previous owner. Prolly do to the tire size.

I jacked up the pass side of the truck to do a 12/6 & 9/3 shake test for the bearing. No movement. I couod be wrong but I'm convinced its not the pass bearing. I'll prolly have it changed out soon anyway because the drivers said was done.

My tires rub on the frame when in reverse and cutting hard, but thats it. No driving issues. Planned on getting spidertrax spacers to fix that issue. Just want to make the are strong enough to with stand some light trailing.
keep in ming wheel shake is not always best indication if wheel bearing is lose. Old trucks usually have brake pads that hold disk enough to not allow wheel to move when testing. Also you could have dry wheel bearing not necessary one that already have enough play. What you describe sounds like wheel bearing I would do careful examination
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
both my front wheel bearings were tight when I grabbed the tires and tried to move them, both had water get in the outer bearing, grease diminished, dried out rusted and fucked from heat. I even thought they were fine when I got them off the truck and took them to a buddys who has the press. they seemed fime when rotated by hand but without the weigt of the truck on them u cant tell. Once they exploded in the pressing process u could clearly see the wear.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
brbeel is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
brbeel's Tacoma Gallery
I had the exact same problem with my 06, except the sound would go away when turning right. I replaced both bearings and the hum went away.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
BR63600's Tacoma Gallery
Think ill just pick up the pass bearing and change it out and see what happens.136K mi. on the truck. Changing both bearings will only help things out.

Thanks for all the input guys. If the 2nd bearing change out doesn't work you'll know haha.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a differential needle bearing.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-thread.html
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
Big Bruddah
Bluewater is on a distinguished road
Bluewater's Tacoma Gallery
Change both front wheel bearings an while you're at it the spindle bearing and say goodbye to annoying noise..
Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
*cough* thread revival!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe your truck just forgot the words?