Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Our fuel mileage while towing

Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Our fuel mileage while towing

We just returned from a 1091 mile trip including climbing the Grapevine both northbound and southbound. I have a '09 Tacoma with the V-6 engine and automatic trans (TRD-Sport) and we were towing a total load (trailer and cargo) of 4000lbs with about 300lbs in the bed of the truck. Our average fuel mileage was 14.63 mpg for the entire trip. Our worst mileage was 13mpg (northbound from San Diego to Delano) heavy traffic, steep mountain and heavy rain. The best mileage was 15.59 from Delano CA to Elk Grove CA (flat central valley farm land.)

Overall, I'm pleased with the mileage. It is a little better than I was getting with our F-150 equipped with the 5.4L V-8. Our Tacoma handled the load fine and once I adjusted the hitch. lowering the front of the trailer 2-inches or so, the ride and handling was much better.

Ray

PS: I kept the trans in "D" when ever I could, dropped into 4th on any uphill pull. Also kept the speed around 60-62 (just below 2000-rpm.)
Attached Thumbnails
Our fuel mileage while towing-t-01.jpg  
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I think that is respectable mpg when hauling two tons.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That is pretty good, saying as I get the 14mpg on the highway with just me in the truck