1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Disc's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Streaking10 Taco, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I don't get the "flow" bit the amount of fluid a master cylinder "flows" is very small. Disk brakes self adjust they do not return like a drum brake does so the cylinder is all ways full of fluid. Now the problem comes with piston diameter yes it will require a larger piston for a caliper as apposed to a drum brake because of the breaking effort. Drum breaks are self energizing disks are not they use rotational force to apply them (that's why they have a leading and trailing shoe). Old cars with drum brakes all around had "touchy" brakes just because of the self energizing effect they also needed to be perfectly adjusted and in good shape or they would pull to one side. Disk breaks on the front was a giant leap forward but for overall ease of application Tacoma decided that rear drums were the way to go. Frankly they stop just as good with less effort but if you are going track racing in your Tacoma you'll need rear disks because they cool faster (and look cooler). So do your effort to help the economy and buy a rear disk kit if you think it will help.

2. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Get some steal braided lines, makes a difference and I have no desire for rear discs, and once my front pads go I will be getting some Hawks or EBCs for the front.

3. Oct 20, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    What this guy said. Also if a drum was used as mentioned earlier for heavier loads there would have to be another system adjusting for wheel cylinder pressure.

Products Discussed in

To Top