Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinking of a Tacoma again. Any improvements?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
LDrider is on a distinguished road
LDrider's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of a Tacoma again. Any improvements?

Greetings,

I'm looking for a new truck and a Tacoma is on my radar. Probably a regular cab 4x4 auto. Back in 2008 I purchased a brand new Access Cab 4x4 V6 auto and never warmed up to it. If you search my user name you can read about it.

Problems were mostly centered around a persistent problem with the auto trans "clunking" just before I would stop. That really drove me nuts. I also had a bad vibration at highway speeds that the dealer never could figure out. Steering also had a very weak on-center feel to it. I know anyone can manufacture a lemon, and I think I got one in that 2008. I sold it for loss just to get rid of it.

I currently have a F150 which I like a lot, but the new ones are just way, WAY too expensive around here (Maine). Their 6 cylinder engine has great power and even gets pretty decent mileage, more then my Toyota ever got.

I know this is a Tacoma forum and most people still here obviously love their trucks, but was wondering if Toyota has improved the auto trans and eliminated the vibration problems of the 2008+ trucks. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
ROLL TIDE
Jo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud ofJo Dog has much to be proud of

Name: Jo Dog
Jo Dog's Tacoma Gallery
I havent had any problems with mine or complaints
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Can't help ya on the auto part..i'd never own another manual tacoma after this one tho..the 6 speed is so shitty.

The trucks as a whole..ehhh not bad..this is probably my last one tho.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
I know that theoretically the 08-11 and 12-13 are basically identical other than a few minor design changes, but I can say that my 2013 feels MUCH more solid than the 2011 did...much tighter. However, 2011 was DCSB, and 2013 is a DCLB.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
No issues here with my 2012 TRD Off Road DCSB.........fixing to trip 12,000 miles in a couple of days
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Reg cab 4x4 auto. Smart.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Just a reminder the tacomas don't carry the loads a bigger truck does
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDrider View Post
Greetings,

I'm looking for a new truck and a Tacoma is on my radar. Probably a regular cab 4x4 auto. Back in 2008 I purchased a brand new Access Cab 4x4 V6 auto and never warmed up to it. If you search my user name you can read about it.

Problems were mostly centered around a persistent problem with the auto trans "clunking" just before I would stop. That really drove me nuts. I also had a bad vibration at highway speeds that the dealer never could figure out. Steering also had a very weak on-center feel to it. I know anyone can manufacture a lemon, and I think I got one in that 2008. I sold it for loss just to get rid of it.

I currently have a F150 which I like a lot, but the new ones are just way, WAY too expensive around here (Maine). Their 6 cylinder engine has great power and even gets pretty decent mileage, more then my Toyota ever got.

I know this is a Tacoma forum and most people still here obviously love their trucks, but was wondering if Toyota has improved the auto trans and eliminated the vibration problems of the 2008+ trucks. Thanks.
the thunk was your slip yoke. a little grease and that would of been fine.

vibration was also most likely drive train related. to me it sounds like the dealer had some bad tech's if they couldn't figure it out.

steering is still the same so test drive the new ones because nothing changed.

sorry you had a bad experience. I have literally kicked the crap out of my 08 and it's still running GREAT with zero issues besides the ones I have caused due to abuse.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Johnnywad is on a distinguished road
Johnnywad's Tacoma Gallery
Angry one improvement.....

The door on the garage door opener bin is poorly constructed and breaks often. It should have been made from a glass-filled polypropylene for added strength. There is no replacement but to purchase the entire overhead console @ $230. This was a disappointment.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
MotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura aboutMotorsportsAustin has a spectacular aura about
Name: Austin
MotorsportsAustin's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a 2012 double cab off road this year, I already know I made a mistake. The quality just isn't there, do a search on problems & drive train vibration especially (they've got all new vibration problems now).

I'd get a 6cyl 1990-1992 Jeep Comanche 4x4 in fantastic shape and for 20% the price of a new 6cyl Taco if you're thinking single cab 4x4.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Regular cabs are all 4 bangers, I have a manual 4 banger but test drove a automatic 4 and it seemed to work fine around town, but out on the freeway was really sluggish and underpowered, wind blasts from trucks would bring it down and if the cruise was on it would drop a gear to try and get back up to speed. If you are going 4 banger, I highly suggest the manual, if you go V6, auto all the way.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorsportsAustin View Post
I bought a 2012 double cab off road this year, I already know I made a mistake. The quality just isn't there, do a search on problems & drive train vibration especially (they've got all new vibration problems now).

I'd get a 6cyl 1990-1992 Jeep Comanche 4x4 in fantastic shape and for 20% the price of a new 6cyl Taco if you're thinking single cab 4x4.
A 20 year old Jeep Comanche over a brand new Tacoma?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
with the rebates the domestic trucks currently offer...I'd think one could buy an F-150 for the same price as a comparable Tacoma.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
27k and not one problem
Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
My truck seems to get better with age. When I first got it, the clutch was squeaking and they replaced the pressure plate under warranty. Then a hydraulic line to my clutch blew and left me stranded. Other than those two things early on, I have had no issues. The dealer fixed them both right the first time, and I'm happy now. I just hit 84k and change and plan on keeping this for the long haul.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see where much of anything has improved. It's a little dissappointing to me that a truck series 9 years running has not reached a better level of maturity. 9 years in and trucks are still rolling out the door with vibration issues and weak suspension. 9 years and we still don't even have heated mirrors . My 2002 Suzuki had heated mirrors for chrisake and it was under $17K. In cold wet climates that is a safety issue, not a luxury. I really don't get it. This is a $30K+ truck.

The genII series started out a good truck and by 2007 it should have been a great one. Many opportunities missed IMO. I plan to keep my 2007 for the long haul. I have way too much money in it now to do otherwise, and I've overcome most of the problems with it. There is nothing about the new ones that would open my wallet.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
A 20 year old Jeep Comanche over a brand new Tacoma?
Not to mention how hard it is to find one of those in decent shape. They are really cool though, I'd love to have one or a CJ8 Scrambler for a toy someday.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
^ My buddy in college had one of those...kick ass truck!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I LOVE my truck, but the few things I would change would be better brakes, sunroof option, more power (V6 is not bad but another 30-40HP would be nice), BETTER REAR SUSPENSION, and also better paint. Overall, I am very happy with my truck, been dependable since day one of ownership & has gotten me where I needed to go & done what I needed it to do. I have never been stranded once & would drive it anywhere without thinking twice about it.