Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

MPGs Gone down since switch to syn oil

Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Taco Town is on a distinguished road

Name: Rafael
Taco Town's Tacoma Gallery
MPGs Gone down since switch to syn oil

I have had my Taco for around 9k miles and when it was timed to change the oil I switched to Mobil 1. Ever since then my average MPGs went from 18.5 to 17, I keep track of all my fill ups. Has this happened to anyone and what have you done??? When I owned my previous car, 05 scion xb, I used restore Oil additive every oil change and noticed a bit of a difference in mpgs. Any thoughts, suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
coincidence does not impute causality
Old 10-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Chitoson has a spectacular aura aboutChitoson has a spectacular aura about
Chitoson's Tacoma Gallery
There are so many variables involved it would be impossible to help with the information you have given.

A strong wind, hills, or number of passengers, bla, bla, bla, could probably give you a 1.5 mpg difference, good luck tracking that.

Keep an eye on overall fuel consumption trends and see if you have an issue over time.

If you have the discipline, keep a detailed driving log (towing, hauling, passengers, weather, topography, speed, temp, season, city, highway, fuel brand...) and maybe you can identify an issue that will cost you 1.5 mpg.

I keep a very un-detailed spreadsheet of every fill up and have see a varation in fuel consumption of 4.4 mpg and it does not really concern me. I am averaging 20.4 mpg over every fill up since I bought the truck and that works for me.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Switching out the rear diff flluid to synthetic makes a HUGE improvement.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably winter blend gas that's causing it
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just did my first oil change and I have kept track of every fill up. I changed my oil at 5K and I noticed a 1 mile increase since I put Mobil 1 in.