Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HID's + Lift = BLIND??

Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Retrofits still aren't as good as OEM projectors. Close but not as good. However most people are just dropping them into a stock halogen housing because they are cheap asses.

I see just fine at night with my halogen bulbs.
I would strongly disagree with you there unless you are talking about the aftermarket projectors and housings you get on Fleabay. The projectors you get from places like TRS are just as good, if not better, than OEM. Some of those custom light shops modify the projectors to really get the most out of them and the results are pretty damn impressive.

I see fine with halogens as well but there's always room for improvement
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I would strongly disagree with you there unless you are talking about the aftermarket projectors and housings you get on Fleabay. The projectors you get from places like TRS are just as good, if not better, than OEM. Some of those custom light shops modify the projectors to really get the most out of them and the results are pretty damn impressive.

I see fine with halogens as well but there's always room for improvement
Just something I heard not experienced.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Just something I heard not experienced.
Before I finally pulled the trigger on a set of projectors, I spent some time on HID Planet and it's pretty neat to see some of the things they do. Those guys custom make their cut off shrouds, mess with the spacing between the bulb and the lens and also swap the lenses for a clear version. The results are pretty awesome!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #24
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see what the big deal with projectors is... Sure my headlights are bright, but I remember my Phillips X-treme halogens were bright enough for me too...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #25

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I don't see what the big deal with projectors is... Sure my headlights are bright, but I remember my Phillips X-treme halogens were bright enough for me too...
When I get mine done, I'll throw up comparison pictures of projectors vs. my PIAA bulbs (I had Philips Xtreme bulbs also and I think the PIAA's are brighter). The biggest difference I notice is the width of the beam which is the reason I'm swapping out. The halogens I have are fine, I can see very well so trying to say it's a 'needed' mod is a lie. It's just something I think would be nice to have and I like to see the shoulders of the road for deer and other wildlife.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do have projectors and just wanted to make sure I wasn't that asshole blinding everyone on the road...
Only way you would be that asshole is if you didn't have projectors and were running a hid setup in the OEM housing. Clearly you do or not clearly obviously since a lot of people failed to read that you indeed do have projectors.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
When I get mine done, I'll throw up comparison pictures of projectors vs. my PIAA bulbs (I had Philips Xtreme bulbs also and I think the PIAA's are brighter). The biggest difference I notice is the width of the beam which is the reason I'm swapping out. The halogens I have are fine, I can see very well so trying to say it's a 'needed' mod is a lie. It's just something I think would be nice to have and I like to see the shoulders of the road for deer and other wildlife.
I already have projectors... FX-Rs and with Phillips bulbs & Ballasts... they're bright... but think I may sell them and put in stock headlights... not sure though
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #28

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I already have projectors... FX-Rs and with Phillips bulbs & Ballasts... they're bright... but think I may sell them and put in stock headlights... not sure though
Damn... why would you want to go back?!?! That's a nice setup you've got. I went with H1's and the XB bulbs.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Damn... why would you want to go back?!?! That's a nice setup you've got. I went with H1's and the XB bulbs.
Mainly because I think I can sell them for good $$$

I'm still on the fence about getting rid of them... haven't made up my mind...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #30
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I just turn my lights off when I'm pulled up behind a car. I don't have HIDs but my lights are hella bright.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #31
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Even with my trs projectors I still can see people in front of me move the rear view mirror or even side mirrors. Doesnt happen too often tho
Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post
HID without real proper projecters is like driving around with your brights on. That is what HID's are. OEM or stock hids have a mechanical shutter that directs the light stream downward. Those are the "low beams". High beams, shutter moves and allows all the light to be directed lights up everything from the tops of trees to the goal post and everything in between.

What your doing is throwing in the bulb into your stock housing, bouncing full intensity into your stock reflector. Putting out brights all the time. Yeah, get your retrofit kit and put in a real kit. Don't cheap out.

Got pics of your setup? I get the idea that you might have some ebay projector headlight setup and not a retrofit kit or you wouldn't be asking these questions.

I guess I didn't make my post clear and for that I am sorry!! I did get a full retrofit kit from the group buy here on TW. I got the mini H1's and the mini gatlin shrouds. I was just asking in general because this is the first time I have lifted a vehicle of mine and didn't want to be "that guy" that goes around blinding everyone. I was just trying to get some opinions on what others do when they install their kits. I don't do cheap when it comes to safety, and in the last 4-5 cars I have had they all had HID's so I have become quite accustomed to them!!

Sorry for the confusion!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #33
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTacoGuy View Post
I guess I didn't make my post clear and for that I am sorry!! I did get a full retrofit kit from the group buy here on TW. I got the mini H1's and the mini gatlin shrouds. I was just asking in general because this is the first time I have lifted a vehicle of mine and didn't want to be "that guy" that goes around blinding everyone. I was just trying to get some opinions on what others do when they install their kits. I don't do cheap when it comes to safety, and in the last 4-5 cars I have had they all had HID's so I have become quite accustomed to them!!

Sorry for the confusion!
+1 to you for being awesome and caring about safety and others on the road before doing something to your vehicle Tis a rarity.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion with a 6" lift your going to blind some of the divers regardless and they should know that with your truck sitting so high so they shouldnt get pissed about it. The magic word is "shouldnt" but we all know people these days get pissed about anything. I have a 3" lift on my with retros and the passenger side was a tad high and I would get high beamed quite often when I would pass people but like the others said.....just lower your lights.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
+1 to you for being awesome and caring about safety and others on the road before doing something to your vehicle Tis a rarity.
Thanks man, I have been blinded before to the point where I pulled over to let them pass...I just can't stand the fact that people will mod their vehicle but don't have the decency to realize when they are putting others at risk. Not to mention it looks much better when it is done right!!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #36

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
In my opinion with a 6" lift your going to blind some of the divers regardless and they should know that with your truck sitting so high so they shouldnt get pissed about it. The magic word is "shouldnt" but we all know people these days get pissed about anything. I have a 3" lift on my with retros and the passenger side was a tad high and I would get high beamed quite often when I would pass people but like the others said.....just lower your lights.
Unfortunately you can't always please everybody, so yeah there will always be those out there that even if you take the proper steps they are still just going to be haters!! And thanks I will definitely take the advice and adjust them before I go out on the street!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #37
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTacoGuy View Post
Thanks man, I have been blinded before to the point where I pulled over to let them pass...I just can't stand the fact that people will mod their vehicle but don't have the decency to realize when they are putting others at risk. Not to mention it looks much better when it is done right!!
exactly!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #38
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
The adjustment screws are your friends... i would park a car that has stock hids next to your truck around 30 or so feet from a wall and line your cutoff close to theirs
And they'll end up not projecting far enough down the road.

That's the problem with lifted trucks.... or lowered cars if you're the driver.
That's why there are legal limits to the maximum height of headlights.

Proper adjustment puts the low end of the cutoff about 2" below the centerline of the projector or lamp.
That means with a 6" lift. even properly adjusted stock headlight will make you "that guy"
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #39

If you're headlights are an inch or three higher than the car in front of you's rearview mirror . . . haha not much avoiding light in the eyes.

Could always not lift it or lift it about 2-3" tops IF you need it for taller tires and more ground clearance
Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #40

Army:
LOL...yeah I don't want to be "that guy" but I do not think I will change my lift over it. I figured I could try as hard as I could to not blind the hell out of people and I will adjust to do that. I have a feeling I will still douse some with extreme light but I guess that is something I will have to get used to. I will at least be very aware of where they are pointed and if I have to pull up behind someone say at a drive through, then I will just throw on the parking lights....problem solved.