Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dumb question about cabin air filter and glove compartment strut

Old 10-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
blacksheep515 is on a distinguished road
blacksheep515's Tacoma Gallery
Dumb question about cabin air filter and glove compartment strut

Ok, I turned the heat on today. It was 40 degrees outside. My truck started to smell all moldy, musty like a smoky bar. I couldn't stand it. So, I went to autozone and picked up a STP cabin air filter.

I used the owners manual for the install. I opened the glovebox and the first thing I noticed was the stopper was just laying there attached to the bottom retainer the user manual says to detach. For the life of me I cannot figure out where the top attaches to...I saw a notch and tried to slide it on, but it will not stay on. Am I missing a piece that holds it on or something? Anyone have a picture? The strut has 2 holes and neither attaches to the top due to the dash being in the way? What am I doing wrong?

I gave up and decided to replace the filter...

I took filter out and see the toyota filter was facing arrow up and forwards. I took it out and noticed leaves and several twigs etc on the top.

The STP filter has an air flow down arrow. I assume air comes from the top, hence the junk on it and installed it with the arrow facing down. Is this correct?

Sorry for the n00b questions. All help appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
You installed the filter correctly, air flow is from the top down.

The damper strut mounts by the two holes onto the two little plastic pins, but usually falls off one side in short order. I saw a mod somewhere ( here on tacoworld I think) where the guy put a small screw in the split in the plasic pin to hold it spread apart, which keeps the strut from falling off. Try searching, see what you come up with.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
That thing is an overengineered piece of crap. My friend and I spent hours going through the dash and tightening screws because we heard a rattling only to find out that it was that dampener. I was so pissed when I figured that out.
Edit: We spent so much time doing that because we spent the day before putting a full layer of CDL tiles and CCF to get rid of any out side noise's and rattles.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Saskamoose is on a distinguished road
Name: Christian
Saskamoose's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue with that crappy dampener when I changed my cabin air filter. I pissed around with it for about 45 minutes before chucking it in my bucket of old auto parts that will never see the light of day again. I haven't missed that thing at all.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody got a pic of this? I'm doing mine this weekend.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
It's that black cylindrical part sticking up to the right of where the console should be.

Edit: Here's one better. Read post 6.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...-box-back.html
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
after a few trips in and out of there for various mods and wiring, my damper started coming off the peg too. I just tossed it
Old 10-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I never knew I was supposed to have a glove box strut, I'm going to have to look and see if I have one or if it's disconnected. I know when I open the box it just flips open, no delayed action or anything like that. Did all 05 and up's have this?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I may go out and try to put that thing on again after reading that post. I could never get it to stay in place either.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
It's that black cylindrical part sticking up to the right of where the console should be.

Edit: Here's one better. Read post 6.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...-box-back.html
In this link if you attach the upper part B first, just stick a small screw in between the two tabs and that will hold it in (on mine at least that was the loosest of the two connection points). Leave the bottom A to snap in and out as is, so you can access the air filter still.

Edit: same thing was said a few posts down in that thread...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
jeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
jeratbp's Tacoma Gallery
i wonder if that's what's making the noise i keep hearing. plus it's about time to change my filter too, so I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I never knew I was supposed to have a glove box strut, I'm going to have to look and see if I have one or if it's disconnected. I know when I open the box it just flips open, no delayed action or anything like that. Did all 05 and up's have this?
Yes, all 05+ has it
Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
mine doesnt stay either just too lazy to toss is yet
Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Can't remember which end it was...but I put a big screw (wide head) between the plastic prongs, this keeps the thing ON. I disconnect it at the opposite end....which has been working (and staying on).
I change/clean my filter yearly.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Spray the filter with a little air freshened or water and alcohol and run it, freshens the truck right up.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Khmer Member
tacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
tacowestley's Tacoma Gallery
My strut came off too so i put a little super glue and voila, hasnt fell off since