Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Storage Box?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
WhyNotFab is on a distinguished road
Name: Ricky
WhyNotFab's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Storage Box?

I just installed a soft bed cover, so now I wouldn't mind keeping some sort of waterproof storage box in the front of the bed for all of my larger items that are under the rear seat now.. stuff that would eventually be dirty anyway, straps/rope/tow hitch/etc..

Looking for ideas on decent boxes that wouldn't take up the entire width of the bed, since I'll have my air tank and compressor in the passenger side corner..

Any suggestions on boxes that I could bolt down or mod to hook into the rail system, that I could lock up even?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
JWinTN is on a distinguished road
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
Ran across this thread trying to research the same thing.

So . . . anyone?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I went to Lowes and picked up a Black poly box that fits under my cover. It serves a purpose but when I went to put the long shank locks on the poly snapped. It hasn't been an issue just be careful.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
If you need security these are a nice option

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-235-t...y-lockbox.aspx

Glad you posted this!!

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
I personally am looking for something a little bigger than the Tuffy, although if they weren't quite as pricey, I'd grab one of those too.

I used to have an extended cab SR5, and the area behind the front seats held all my dog beds—extra coats, blankets, clothes, and whatnot depending on the season. Now I have a double cab for family haulin', and I can't keep all that stuff piled on the back seat. I basically need some type of RubberMaid storage that can be secured to the front of the bed but doesn't take up the whole bed. Almost like half a tool box, just not metal.

I'll probably go to Lowe's or somewhere and look for one of those chest-type boxes and figure out a way to secure it to the bed rails. I just figured that with all the ingenious folks on TW, someone has likely already come up with a solution.

What I'd really like to have is a box the width of the bed and about half as deep, that had wheels that ran in the bed rails similar to drawer tracks, that I could roll to the back of the bed to get it out of the way, and then pull it forward when I need to access it.

Uh-oh, I think wheels are turning in my brain, and now I have a headache.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Mine sits against the cab and is held in place with ratchet strap. I put a lock on it cause in the winter I move it to the gate so if I need to get anything to pull Nissans out of the snow it is close
Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Mine sits against the cab and is held in place with ratchet strap. I put a lock on it cause in the winter I move it to the gate so if I need to get anything to pull Nissans out of the snow it is close
Sounds simple enough, and an easy route to go. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Colefoz is on a distinguished road
Army: Veteran- Bradley Gunner 19D Apache Troop 1-1 Cavalry regiment, 1st AD
Colefoz's Tacoma Gallery
You can use 120mm ammo cans. A little mod and you can add pad locks to them and bolt them to the bed.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Tasty fish in a tortilla
SalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
SalmonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have one of these. It is solid, but the angled top makes it a little tough to put bigger stuff in there.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Pelican cases

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...-bay-area.html
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
szetor is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
szetor's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a cheap alternative to the pelican cases:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-...m/B000UPGMXY/2

I bought mine at Walmart for ~$30.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by szetor View Post
Here is a cheap alternative to the pelican cases:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-...m/B000UPGMXY/2

I bought mine at Walmart for ~$30.
I have that almost same box

Also use these and just tie down with ratchet straps.. these are the best http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-117...sxp_grid_i_2_2
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
here is what I did for my storage..high quality, water proof, shipped to my door for 250

Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I have that almost same box

Also use these and just tie down with ratchet straps.. these are the best http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-117...sxp_grid_i_2_2
I was at Lowe's today and was looking at the Action Packers. Also looks like you could rig it to the bed rails with some kind of reinforcement for the plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
here is what I did for my storage..high quality, water proof, shipped to my door for 250
Do you have a link or a model name for that? I can't seem to find that particular one. Looks like a solid solution.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
I was at Lowe's today and was looking at the Action Packers. Also looks like you could rig it to the bed rails with some kind of reinforcement for the plastic.

Do you have a link or a model name for that? I can't seem to find that particular one. Looks like a solid solution.
It can probably be done. We have either the 35 or 48 gallon one that fits in the bed perfectly, and stack 2 8-gallon ones on top with a ratchet strap for weekend camping trips. I rarely see them in stores here, I see the ocassional 8 gallon but never anything bigger.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #18
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
It can probably be done. We have either the 35 or 48 gallon one that fits in the bed perfectly, and stack 2 8-gallon ones on top with a ratchet strap for weekend camping trips. I rarely see them in stores here, I see the ocassional 8 gallon but never anything bigger.
I saw only the 8 gallons ones.

I just went from a '96 to a '12, and I really wanna attach somethin' to those bed rails. They demand it.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
IT Crowd
BrainThump is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Security Forces Veteran
BrainThump's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That looks pretty handy. Might be on my purchase list soon!
Thanks for the link!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought these were cool.

http://autocustoms.com/p-713-underco...m_campaign=AC1