Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help. Stuck in 4WD.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
ewok is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
ewok's Tacoma Gallery
Help. Stuck in 4WD.

So I got my truck back from the shop that did the lift a few days ago and decided to test the 4wd to make sure it still worked okay. Sitting at a light I decided to flip it to 4HI. Heard a clunk and the 4HI and 4LO lights on the dash started blinking. No beeps. Gave it some gas to move it forward. Flipped it back to 2HI and nothing.

Now it's stuck in what I assume is 4HI and no matter what I've tried it won't go back to 2HI. Both lights blink constantly. Has been raining quite a bit lately and I've been driving the truck in it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, just for more background the shop that did the lift had to leave the ABS sensors unplugged since they were messed up. The brake light and ABS light have been on since I got it back but since I hate ABS anyways I wasn't going to mess with it. Don't think it could have anything to do with the 4wd but then again I'm no expert.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty close to calling the dealership but I figured maybe someone here may have a trick that will get it out of 4wd.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Disconnect the battery for a while and try again. If you were in 4wd you would experience binding while turning.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
try plugging the sensors back in? In 4hi your truck still uses the sensors for the VSC.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
try plugging the sensors back in? In 4hi your truck still uses the sensors for the VSC.
You are assuming he has VSC but 05 to 08 trucks with VSC are rare.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
The only time I had both 4x4 and 4LO lights flash was when I took the actuator out. Could be the ABS too. Plug everything back in like factory and check.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
ewok's Tacoma Gallery
No VSC and I'm definitely in 4wd. Lots of binding. Anyone know where the ABS sensors are? I haven't really looked for them yet.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Banned
The are at each wheel. Probably the transfer case actuator died.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok View Post
No VSC and I'm definitely in 4wd. Lots of binding. Anyone know where the ABS sensors are? I haven't really looked for them yet.
An ABS wire could have been stretched or broken during the lift install
Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha88 View Post
Take it back to the shop and make them figure it out.
I second this. They screwed something up so they should fix it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
ewok's Tacoma Gallery
I would but they are over an hour away and I'm not going to drive this thing around on dry pavement in 4wd to get there.

They were going to replace the ABS sensors with new ones but after they told me the price I said don't worry about it and just leave them unplugged.

I will try and find the sensors and see if I can get them working again.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Banned
I blame Aaron for mentioning ABS.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I blame Aaron for mentioning ABS.
X2
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
In the mean time, I'd pull the front drive shaft so you don't FUBAR your transfer case.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
ewok's Tacoma Gallery
I posted just to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I've tried everything short of unhooking the battery for a while. May try that before heading to the dealer.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
FYI: was doing some wheeleing today and when I tryed to switch out of 4lo it just beeped at me... tryed everything I could think of, ended up driving it all the way home in 4lo.

Also, I could not get it out of park without pushing in the little button, the gear selector indicator on the dash was not showing anything, and my turn signals were not working.

As it turns out the IG1 fuse under the dash(#32) blew. It is for the Back-up lights, air conditioning system, passenger airbag manual on-off switch, and SHIFT LOCK SYSTEM.

What happened is I must have shorted out the back-up light circuit at the already broken trailer harness when I dragged it on a nice drop-off.

I hope this helps someone out of a jam... Driving home in 4LO for 10 miles sucked!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
On your sun visor (and your owners guide in the glove box) is the instructions for using the 4WD.

An automatic must have the shifter in N (neutral), not P (park) to go into or out of L4.
A manual must have the clutch fully depressed.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
On your sun visor (and your owners guide in the glove box) is the instructions for using the 4WD.

An automatic must have the shifter in N (neutral), not P (park) to go into or out of L4.
A manual must have the clutch fully depressed.

Who is this to?