1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help. Stuck in 4WD.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ewok, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    ewok

ewok [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver '05 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Double Cab
    Rancho Quicklift Coilovers, Wheelers 2" AAL with Bilstein 5125 shocks, N-Fab steps, anytime fogs, DTRL mod, plasti-dipped rear bumper, black mesh grill insert, Avid bumper guard with 20" LED light bar, Hella 700 HID conversion behind grill, black headlights, truxedo tonneau, black 17x8 Level 8 MK6 with Cooper STMaxx 265/70-17, and a new frame from Toyota
    So I got my truck back from the shop that did the lift a few days ago and decided to test the 4wd to make sure it still worked okay. Sitting at a light I decided to flip it to 4HI. Heard a clunk and the 4HI and 4LO lights on the dash started blinking. No beeps. Gave it some gas to move it forward. Flipped it back to 2HI and nothing.

Now it's stuck in what I assume is 4HI and no matter what I've tried it won't go back to 2HI. Both lights blink constantly. Has been raining quite a bit lately and I've been driving the truck in it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, just for more background the shop that did the lift had to leave the ABS sensors unplugged since they were messed up. The brake light and ABS light have been on since I got it back but since I hate ABS anyways I wasn't going to mess with it. Don't think it could have anything to do with the 4wd but then again I'm no expert.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty close to calling the dealership but I figured maybe someone here may have a trick that will get it out of 4wd.

2. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    try plugging the sensors back in? In 4hi your truck still uses the sensors for the VSC.

3. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    The only time I had both 4x4 and 4LO lights flash was when I took the actuator out. Could be the ABS too. Plug everything back in like factory and check.

4. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    ewok

ewok [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    Rancho Quicklift Coilovers, Wheelers 2" AAL with Bilstein 5125 shocks, N-Fab steps, anytime fogs, DTRL mod, plasti-dipped rear bumper, black mesh grill insert, Avid bumper guard with 20" LED light bar, Hella 700 HID conversion behind grill, black headlights, truxedo tonneau, black 17x8 Level 8 MK6 with Cooper STMaxx 265/70-17, and a new frame from Toyota
    No VSC and I'm definitely in 4wd. Lots of binding. Anyone know where the ABS sensors are? I haven't really looked for them yet.

5. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    An ABS wire could have been stretched or broken during the lift install

6. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Gotcha88

Gotcha88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCAs, 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Eagle 185s, 20% tint all around, Magnaflow 11256, Cobra CB with 2' Firestik, De-Badged, BHLM, UltraGauge, K&N Drop-in, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All-Weather Mats.
    Take it back to the shop and make them figure it out.

7. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    ewok

ewok [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    I would but they are over an hour away and I'm not going to drive this thing around on dry pavement in 4wd to get there.

They were going to replace the ABS sensors with new ones but after they told me the price I said don't worry about it and just leave them unplugged.

I will try and find the sensors and see if I can get them working again.

8. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    X2

9. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Good luck

10. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    In the mean time, I'd pull the front drive shaft so you don't FUBAR your transfer case.

11. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    ewok

ewok [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. The truck is going to the dealer as I have no time to mess with it.

12. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    ewok

ewok [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    I posted just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I've tried everything short of unhooking the battery for a while. May try that before heading to the dealer.

13. Nov 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    SGT Taco

SGT Taco It all fun and games till its not.

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P. 2007 TRD, Land Rover Disco II, F250.
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    FYI: was doing some wheeleing today and when I tryed to switch out of 4lo it just beeped at me... tryed everything I could think of, ended up driving it all the way home in 4lo.

Also, I could not get it out of park without pushing in the little button, the gear selector indicator on the dash was not showing anything, and my turn signals were not working.

As it turns out the IG1 fuse under the dash(#32) blew. It is for the Back-up lights, air conditioning system, passenger airbag manual on-off switch, and SHIFT LOCK SYSTEM.

What happened is I must have shorted out the back-up light circuit at the already broken trailer harness when I dragged it on a nice drop-off.

I hope this helps someone out of a jam... Driving home in 4LO for 10 miles sucked!

14. Nov 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    On your sun visor (and your owners guide in the glove box) is the instructions for using the 4WD.

An automatic must have the shifter in N (neutral), not P (park) to go into or out of L4.
    A manual must have the clutch fully depressed.

Toyota4WDCard_c357519ab187a863ca9a9f71af808731a2fff4a4.jpg

15. Nov 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    Who is this to?

16. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    To the person who typed this: FYI: was doing some wheeleing today and when I tryed to switch out of 4lo it just beeped at me... tryed everything I could think of, ended up driving it all the way home in 4lo.

and ANYONE ELSE who hears the beeping when they rotate the dial into or out of L4 (we all have, I am sure).

I just can't imaging driving home in L4... unless you live way out there! How did you solve the issue after you got home, if it wasn't the typical reason we hear the beeps?

17. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    Ohh wow is that what the beeping means...

No shit Sherlock!!!

I know how to use my 4WD. Did you not see what I wrote??? Tried that... Also set parking break, gave it a bit of gas in D and R to try and move the alignment of the transfer to trans incase I really fudged something up... Disconnected the positive terminal of the battery for a bit to reset the ECU/4WD module.

What it came down to was since the shift lock system was not working the ECU did not know what gear it was in, so the 4WD module could not sense it was in "N" and would not switch the transfer case out of low range.

18. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    :eek: :rofl:

I thought the same thing when I saw his response/picture.

Typical David K though.

19. Nov 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    SGT Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Spring Hill TN.
    Vehicle:
    Wife rolled it 3x mod...
    A couple other tw members and I scoured the sight to see if anyone had run into the same issue and could not come up with anything. One even called Chris4x4 to ask him and nothing worked.
    Frankly I am a bit surprised no one posted about this since it is quite common to drag/fuck up our trailer harness while out wheeling and I would have thought I would not have been the only one to short out the reverse light circuit to cause this... And that is why I decided to post up an FYI on some of the already existing "stuck in 4WD threads"... Just one more thing to check if you get in to that situation.

20. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    ewok

ewok [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies. My issue ending up being a failed front diff actuator. Oddly enough, I got the truck back 6 weeks ago and went out of town for a few weeks. Two days ago was the first attempt to use the 4wd since I got it fixed. I was going about 20mph, let off the gas and turned the dial to 4HI. Unlike the last time, I actually got the red indicator for 4HI for about 2 seconds, then it went off and started flashing the 4LO and what I assume is the diff lock indicator at the same time. Exact same flashing indicators as the last time it failed.

Tried everything I could think of and still couldn't get the lights to go away and once again couldn't get it out of 4HI. Ended up calling the dealership that fixed it last time and told them the situation. Dropped the truck off and they called yesterday saying the front diff actuator (6 weeks old) failed again.

This time they also found that what they called the "rear diff switch" wasn't working and they think that's what caused the front actuator to fail. Not sure if they are talking about the transfer case actuator or something else. I hope to get some details when I pick it up later today.

Products Discussed in

To Top