Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealership oil change... advice?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DriverSound's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2009, #15329
Location: SoCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,134
DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat207 View Post
So, I am here at the dealership, just waiting for the truck to get washed.

The nice thing is, the service bays have a viewing area, so I was able to watch everything they did to my truck (pretty much) . Here are my on the fly notes of the step by step of what I saw...
Truck pulled into bay
Hood raised
Truck lifted
Tires were inspected and air checked /refilled
Oil drained
Undercarriage inspection
Grease gun applied grease to locations under truck (near axles) front and back
Tire lugs removed
Tires removed and rotated (sides stayed the same, but front and back moved)
tire lugs placed by hand
Tire lugs airgun tightened
Truck lowered
tire lugs tighter by manual wrench
Tech went to the back, got what looks like an oil filter box
Tech spotted holding large jug, grey looks like mobile 1
Hood closed.

The ONLY THING I could not see was the actual oils going in, due to a 4 runner being in the bay next to mine.

Now, I took advice, and marked my old filter, and meeting note of the color of my old oil, so will be able to know if new oils went in.. ill update in a few..
I've never seen a dealership service bay that can be viewed. Usually they are in the back out of sight. Looks like you found yourself a good dealership from the description of what you've seen though that's only one tech that you've seen. Good thing you can watch them then.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
Madcat207 [OP] Madcat207 is offline
Senior Member
Madcat207 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jun 2012, #80623
Location: NM
Gender: Male
Posts: 140
Madcat207's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
I've never seen a dealership service bay that can be viewed. Usually they are in the back out of sight. Looks like you found yourself a good dealership from the description of what you've seen though that's only one tech that you've seen. Good thing you can watch them then.
Aye.. i wasn't expecting it either.. but sure enough, the whole wall leading to the lobby is open, and you can watch the entire place; yes, the back bays are blocked mostly by the middle row, but thankfully that is where the service was.

Anyway, the oil is listed as Synpower 0w20, and does look like the bottle i saw. I checked, and the oil is a nice clear amber, and the filter is different.

Chalk one up for a good technician..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BamaToy1997's Avatar
Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
Joined: Jan 2012, #71846
Location: Marion, AL
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,385
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Remember also that not all oil changes are performed by quality techs at a dealership. Some dealerships hire lube techs to do the oil changes and small, quick services. This frees up the line techs to take care of the bigger problems. I think it is interesting that not only here, but in the world, when a person has a bad experience in a dealership or shop, they will announce it to the world, putting said location down, but the ones that get a good job done, and be treated fairly? Not a word is hardly heard.
I find that living in this small town that life is refreshingly different. People talk about my shop all over town, and about 75% of my work are repeat customers, and 20% are customers who have been recommended to come to my shop. Here, when you do good, people talk about you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #24
Madcat207 [OP] Madcat207 is offline
Senior Member
Madcat207 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jun 2012, #80623
Location: NM
Gender: Male
Posts: 140
Madcat207's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Remember also that not all oil changes are performed by quality techs at a dealership. Some dealerships hire lube techs to do the oil changes and small, quick services. This frees up the line techs to take care of the bigger problems. I think it is interesting that not only here, but in the world, when a person has a bad experience in a dealership or shop, they will announce it to the world, putting said location down, but the ones that get a good job done, and be treated fairly? Not a word is hardly heard.
I find that living in this small town that life is refreshingly different. People talk about my shop all over town, and about 75% of my work are repeat customers, and 20% are customers who have been recommended to come to my shop. Here, when you do good, people talk about you.
My first two dealership "repair" experiences cost me my engine and $3000 dollars... you bet your ass i will announce that to the world.

Now, as it is, despite trepidations, i gave them a chance again, and this time the tech did good (and i think i chronicled that fairly). Once bitten, twice shy.

If the dealership continues to do good work, i will say so. If they do bad work, i will say so. I owe them no favors either way; as it is, i feel they owe me an engine, but that is a different subject..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #25
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BamaToy1997's Avatar
Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
Joined: Jan 2012, #71846
Location: Marion, AL
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,385
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat207 View Post
My first two dealership "repair" experiences cost me my engine and $3000 dollars... you bet your ass i will announce that to the world.

Now, as it is, despite trepidations, i gave them a chance again, and this time the tech did good (and i think i chronicled that fairly). Once bitten, twice shy.

If the dealership continues to do good work, i will say so. If they do bad work, i will say so. I owe them no favors either way; as it is, i feel they owe me an engine, but that is a different subject..
I understand your feeling. I have been on both sides of the coin myself. The point I have been trying to get across is that between an independent shop and a dealership, the dealership DOES tend to have better trained techs. Now again, a tech is only as good as the quality of his work. you could have just as well taken your vehicle to an independent shop, and a shoddy tech done just the same amount of damage to your engine.

Yes, you do not "owe" them any favors at all. However isn't it just good human relations to pass the word or good things? (and bad) I always will tell people when I have had a good experience with anything. Be it a restaurant, a movie theater, a parts store, etc. Maybe it is just the way I was raised, and the community that I live in. Here, you don't look up places to go to in the phone book or on the internet, you ask your friends for personal recommendations. In the past year of business I have literally spent less than $750 on advertizing, yet I have been able to keep this shop going strong due to quality work, and word-of-mouth advertizing. I depend on it. Yes, you did mention that they appeared to do your oil change properly, and as expected. For that I, and other techs around thank you. You have a job as well I would assume. Would you like it if people talked bad about the company you worked for just because some other guy screwed up? I hope not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
Madcat207 [OP] Madcat207 is offline
Senior Member
Madcat207 is on a distinguished road
Joined: Jun 2012, #80623
Location: NM
Gender: Male
Posts: 140
Madcat207's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I am not seeing the problem.. I am happy to pass on a good word where one is deserved (Toyo auto in Albuquerque did a great job replacing my 1st gens engine).. As it was though , up until this point, that shop had failed me twice, with expensive results. Between this , and other horror stories (oil and/or filter not being changed, things not tightened right etc), you bet that I will go in with apprehension. I didn't go in bashing a random dealership.. this one had already dropped the ball and has to earn my respect back.

I would be more than happy to get the same tech on the future.. she did a fine looking job, and I know that one tech does not a whole shop make. But once bitten, twice shy. As it is, I am happy to give a positive review, and hope to do more in the future..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BamaToy1997's Avatar
Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
Joined: Jan 2012, #71846
Location: Marion, AL
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,385
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat207 View Post
I guess I am not seeing the problem.. I am happy to pass on a good word where one is deserved (Toyo auto in Albuquerque did a great job replacing my 1st gens engine).. As it was though , up until this point, that shop had failed me twice, with expensive results. Between this , and other horror stories (oil and/or filter not being changed, things not tightened right etc), you bet that I will go in with apprehension. I didn't go in bashing a random dealership.. this one had already dropped the ball and has to earn my respect back.

I would be more than happy to get the same tech on the future.. she did a fine looking job, and I know that one tech does not a whole shop make. But once bitten, twice shy. As it is, I am happy to give a positive review, and hope to do more in the future..
Glad to hear it! I do understand the feeling of apprehension you would feel when bitten. I guess I was reading too much into yours. So many people on this forum want to bash dealerships and their techs without making sure the fault is correctly applied to the right place. I will admit I get a bit defensive. You did specify more directly that dealership. I just hate when people suggest throwing out the entire bushel just because of a few bad apples. I'll get off my soapbox. lol
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Put Syn on my 1st Oil change, now want to change back to regular Oil ! ?!? moulin6801 2nd Gen. Tacomas 29 11-17-2013 05:10 PM
Oil Change: 2011 Tacoma TRD V6 4.0L with Oil Cooler ShaneHD 2nd Gen. Tacomas 24 09-16-2012 01:42 PM
1st Oil change, free but $38 more to change to Syn oil!! Is it worth it?? moulin6801 2nd Gen. Tacomas 76 02-27-2012 08:53 PM
1st Oil Change - Yellow Milky Substance in Oil Fill Tube ?! ZanexGt 2nd Gen. Tacomas 37 01-16-2011 07:58 PM
oil change and LSD rear diff change. flowmaster race series muffler? wwjdweldingman 2nd Gen. Tacomas 3 05-04-2009 08:41 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.