1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 2.5" stock coils w/ 1.5 AAL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by faller, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Oct 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    faller

faller [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's @ 0.85, Toytec/Eibach coils, 1.5" AAL fbconvert's DIY AUX Input
    Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks
    Toytec 1.5" Add a leaf

So that's what I have part wise to put on my 2005 access cab trd offroad. When I ordered the parts (early this year) from my reading (on this forum and others) it was a decent way to go. Now it sounds like using the 2.5" inch setting with the stock coils will make a pretty rough ride and there's a good chance of developing vibration? I've spent the last couple hours searching for answers but haven't come across solid answers.

From the reading material and talking to people from Bilstein, they said the shock was designed to work with the stock coil, and they didn't recommend using aftermarket coils with it. Was I duped or will it work fine with the stock coils?

I'm not worried about the rear. It sounds like I probably won't need shims doing the 1.5" add a leaf, but if I do it's simple enough to drop the axle and put them in after the fact. I'm just worried about front driveline vibrations and a really brutal ride.

I drive mostly highway with some logging road travel to get in and out of camps. Thanks for any advice on the matter.

2. Oct 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    Markallyn86

Markallyn86 I like tacos and burritos

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston, TX /Heights
    Vehicle:
    Trd sport 4x4 2012
    OME kit 885, LR UCA, XD addict 17's, 265 70 Nitto, ultra gauge, weather tech
    1.75 is what i run and it is stiff so 2.5 has gotta be bad. I was thinking about lifting the rear and going to 2.5 but i dont know.. My gf complains about how rough it is already.

3. Oct 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    503TRD

503TRD Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    Exactly my setup..pretty stiff, but it doesn't bother me..rides like a truck..and I'm a truck driver so I'm used to some stiff rides..lol..I did have a slight take off shudder/vibe, but I installed a 1" CB drop and it basically cured it.

4. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM
    skeeet

skeeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD Sport
    :laugh:

5. Oct 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    From what I understand the off road coils have a much more harsh ride when compressed with 5100s than the sport coils do. They will work but yes the ride will be rough. But you can use aftermarket coils with 5100s. Lots of guys here use Eibachs or OMEs. I think you're just limited to 0 or .85 on the 5100s when using aftermarket coils but they also provide more lift.

6. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    faller

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Thanks for the replies. Must be pretty rough on a logging road eh? I'm definitely on the fence about whether I want to put it in or not now. I guess the other only other real option is to get a whole coilover package...

If I understand correctly, you can get the OME coils that add 2"

( )

and run the bilsteins at 0.5" inches? for 2.5"? The bilsteins say not to use lift shocks, but it sounds like that's a route a lot of people take?

7. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    Correct. The Off Road springs are progressive rate springs. The more you preload, the 'stiffer' the ride.

8. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    faller

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I'm always leary to go against manufacturer's warnings (bilsteins saying to use stock springs) but now I'm leaning towards this and would really appreciate hearing people's thoughts:

-bilstein 5100's set at 0.5"
    -OME 883 springs (add 1.5" to make it 2" of lift)
    -1.5" Toytec AAL (I have the non TSB leaf pack but ordered the TSB
    AAL for a lightly smaller lift and I've been told it won't stiffen it up as much as the non TSB AAL) currently with stock rear shocks..

Does anybody foresee any problems with this set up? From the reading I have done, this will bring it closer to level, but still with a slightly forward rake and I shouldn't get vibrations/shudders and shouldn't have to mess around with UCAs. Don't really want to do a CB drop, but could look into that too if it is highly recommended (sounds like some do, some don't). I don't do extreme 4x4ing, but as I said I do drive on logging roads and very occasionally cross ditched roads/trails etc.

Edit: Oh and thanks a lot for the replies. I know this topic gets beaten to death, but I have spent hours searching and can't find info specifically relating to my options (already having the 5100 adjustables and the AAL).

9. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    The CB drop is two bolts. It takes 5 minutes. I did it before work one morning. Don't be scared of it. You can always take it off. Some food for thought, it comes with the OME rear lift.

10. Oct 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    There is no .5 on the 5100s. The settings are 0, .85, 1.75 and 2.5. I think .85 + 883s will get you around 2" - 2.5" of lift, but I may be wrong. I don't have that setup.

11. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    faller

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Oh, I just going off memory which must be failing me. .85 on the billies and the 1.5 883 shocks... sound like a compatible match to everyone? Or would it be better to put in the 884 or 885 coils with the billies set at 0?

I spent most of last night and all of today reading up. When I got the parts (they were a birthday present from wife) it was before ECGS had the bushing to replace the needle bearing...It sounds like a very good idea to swap in that bushing for the needle bearing while I'm putting in the kit becauses it sounds liek a very good chance I will get a vibration otherwise. And with the dial just about at 100,000 miles I might look into ordering a new CV axle while I'm at it.

Just got off the phone with Toytec and they said the Bilstein adjustable 5100s aren't very compatible with the OME shocks, but the Eibach lift coils work with the shocks up (and including) to the 1.75 inch setting. They are a 1.6" lift shock so add in the .85" setting and come up with 2.45" which sounds good to me. This sounds like the route I will be taking as well as the ECGS bushing and probably new CV axles... Now just to order everything and try to put it all in...

12. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    That is my setup 2.5" front but I have a 2" AAL. I will probably get 885's for the front which should help a lot. If I had to do it again I would just put on 885's to begin with.

13. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    faller

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Just thought I'd update because I found it a huge help to hear people's hindsights after their projects.

Yesterday I put in the Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with the Eibach 1.6" lift springs up front and the Toytec 1.5" AAL with Bilstein 5100 shocks in the back. I also put in the Light Racing upper control arms. I forgot to write down the measurements but after going for a short drive I think it was just over 2" of lift in the front and about 1.5" in the back. I'll see how much it settles over the next few weeks but right now it sits about an inch higher in the rear with a canopy on.

It's in getting an alignment done now but from the short drive I've done it rides really nice. I felt the stock suspension was a little soft, now it feels pretty much perfect.

The downside is that immediately after the lift I got the front driver's side CV vibration from 30-45 mph. I didn't have any vibration before and couldn't feel any play in the CV shaft so rolled the dice and didn't put in the ECGS bushing. Now I'll be pulling the drivers side apart in the near future to put in the bushing.

I found these other people's threads very helpful:

Installing AAL with pictures:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/31118-how-install-add-leaf-w-pics.html

Upper control arm:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/14507-total-chaos-uca-how-install.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/315831-camburg-uca-install-w-pics.html

Alignment information:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...ing-report-light-racing-ucas.html#post3219050

All in all I'm really happy with how it looks and drives and I'm looking forward to getting it back from the dealership with the wheels aligned. I put on new tires (BFG A/T 235/85/r16) which fit really nice. Debated long and hard between the 235s and the 265/75/r16 but went with the 235s because I'm an old man at heart and felt they were more practical.

I'll try to get some pictures of the truck, CV angles etc in the near future. Thanks for all the help to everyone that's helped with their posts and replied to PMs. This forum has been a huge help in the process, and I feel it saved me a lot of time, frustration and money.

14. Nov 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Sounds good. I had mine @ 2.5/1.5 for a bit but couldn't get the alignment right so went down to 1.75/1.5 until I splurge for UCAs. Can't ruin new tires for 3/4 of an inch.

Products Discussed in

To Top