Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealership oil change... advice?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Madcat207 is on a distinguished road
Madcat207's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership oil change... advice?

So, having bought my 08 around 3 months ago, my oil change time has come. Now part of the deal was free SYNTHETIC oil changes for two years, problem is , I don't really trust dealerships. Hence, I am looking for advice :

I know where to check the oil filter, but is there anything else I should inspect manuallly?

They agreed to do the better synthetic, but I am not sure I trust them to put it in (vs the cheap stuff). Has anyone actually heard of going back with the vehicle and watching? I have thought of asking to do it, under the guise of learning more about my truck.. but I am not sure it would fly....
Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Banned
The Phoenix is on a distinguished road
Name: Rocky
The Phoenix's Tacoma Gallery
I think your only option for figuring out what oil they put in it would be to do an oil analysis on it once its old. In fact, the dealership is surely purchasing oil in drums, which are probably not marked in any way that you'll be able to read. Truth is, however, that you shouldn't worry too much about it. If they put in recycled mineral oil, it will still satisfy your engine's lubrication requirements and won't lead to premature failure as long as the changes are done at reasonable intervals. Once you're through with the 2 years worth of changes and doing your own oil changes, then you can control what oil goes into it and can be as anal about it as makes you happy.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Fair enough...Any other qc checks I should do, and or is checking the filter good enough?

Btw, and no objections to changing it myself, I but when it is free for two years, and hard not to take them up on it...
Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
When I get home after each dealer oil change I take a screwdriver and mark the top of my filter with the mileage (5k, 10k, 14k, etc) so knowing they changed my filter is pretty easy. If I were you, I'd mark your current oil filter. I also check the lugs on each tire just to make sure they are tight after reading a story on TW where a guy's tire nearly fell off.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
It is sad to hear about so many people who have had problems with dealerships. I spent 20 years in different shops and I always made sure me and my techs did quality work. I even made it a requirement that I QC test drive all repairs.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat207 View Post
So, having bought my 08 around 3 months ago, my oil change time has come. Now part of the deal was free SYNTHETIC oil changes for two years, problem is , I don't really trust dealerships. Hence, I am looking for advice :

I know where to check the oil filter, but is there anything else I should inspect manuallly?

They agreed to do the better synthetic, but I am not sure I trust them to put it in (vs the cheap stuff). Has anyone actually heard of going back with the vehicle and watching? I have thought of asking to do it, under the guise of learning more about my truck.. but I am not sure it would fly....
Mark the filter before going in. You can tell if it's new when you check the oil level after the service. After parking it awhile, check for any leaks from the filter and drain bolt. It can happen, even with new parts that were properly installed. I do these checks when I complete the work myself.

If any tire work was done, check that all of the nuts and trim rings are installed, and if you have a torque wrench, give them all a check. If you don't have a torque wrench, you can still check them, just don't go crazy tightening them.

Trust, but verify is definitely the way to go when someone else works on your vehicle. There's nothing wrong with being careful, and ultimately, it's your money and safety at risk. Don't be shy about it checking things out on the dealer's lot; I know I will.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Take the freebies....

Just like someone else said...mark the filter (to ensure they actually changed it). Check the color of your fluid before going in....and check the color of the fluid when you get it back home. It should be dark before and light after. Check the fluid levels and also check the drain plug to make sure its tight. Overall...check for leaks.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I write on mine for my own reference because I go over 5k in the summer and under 5k in the winter

Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Great advice guys, thanks!

The reason I distrust deal ships, and is that I had two tell me that my CEL was caused by my catalytic converter, and when actually the head gasket was going... I found out after my gasket went (and had to buy a new engine.....) that there was a notice (but not recall) talking about this problem that was valid when I had taken it in, and and Toyota would have picked up the repair. But since the mechanics didn't actually check anything, but the problem was allowed to get worse..
Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'd take advantage of the free oil changes and have them do it for the 2 years. Not saying it wouldnt happen but its pretty hard to screw up an oil change especially if its at a dealership....but again, not saying nothing wrong would happen.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I'd take advantage of the free oil changes and have them do it for the 2 years. Not saying it wouldnt happen but its pretty hard to screw up an oil change especially if its at a dealership....but again, not saying nothing wrong would happen.

I had a warranty battery changed at a dealership two weeks ago and they screwed that up. They put the wrong battery tie down clamp which was much bigger not allowing me access to the over flow coolant bottle and their tech flat out lied and said that's how the car came in when I know it didn't since I had to jump start just to get it going. Thanks Community Honda of Whittier.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Oldie but a Goodie
Russellstiltskin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russtifer
Russellstiltskin's Tacoma Gallery
Its sad that we cant trust a dealership, with "certified" technicians who sell/maintain the same vehicles on a daily basis, to do a simple oil service correctly without either messing up or intentionally screwing us over. Sad, sad, sad.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellstiltskin View Post
Its sad that we cant trust a dealership, with "certified" technicians who sell/maintain the same vehicles on a daily basis, to do a simple oil service correctly without either messing up or intentionally screwing us over. Sad, sad, sad.
There was just an article on Yahoo about this Camaro owner placing a recorder in his car because he suspected the service department was screwing him and he recorded the so called techs doing three burnouts and saying something about messing up his clutch and that they're gonna make him pay big bucks, etc...

So yes, it is a shame that we cannot trust a dealership and their trusted techs though it forces some of us to learn and do our own maintenance and repairs and pity to those who do get screwed over by shady dealerships and repair shops. So hard to find a good, honest mechanic...
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
There was just an article on Yahoo about this Camaro owner placing a recorder in his car because he suspected the service department was screwing him and he recorded the so called techs doing three burnouts and saying something about messing up his clutch and that they're gonna make him pay big bucks, etc...

So yes, it is a shame that we cannot trust a dealership and their trusted techs though it forces some of us to learn and do our own maintenance and repairs and pity to those who do get screwed over by shady dealerships and repair shops. So hard to find a good, honest mechanic...
To be fair, a lack of integrity is hardly unique to mechanics. I know that's not what you were implying, but being a truck enthusiast site, we tend to pile on to dealerships and mechanics. I'd say the majority of them just want to get paid for doing a good job, but there are a significant number of douchebags in the field.

Look around most any workplace and you'll see examples of dishonesty and a complete lack of integrity or personal responsibility. Don't be one of those people, and you'll probably find life is a lot better.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Brianz1001 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Brianz1001's Tacoma Gallery
I worked in a few dealerships before opening my own garage, listen the bad work you are talking about is sometimes the mechanic, not the dealership. Alot of guys don't care, they get paid on piece work not flat rate. Not making excuses for any dealership, but if they screw up get them to fix it and don't go back.

If you do it's your own fault next time. You never know who is going to work on your truck. your better off if you can't do it yourself, find a good local garage and make a relationship with them, so you know what your getting.
Just my 2cents...
Old 10-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #18
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I got the 2 year free oil changes with the purchase of my truck. Reasons I chose to do the OC's my self:

1. I did it correctly
2. Used the oil I wanted to use
3. Dont have to sit and wait
4. Don't have to worry about truck being damaged
Drum roll.......
5. The oil change was actually done
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
So, I am here at the dealership, just waiting for the truck to get washed.

The nice thing is, the service bays have a viewing area, so I was able to watch everything they did to my truck (pretty much) . Here are my on the fly notes of the step by step of what I saw...
Truck pulled into bay
Hood raised
Truck lifted
Tires were inspected and air checked /refilled
Oil drained
Undercarriage inspection
Grease gun applied grease to locations under truck (near axles) front and back
Tire lugs removed
Tires removed and rotated (sides stayed the same, but front and back moved)
tire lugs placed by hand
Tire lugs airgun tightened
Truck lowered
tire lugs tighter by manual wrench
Tech went to the back, got what looks like an oil filter box
Tech spotted holding large jug, grey looks like mobile 1
Hood closed.

The ONLY THING I could not see was the actual oils going in, due to a 4 runner being in the bay next to mine.

Now, I took advice, and marked my old filter, and meeting note of the color of my old oil, so will be able to know if new oils went in.. ill update in a few..
Old 10-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
To be fair, a lack of integrity is hardly unique to mechanics. I know that's not what you were implying, but being a truck enthusiast site, we tend to pile on to dealerships and mechanics. I'd say the majority of them just want to get paid for doing a good job, but there are a significant number of douchebags in the field.

Look around most any workplace and you'll see examples of dishonesty and a complete lack of integrity or personal responsibility. Don't be one of those people, and you'll probably find life is a lot better.

True, there's good mechanics out there and like I said, they are hard to find.