1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When to use 4WD while off roading question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by The109, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    The109

The109 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    I understand that you're not supposed to use 4WD on dry pavement. What about at off road trails like Hell's Revenge in Moab? It's mostly slickrock (actually feels like sandpaper though). I'm assuming people are using 4WD out there because some of the sections are crazy.

Isn't that type of terrain similar to dry pavement? Has anyone here taken their truck on that trail?

I Mtn Biked slickrock and saw a bunch of hummers out there. One guy snapped his axel trying to bounce it up a huge rock. I didn't have my Tacoma back then and would like to try some parts of the trail when I go back out there with my truck.

Thanks.

2. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Good question OP. I'm actually curious as well. Only surfaces I've ever wheeled on is dirt, gravel, and sand.

3. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    There are several members who have taken that trail and many other trails in Moab. You will be fine. I have been on 7 Mile Rim (75% slickrock) in both 4 high and lo with no issues (spotting, not driving). I would guess the Hummer snapped the axle from bouncing. That will destroy and axle/rear diff pretty quick. You can hear and feel the tires slip when cornering on slickrock. I would suggest just taking it easy and slow on the rock, which I'm sure you already know.

4. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    Slesse

Slesse Tacoma level 27

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Port Coquitlam
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Pro Comp Rims;32" Duratrack Tires; OME heavy duty lift in rear; 2" spacer lift in front; custom raised bed in box; Lear canopy; grillcraft grill; Rosen Head unit; Trail gear sliders; Tinted windows all around; Intermittent Wipers; White LED dash; Deactivated seat belt buzzer; Blue Sea Fuse panel; BAMF light bar running 4 Lightforce 170's (2 HID); FX-R retro HID's 4300k, with amber halo's, BHLM with black reflector bowl; stealth mode; Fenix Hide-a-way flashers as DTRL's; VIAIR OBA kit with 2.5 gal tank; 14" Magnaflow stainless steel cat back exhaust; de-badged; Hybrid badge applied; seasonal 4wheel camper "Fleet"
    My understanding is: you generally don't want to use 4x4 on dry pavement because it will make steering difficult when going slow and it cause unnecessary wear on tires, transmission, differentials, etc. I would generally use 4x4 when 2x4 is not enough to get you where you are going. Personally I put it in 4hi on logging road to minimize spin which helps prevent unnecessary wear on the road. On dry rocks like you are describing a locks rear end would probably fair almost as well as 4x4.

Hope that helps.

5. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    The109

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    Thanks guys, that all makes sense. I just want to make sure I don't break my baby.

There was a highly skilled Hummer tour guide out there who was cruising around all over the place like a boss. I asked him which 4X4 was the best for Moab and he said all stock 4X4's suck, even hummers. Apparently he had a lot of aftermarket parts in his Hummer and an old Bronco. Then he told me about some dude who did parts of the trail in an old Crown Vic, here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

6. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    I've seen many videos of this guy even doing water crossings in that crown vic! :eek:

7. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    U can use 4wd on the rocks, just don't want to do much turning, but going straight up and over is fine.

8. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Nater

Nater Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vernal, UT
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport Access Cab
    Bestop, custom storage in bed, many more to come she's only two months old!
    Ive done Hells Revenge and many other trails in Moab as well as some near my houst that are mainly slickrock. The trick is a light right foot. you dont wanna be gassing it hard on corners or over obstacles. I broke a front spider gear in my 2001 tacoma by bouncing up a ledge. Its harder on your drivetrain than a dirt trail, but if you take it easy you should be fine. I've seen everything from bone stock chevy tahoes to fully built rock rigs on hells... awesome fun trail.

9. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    My first off road vehicle was a 1965 olds 88 :cool: That's what I had, so that's what I used :D. Next was a baja bug. I learned to drive offroad in 2wd.

I use 2wd most of the time offroad, especially if 2lo is an option as it is for me. I move in and out of 4wd and use the arbs as needed. My strategy is always to use the least capability, and that keeps me in touch with how much trouble I'm getting into.

10. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    The109

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    Ha! Badger you remind me of my uncle. I had a Titan 4X4, we were out in the snow going up a hill so I put it in 4 hi. He slapped my hand and said, "Not yet, you're not even slippin' son!"

11. Oct 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Hey Joe, next time your headed to Moab to bike and wheel gimmee a shout if you need someone to split up gas with.........:D

12. Oct 22, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    The109

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab

Will do!

13. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I use 4WD all the time and always 4lo for the offroading here in PA.

I've been to Moab with TTORA but I flew out and rode shotgun - that was many many years ago. You definitely want 4lo .....

Not necessarily because you 'need' it - those rocks are grippy as hell!! You can't be blasting thru there...SLOW and steady. The other reason - you don't want all the drive force on ONE axle - or else you will start breaking shit.

If you're climbing up a rock and you're in 2WD - all that torque and weight will be on that rear axle. Sooner or later, it's gonna snap!

14. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    rockgecko03

rockgecko03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rockwall, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma - Perpetual Project
  15. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Moab is lots of fun.

Here is an old jeep of mine from about 10 years ago. Only mods where 4" long arm lift and high clearance bumpers(no lockers). This thing went great on the poison spider/gold bar rim/the trail with the crack trail. I only scraped the bumper on this trail once. I still miss that jeep. But is sucked as a DD.

I would never take my newer stock Tacoma on those trail. I am not sure what it would take for a Tacoma but I would thing at least a 2" lift and a rear locker minimum. And you will be scraping a lot with that.

As for the 4low. The old jeep I would gun it in 4low with sharp turns no problem. Tacomas are a little heavier and longer so you might have to be a little more careful. But then again this is what they where made for.

On another note anyone know how to make a gif out of my photo's?

Untitled-Scanned-06.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-07.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-08.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-09.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-10.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-11.jpg
    Untitled-Scanned-12.jpg

16. Oct 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    OH! What was that Mr. Locker! Not necessary? That's what I thought!

OP, for every trail out there the entire group was either in 4hi and usually 4lo, so no real issues, other than some excessive use on the skinny pedal which broke 2 cvs. It appears that there is a general fear from people who think that their 4wd system is as fragile as a toothpick, it's not. Just pay attention to it and if it is saying there is too much stress on it, weather it be binding or hopping (hopping is bad, if you truck starts hopping immediately stop or you will break something) then try a different approach. Does slick rock have incredible amounts of traction? Yes, bit it's really not a big deal. If you do turn the wheels really sharply and feel it bind (I hardly ever did) just back off a little bit and keep going.

17. Oct 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Slickrock ate my side gear :|

I went to Moab and lost.

Products Discussed in

To Top