Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Stereo turning off issue?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
ReidStylez will become famous soon enough
Name: Reid
ReidStylez's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Stereo turning off issue?

Anyone had this issue? I noticed it today. I got in my truck after work to go home and realized the stereo was turned off. I was like that's weird because I remember listening to a talk show on the way into work. Turned it on and continued home. It all the sudden turned off again. I turned it back on and tapped one of the preset buttons to change stations and it turned off again. I turned it on again and drove the rest of the way home (20 minutes) without an issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
YES. But mine was in a 2009 model. Mine did all sorts of strange things, but turning off was one of them. It turned on by itself as well. And changed stations. And showed random characters on the screen.

Funny story. They ordered the warranty replacement, and as I was pulling into the dealership to get it installed, my radio spontaneously spit out the CD that was in it, like it was dying.

The second one started doing it after a couple of months. So I went aftermarket.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
ReidStylez will become famous soon enough
Name: Reid
ReidStylez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
YES. But mine was in a 2009 model. Mine did all sorts of strange things, but turning off was one of them. It turned on by itself as well. And changed stations. And showed random characters on the screen.

Funny story. They ordered the warranty replacement, and as I was pulling into the dealership to get it installed, my radio spontaneously spit out the CD that was in it, like it was dying.

The second one started doing it after a couple of months. So I went aftermarket.
Did the dealership replace it without hassle? It seems like I'll bring it in and they won't see it happening and tell me to go no my way.

I have a double din pioneer I took out of my old vehicle but don't know if I want to install it or not.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
stangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud of

stangkeip10's Tacoma Gallery
mine did it for a couple of weeks here and there. I was going to take it in but it hasn't done it in 3 weeks so we will see
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
...my radio spontaneously spit out the CD that was in it, like it was dying.
My '11 has had no problems, and until this thread, I didn't know anyone was having any issues. That's an awesome line by the way.

Frank
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is on its third radio. Yes it was replaced under the truck's warranty both times (I said it's blanking the screen and shutting off by itself, they swapped it no questions asked). If it craps out before december I'll have them put another one in (apparently as a dealer installed replacement part it has a 1 yr warranty separate from the truck). If it dies afterwards, I'll go aftermarket for sure. No sense paying $300+ for a factory radio every year.

Toyota's records say that the first owner had the factory radio go out in an interesting fashion... stuck on FM, volume stuck at MAX, wouldn't turn off. Good thing it has a weaker amplifier than an iPhone.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
JoeBama has a spectacular aura aboutJoeBama has a spectacular aura about
Name: Joe
JoeBama's Tacoma Gallery
My '10 stereo turned off spontaneously about a month ago. I thought it was strange because that has been the only episode, and I am debating whether or not to have the dealer replace it. I am closing in on 25000 miles and 3 years so the warranty will expire soon.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
My 2009 did it all the time. Pulled it out and installed an in dash nav, problem solved.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #9
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I got no hassle from the dealer, they knew about the problem and said it affected more than just the Tacomas. Sounds like other '09 folks had similar issues, and having a similar problem on an '11 should probably trigger a similar reaction from the dealer. I would have them replace it if you are good with the stock radio.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
BREVO is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Bob
BREVO's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I was imagining the whole thing. But after it happened several times and reading about similar occurrences. I know the radio does turn on by itself.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
my 13 entune unit does it.. just resets on me whenever it feels like it..