Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Disc's

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Streaking10 Taco is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Streaking10 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Disc's

I noticed that the FJ has rear disc brakes. Is that the same rear axle as on the Tacoma? I want to install rear disc's, and this might be the way to go...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Scotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud of
Name: charley
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in this as well. I hope someone can help with this.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
do you race your truck? if not, rear discs are not needed. imo
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
do you race your truck? if not, rear discs are not needed. imo
I work mine and yes they would be nice to have
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the axles are mostly the same, but no they are not identical. Not trying to dissuade you, it's not just a simple swap. You'll need a larger master cylinder and most likely a manual brake proportioning valve for the rear.
And for what? You'll stop faster with the factory drums (albeit they will fade faster than disks). Unless you're racing your truck, brake fade is not going to be an issue. And...drums last longer.
Do some searches, or PM one of the mods, mjp2, and ask him first hand about his brakes. I'm sure he'll have no problem giving you his story.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I'd prefer disc brakes mainly for the ease of maintenance, but I wouldn't bother changing brakes or axles to get them. As far as braking performance is concerned, rear drum brakes work fine for me on the Tacoma. IIRC, the Tacoma is routinely praised for its braking performance in reviews, and I've been impressed with how well mine stops in stock form.

If someone wants to improve braking performance on their truck, changing to more aggressive front pads and better road tires will be much more important than going from rear drum to disc brakes.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'd prefer disc brakes mainly for the ease of maintenance, but I wouldn't bother changing brakes or axles to get them. As far as braking performance is concerned, rear drum brakes work fine for me on the Tacoma. IIRC, the Tacoma is routinely praised for its braking performance in reviews, and I've been impressed with how well mine stops in stock form.

If someone wants to improve braking performance on their truck, changing to more aggressive front pads and better road tires will be much more important than going from rear drum to disc brakes.
Well said. X2
Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
I put SOS Performance rear disc conversion ( 5 lug ) on my x-runner. I also had their big brake kit in the front. Didn't have to do anything to up grade the master. Also had big ass ( 22x9 and 22x10 ) heavy ass Asanti rims ( rear tire size 295/25-22 ). Truck stopped on a dime. Disk brakes are easier to maintain but I think I paid $1500. for the conversion. You'll have to do some research for a six lug though.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
This kit uses the 4Runner rear disc parts;

http://www.tundraracing.com/proseriesprerunner.htm

I agree with everything everyone has stated so far about disc brakes and I want to do this eventually. But plan on members coming into this thread saying something like
"This one guy did it and he had nothing but problems" or "Drum brakes are better, why do you want disc's". It happens all the time everytime there is a thread like this.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Nobody said drums were better than disks.
The point is you're taking a truck that has the best in class stopping and removing the best in class part. Yes it can be done. Yes it's going to cost a pretty penny. Yes the MS will work, but the initial pedal feel is going to feel like it's going to the floor because your taking a MS that was designed to push two tiny wheel cylinders to now push two rather large single piston caliper. Again...I encourage you to search as this has been discussed many times. Here's something to get you started. In the end, your money, your mods.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...onversion.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...sc-brakes.html
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Banned
The Phoenix is on a distinguished road
Name: Rocky
The Phoenix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post

Easier to maintain, yes, but unless you get stainless disks, they'll need MORE maintenance, especially on the back end of a pickup. SUV and car applications tend to be better for rear disks than pickups because the back end load is more consistent on them. With a pickup, you need rear brakes that can support a much wider range of loads, which basically means that for an empty load, they would have to be significantly oversized. Oversized disk brakes can cause problems when it comes to scraping off the light rust buildup that you can get even just sitting in a damp environment overnight. If you get this too much, you can end up with significant rust on the disk surface.

Drum brakes are protected from the elements, and take more contact pressure to stop equally to a disk, so rust isn't nearly as much of a problem with them. Drum brakes tend to be more difficult to maintain, but require substantially less maintenance.

The emergency brake is also a trivial implementation for a drum brake. For a disk brake, it is something of a pain in the butt. I've seen pickups with rear disk, that also have small drums on the back of the rotors. Sounds OK in theory, but since you wouldn't be using those drums to stop, you would never be scraping the rust off them, they deteriorate very quickly and end up being entirely ineffective. These drums are also so small that they couldn't possibly be used to stop the vehicle in an emergency. If they were, then you have full drum brakes, in which case you're duplicating the brakes anyway.

I believe that the safety rules involve having a secondary braking system that is independent of the hydraulic brake system, which means cable drive. The two options you get are either a hybrid disk/drum setup like I've described, or a secondary cable-operated caliper.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
This is just like taking the disc brakes off the sequoia in rear to install on the back of a 04-06 tundra. Same concept basically and yes Toyota should have put disc on the rear of the tacoma as std equip. Def much easier to maintain.

Just found this website which offers a complete kit

http://www.tundraracing.com/rbck.htm
I highly disagree. Please read my previous post in this thread.

Also; do you really believe that the manufacturer would spend the extra money to provide you with DRUM brakes if they didn't offer some kind of substantial advantage? Fact is that Drum brakes are larger and significantly more complex than disk brakes, far more expensive to manufacture. Why do you think they would do that?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck getting the VSC system to work with your conversion.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
I highly disagree. Please read my previous post in this thread.

Also; do you really believe that the manufacturer would spend the extra money to provide you with DRUM brakes if they didn't offer some kind of substantial advantage? Fact is that Drum brakes are larger and significantly more complex than disk brakes, far more expensive to manufacture. Why do you think they would do that?
Why do you think all the newer trucks are going to disc brakes in the rear
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
Why do you think all the newer trucks are going to disc brakes in the rear
Because the marketing people said so. Perception and cost reduction factors favor the disk. Quality engineering favors the drum.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Easier to maintain, yes, but unless you get stainless disks, they'll need MORE maintenance, especially on the back end of a pickup. SUV and car applications tend to be better for rear disks than pickups because the back end load is more consistent on them. With a pickup, you need rear brakes that can support a much wider range of loads, which basically means that for an empty load, they would have to be significantly oversized. Oversized disk brakes can cause problems when it comes to scraping off the light rust buildup that you can get even just sitting in a damp environment overnight. If you get this too much, you can end up with significant rust on the disk surface.

Drum brakes are protected from the elements, and take more contact pressure to stop equally to a disk, so rust isn't nearly as much of a problem with them. Drum brakes tend to be more difficult to maintain, but require substantially less maintenance.

The emergency brake is also a trivial implementation for a drum brake. For a disk brake, it is something of a pain in the butt. I've seen pickups with rear disk, that also have small drums on the back of the rotors. Sounds OK in theory, but since you wouldn't be using those drums to stop, you would never be scraping the rust off them, they deteriorate very quickly and end up being entirely ineffective. These drums are also so small that they couldn't possibly be used to stop the vehicle in an emergency. If they were, then you have full drum brakes, in which case you're duplicating the brakes anyway.

I believe that the safety rules involve having a secondary braking system that is independent of the hydraulic brake system, which means cable drive. The two options you get are either a hybrid disk/drum setup like I've described, or a secondary cable-operated caliper.
I've never seen or heard of the maintenance and sizing issues you've described WRT rear disc brakes, but I'll take your word for it. I've never seen a brake disc (front or rear) in regular use that developed enough rust in the friction area that it wasn't quickly cleared after a few applications of the the main braking system.

You missed at least one e-brake system. I don't care for the goofy mini-drum setups, but plenty of systems use a cable to drive the main caliper. Those systems brake just as well as any rear drum e-brake system.

I also don't believe drum brakes are significantly more expensive to produce than disc brakes, or that manufacturers are doing anyone a favor by putting drums on less expensive vehicles, while using discs on higher end ones. I have no proof of that, other than what we see in model and trim level packages throughout the industry. Rear brake performance is far less important than front brakes, and if a manufacturer could cut costs by installing four wheel discs, I think that's all we'd see.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Because the marketing people said so. Perception and cost reduction factors favor the disk. Quality engineering favors the drum.
Do you have any evidence of that? Many high performance braking applications use disc brakes, from all manner of racing vehicles to aircraft, and even spacecraft. I believe discs are also favored for cranes and other high load, cable drawn applications. Again, I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with drum brakes, but I'd like to see evidence that "Quality engineering favors the drum."