Notices

Rear Disc's

Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #41
justinh is on a distinguished road
justinh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
lol I was just spectating for a bit.

On the bright side, at least Tundra Racing realized that its kit's parking brake it 100% useless and went with a more stout solution for those willing to shell out the cash. I hadn't seen this one before:

That said, the stock master cylinder can only flow so much fluid. Something designed to flow for drum brake wheel cylinders is gonna have a crap time trying to keep up with the volume requirements of disc brake calipers.

There is a shop on Pirate now that is offering a similar kit, brackets, brake hoses, etc. It's only about $100. I was able to source my stock 4runner components (calipers and rotors) for under $100.

They haven't come out with a parking brake kit YET though. They are waiting on some legal stuff for that supposedly.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #42
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Disc's-xrunner.jpg Sorry this was the only picture i had. I deleted the rear brake picture by mistake. SOS Performance did their homework on the rear disc conversion and bbk. Brake system worked BETTER than stock PERIOD ( also had steel braided lines f&r )! No mushy this or that. I Know cause I had them for at least 3yrs. NO COMPLAINTS .
If you wanna do it. Than do it. Nothing to worry about.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #43
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx novice View Post
Attachment 175513 Sorry this was the only picture i had. I deleted the rear brake picture by mistake. SOS Performance did their homework on the rear disc conversion and bbk. Brake system worked BETTER than stock PERIOD ( also had steel braided lines f&r )! No mushy this or that. I Know cause I had them for at least 3yrs. NO COMPLAINTS .
If you wanna do it. Than do it. Nothing to worry about.
Link??!!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Perhaps you missed the part where I linked 5 threads on the subject on the first page...
That, you did. I'm draggin' a bit after a lot of work and little sleep. I'll go back for a look. Thx

This appears to be all that needs to be said about that conversion kit. I'd pass.

Oops, this is good info, too. "1987 Ford Thunderbird 4 cylinder turbo coupe" parts on my 2012 Tacoma for only $800? No, thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #45
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt View Post
Link??!!
It's for 5 lugs only, not sure if that matters to you or not.
More importantly, I'm pretty sure SOS shut their doors a few years ago.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
All of our cop cars had rear disks (both Ford and Chevy) they stopped fine and probably were a good thing on a cop car but they were a maintenance nightmare with hanging parking brake systems, sticking calipers and rotor issues.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #47
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
lol I was just spectating for a bit.

On the bright side, at least Tundra Racing realized that its kit's parking brake it 100% useless and went with a more stout solution for those willing to shell out the cash. I hadn't seen this one before:

That said, the stock master cylinder can only flow so much fluid. Something designed to flow for drum brake wheel cylinders is gonna have a crap time trying to keep up with the volume requirements of disc brake calipers.
I don't get the "flow" bit the amount of fluid a master cylinder "flows" is very small. Disk brakes self adjust they do not return like a drum brake does so the cylinder is all ways full of fluid. Now the problem comes with piston diameter yes it will require a larger piston for a caliper as apposed to a drum brake because of the breaking effort. Drum breaks are self energizing disks are not they use rotational force to apply them (that's why they have a leading and trailing shoe). Old cars with drum brakes all around had "touchy" brakes just because of the self energizing effect they also needed to be perfectly adjusted and in good shape or they would pull to one side. Disk breaks on the front was a giant leap forward but for overall ease of application Tacoma decided that rear drums were the way to go. Frankly they stop just as good with less effort but if you are going track racing in your Tacoma you'll need rear disks because they cool faster (and look cooler). So do your effort to help the economy and buy a rear disk kit if you think it will help.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #49
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I know this is not a "which is better" thread, so I won't belabor it. I have built a few brake systems for vehicles from scratch and typically the rear axles in question came originally equipped with drums. The question of the disk brake conversion was there. Except in instances where the brakes had to endure long application or braking from extreme high speed, the benefit on the rear just wasn't there. The disks do have the advantage in resisting brake fade and that is what makes them so valualble in the front where braking force is very high. In fact all the disk/drum systems involved the use of a proportioning valve to dial down the braking in the rear to prevent lockup. More braking efficiency would have just meant a lower setting on the valve.

In high performance applications like sports cars, a major factor to consider is unsprung weight. It's especially important on light vehicles with independent suspension. The decision to use disks on performance cars with 4 wheel independent suspension is largely driven by that. On a heavy solid axle, the added weight of the drum is less important.

The need for a disk is design criteria specific, and you can't compare apples to oranges.

Sorry if I interrupted
What this guy said. Also if a drum was used as mentioned earlier for heavier loads there would have to be another system adjusting for wheel cylinder pressure.