Notices

any painting experts out there?

Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
janelle2388 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Corey
janelle2388's Tacoma Gallery
any painting experts out there?

i have a chrome bumper and personally i do not like chrome, i was thinking about painting it black, and i dont really know what type of paint will work best or really the proper steps on how to do it. i do not own a paint gun and dont want to spend the the money an expert to do it. or am i just better off trying to sell mine and buying a black one? i also did a search and all i can find is that someone did undercoating or bed liner for there's and i want mine to try to look cleaner then that. thank you
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle2388 View Post
i have a chrome bumper and personally i do not like chrome, i was thinking about painting it black, and i dont really know what type of paint will work best or really the proper steps on how to do it. i do not own a paint gun and dont want to spend the the money an expert to do it. or am i just better off trying to sell mine and buying a black one? i also did a search and all i can find is that someone did undercoating or bed liner for there's and i want mine to try to look cleaner then that. thank you
You'll need to sandblast the chrome off, then Krylon would work. Gotta get it to bare metal.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rardigo View Post
You'll need to sandblast the chrome off, then Krylon would work. Gotta get it to bare metal.
any chance you have a rough idea on how much that could cost me?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
this thread may help you...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...nt-bumper.html
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
what about vinyling it flat black? clearbra is strong stuff. it will last several years. instead of doing 'clear' do flat black....
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #6

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
mine is for the rear bumper thats chromed i dont think that will be the same
Old 10-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
drewgodfrey is on a distinguished road

Name: drew
drewgodfrey's Tacoma Gallery
plasti dip.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #8

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgodfrey View Post
plasti dip.
i have heard of the plasti dip. do you think that could work and last on the chrome? not sure if will be able to adhear to it
Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
You can use an adhesion promoter primer on scuffed chrome. Works well, apply about 4 coats and then your regular black primer.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #10

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
You can use an adhesion promoter primer on scuffed chrome. Works well, apply about 4 coats and then your regular black primer.
that actually looks like that would work best. thank you very much
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I am sure this would work, but I just dont trust the stuff to last. Chrome isnt a great adhesion surface to begin with and I think it would start to chip off after a while.
I am not sure of the cost of sand blasting but I do know its not that expensive. Alot of steel fabricator shops have them and I cant see it being more than a $100 bucks for a Taco bumper.
Just my .02
Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rardigo View Post
I am sure this would work, but I just dont trust the stuff to last. Chrome isnt a great adhesion surface to begin with and I think it would start to chip off after a while.
I am not sure of the cost of sand blasting but I do know its not that expensive. Alot of steel fabricator shops have them and I cant see it being more than a $100 bucks for a Taco bumper.
Just my .02
I don't know how you can't trust it. Must not be familiar with how an adhesion promoter works. It's basically like a thin glue that bonds to the surface and is much more adhesive on the outside for the paint to stick. You have to spray the primer within 15 minutes of spraying adhesion promoter to allow the primer molecules to bond with the promoter molecules, basically making a woven bond.
I've used it on anything that isn't clean scuffed steel with good results. Plastic, chrome, fiberglass, even some rubber.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
I've painted chrome several times on vehicles using Plastidip. Next to no prep required, easy to apply, inexpensive and easy to touch up down the road. Be glad you're going for black and go buy a few spray cans of Plastidip. I wish I were so lucky because I need a hood, grill, emblems and bumper painted but black would look weird on my Pyrite Mica. Best part of Plastidip is if you decide you don't like it you can peel it off in about 30 seconds w/o any change to the bumper underneath.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
if you scuffed it up with some 100grit or so sandpaper, i would think a few coats of rustoleum to stick but im no expert. just dont forget to wipe clean after you sand. i prefer laquer thinner as my "solvent of choice"
Old 10-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
I've painted chrome several times on vehicles using Plastidip. Next to no prep required, easy to apply, inexpensive and easy to touch up down the road. Be glad you're going for black and go buy a few spray cans of Plastidip. I wish I were so lucky because I need a hood, grill, emblems and bumper painted but black would look weird on my Pyrite Mica. Best part of Plastidip is if you decide you don't like it you can peel it off in about 30 seconds w/o any change to the bumper underneath.
^^^^^ this op------Good gas wipe down to get the wax off then some old sheets to cover the taco and you are good.. As said ez to touch up down the road.. a bumper is going to get nicks and dings thats just life.. Painting it will be a pain in the ass to keep it looking good..My 2c worth... Jim
Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
Chris135 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Chris135's Tacoma Gallery
I know a guy that that had one of those chrome Chevy truck bumpers and didn't care for the chrome on it. He scuffed/sanded all the chrome on it for adhesion then sprayed it with por15. Only thing is I'm not sure of he sprayed it with etch first or not. Then after the por15 I think he scuffed again and primed it, then prepped again and painted it white to match his truck. Not sure what his exact steps were but he was very careful considering those truck bumpers tend to rust quite easily, also he's a prepper/part time painter
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
It's about 120.00 to have your rear skin powder coated they will blast it and then powder coat it, chrome or not it will stick...

I used plastic coat spray in black my first go round, sanded the chrome skin with a grinder to promote adhesion, then used two cans per the drying times of the can, usually about 4 hours per coat. Had no issues with that product!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Scuff up the chrome real good, apply some adhesion promoter and then a good quality paint.

Don't use gasoline for degreasing, it leaves residue, there are proper solvents for such tasks.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
drewgodfrey is on a distinguished road

Name: drew
drewgodfrey's Tacoma Gallery
ya you'll be fine with plastidip. and like other said you ca peel it right off.