1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just applied Fluid Film for winter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BuffaloScout, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Oct 18, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Motor oil sprayed on cars is illegal so is red lead that was also used, has been for years and probably one of the worst things to use is used motor oil it's full of all kinds of nasty things water, acid, gasoline just to name a few common things you change the oil for a reason. If it's some thing you think you need to do buy a gallon of new oil.

2. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Shop around you should be able top buy it for close to $30. $10 rust protection for 3 years not a bad deal. It does smell weird.

3. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    not WAX, parrifin, which in the US is candle wax, but in GB it is kerosene...

bar and chain oil works because it tacks up nice.

Personally, I think pressure washing followed by either a POR or KBR product works pretty good. On the other hand, I haven't to repair rust damage on a vehicle newer mid-80's. Perhaps this winter, the 62 Town Wagon will come in the shop to sweat some plate on the old rust holes.

And those motor oil studies? they were done in Cincinnati with some NIOSH/CDC money. They got their used motor oil from rental car fleets with AVERAGE time to change of 18,000 miles. I don't think the stuff we drain out every 3k-5k is going to look like that OR have that level of contaminants. I know some of the guys who ran that study also...good folks.

Howard

4. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    rclangelan

rclangelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sykesville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DblCb Baja Ed. (Black)
    TRD Front Skid Plate, Tacoma All-Weather Mats, BFG AT KOs (265/70/16)
    So, if this stuff never really cures to a hard shell, does it stay tacky and collect dirt and debris?

GQ7227 likes this.
  5. Oct 18, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Correct, it never dries and, because of that, will collect grime over time.

GQ7227 likes this.
  6. Oct 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    lchbowhunter

lchbowhunter Member

Member:
    Clay, WV
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD off road

This is from the Fluid Film website: http://www.fluid-film.com/faq.html

Does FLUID FILM attract dirt?
    Because FLUID FILM remains wet, it will get an initial dusting upon application, but because it contains no solvents and will not become sticky, it will not gum up or create a build up of dirt.

GQ7227 likes this.
  7. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    For decades I have used a product called LPS #3 that sounds very similar to Fluid Film. It is a preservative oil/wax that is desolved in solvent. It penetrates even deep cracks. The solvent evaporates pretty quickly and leaves the waxy film.

I miss the days when trucks were simply self oiling :rolleyes:. You poured it in the top and everything from the motor on back stayed oiled :D

8. Oct 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I think I'll get a sample and give it a look then, thanks!

9. Nov 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I bought 2 spray cans of Fluid Film 11 days ago and sprayed my frame. Two cans was just enough to spray the inside and outside of the frame, inside of my rear bumper, the inside rear bed panels near the bumper from underneath, and the entire hitch assembly. I might buy another can to spray the spare tire and leaf springs. The smell is not to pleasant, after 11 days its starting to not be so noticeable. After I showed my dad how thick and nice it covers the frame, he now wants me to get some cans and do his truck.

10. Nov 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Air paint sprayer won't spray it has to be a high pressure gun Wagner electric sprayer will or a high pressure paint sprayer gun. A gallon will do 3 trucks and I stand corrected I said it was around $35 but it's up to near 50 now still a cheap price for a good product.

11. Nov 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Does this stuff spray on clear? or does it have a certain color to it?

12. Nov 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I had the free sample sent to me but the idea of the FF never fully evaporating, gave me pause because, how much dust will collect on my frame when I off-road? If you spray your frame with a garden hose does the red dust wash off? How bad is it?

13. Nov 28, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Didn't you just answer the question? "Modified". A cheap Wagner sprayer will spray it just fine $70 at Lowes/Home Depot, it also will spray paint including latex. If you have a compressor with enough CFM's by all means buy the cheaper one to do your truck my point was you can't put it in a common paint gun it won't work. The people at Fluid Film are really nice people give them a call if you have questions about their product I did and that's exactly what they told me.

14. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I used a paint brush and my hands when I did my truck. What an awful, awful time that was.

I bought an 11.75 oz can and a gallon can. The spray can was easy to use and I did the rear quarters and door bottoms on my Subaru.

The gallon can had the consistency of shampoo. I got a garden sprayer pump cheap thinking that'd work well but it didn't spray well at all. I ended up just spraying the stuff on with the sprayer and using my hands to smear it all over the frame. I did 360 degrees on it as well as the crossmembers, rear bumper, rear leafs and all mounts and the tow hitch. I also painted it on the bottoms of the rockers and the seam weld. I used the remainder of the spray can for the holes in the rocker (didn't pull the plugs, now thinking I should have), the base of the front fenders (where my old Toyota had rust) as well as the bottoms of the doors.

I do play on grabbing another spray can the wheel arches and most likely the bottoms of the floors as well.

As has been said the stuff smells laughably terrible. I had to force myself not to puke a few times. The only thing I've smelled that was worse was the used Subaru LSD fluid when I drained the rear diff in my car. I ended up having to toss all the clothes I was wearing that day as I had it all overs. That being said if this stuff works I'll be its biggest proponent.

I got all my stuff at Grainger. Had no trouble buying w/o a commercial account.

15. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Edit: I also did as much of the rear bed sides as I could reach including all the bottoms of the panels. I can't get over how thin the sheetmetal is there.

16. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    Zonktified

Zonktified Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Does anyone know of a discount or coupon code for TW members if ordering from Kellsport?

17. Feb 2, 2020 at 8:07 PM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    what kind of oil sprays are you talking about?

Products Discussed in

To Top