1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I get the run down on back spacing??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Corey27, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Corey27

Corey27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corey
    northern VA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Off Road
    K&N intake,flowmaster exhaust system.
    Sorry new to off roading. I have a 2010 TRD off road tacoma and im looking to put a 3" suspension lift with 15x10 rims and 33"x12.5 tires. I dont under stand what the back spacing really is. i ve asked around and one of my buddies said if you get the right backspacing for you specific truck than the rims wont fit. when i searched the forums for back spacing info it looks like you have an option with back spacing your rims. Thanks

2. Oct 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    Backspacing is the distance from the inside bolting surface of the rim to the outer edge of the inboard side of the rim. More backspacing, the rim sits more tucked, less backspacing, the rim sticks out further.

You might want to check, but I think a 15" rim might not clear the brake caliper. Some 16's wont clear it either.

Here is a link that explains backspacing and offset pretty good.
    http://www.chevellestuff.com/tech/wheel_offset.htm

3. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    Corey27

Corey27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corey
    northern VA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Off Road
    oohhh great thanks. so the backspacing is just the tire/rim stick out distance from your truck. My friend told me that if you dont have the correct backspacing per your truck the rim wont fit. thanks for that info.

And thanks for the rim size as well. my stock rims are 16" so i will def. check before I purchase.

4. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/102992-wheel-backspacing-offset-info.html

5. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Racecarguy is right 15s are to small. And with a wheel and tire setup that wide you would have alot of rubbing and would have to do alot of trimming. You might want to look into a skinnier wheel and tire

6. Oct 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    15's definitely will not fit on the front, but definitely will fit on the back. you will not be able to run a 33" tire on stock 16's, without spacers (unless they are the TRD Trail teams 16's or the TX Pro fake beadlock 16's). most people run 285/75/16's which are close to a 33*10*16, and that will not fit on the stock alloy 16's either, without spacers.

the only factory wheels that will take 285's or 33's without spacers:

- any 16"+ first gen wheel, including older 6-lug tundra wheels and 2nd/3rd gen 16"+ 4runner wheels
    - TRD Simulated beadlocks, found on baja editions tacomas, and TX-Pro Tacomas
    - stock FJ 17" alloy wheels
    - TRD FJ 16" wheels
    - 16" Ivan Stewart Wheels (1st or 2nd gen)

any aftermarket wheel that is 16" or bigger, with 4.5" backspacing and a 6*5.5 lug pattern will work without spacers as well, though aftermarket wheels dont fare too well on our trucks since they are sensitive to steering wheel shake... just a risk you run.

7. Oct 20, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    Corey27

Corey27 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corey
    northern VA
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Off Road
    Wow! thanks for the info and article. Really helped me!!

Products Discussed in

To Top