1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Kit confused

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crosis, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Crosis

Crosis [OP] Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I have read so many threads on lift kits that my eyes are falling out yet I still dont know the best advice. I see so many are saying to get the Blistein 5100s but there are travel issues. They say you should use coils but not with the 5100s. Then I read the OME kits are the bomb but they use spacer plates and everyone hates those. I see they say get new UCAs but I dont see if they are compatible with all the kits. :notsure:

I am willing to spend up to 1500 for a 3" lift. WHat are my options?

2. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    FrustrationFabTaco

FrustrationFabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    11 Duramax Grandpa Truck Special
    :spy:
    5100's that i know of have no issues, (not sure if you mean new coils or what) but eibachs work best with the 5100s although there are no issues with using OME coils with them, you just cant set the 5100's above 0 setting. OME kits are great, the ome may use a small spacer plate if you want a full 3" but most only use the OME trim packer (can only be used with ome shocks) for the driver side lean. personally i plan on getting 5100's and eibach coils as well as light racing UCA's. New UCA's are not necessary in all cases, its better to have them to prevent any issues with alignment but are not 100% necessary. Any UCA's (light racing, camburg, total chaos, etc.) will work with all lifts.

a bilstein 5100 kit from toytec and light racing UCA's from headstrong offroad will run about $1000.

3. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    There you go. Less than $1500.

4. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Spacer lifts and the top plate spacer the OME uses are not the same thing. The top plate spacer for OME actually pushes the whole shock down, this will limit the uptravel of the coilover, but you will hit the bumpstops before you max out the shock, so in reality you are actually not limiting the uptravel of your suspension. so the top plate spacer used with OME coils and shocks will not make the suspension perform worse, a spacer lift using stock coils and shocks will make the suspension perform worse.

What do you mean by travel issues? You are limiting downtravel with most coilover lifts unless you get extended travel shocks and uniball UCAs

5. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    Crosis

Crosis [OP] Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Thanks guys. I have some more info. I am now leaning towards the Total Chaos or Icon UCAs with an OME kit and Dakar rear spring pack.

6. Oct 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Should serve you well.

7. Oct 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    faller

faller Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's @ 0.85, Toytec/Eibach coils, 1.5" AAL fbconvert's DIY AUX Input
    i'm more or less in the same boat as you. have found a lot of information and back-and-forths about what's good and what's not. i'm going to put in bilstein 5100s set at .85" and eibach coils with toytec aal in the rear. just tried to add the light racing uca's to my order but the girl said they don't have any because of a recall...she had no other information. i was on the fence about getting new UCAs but it's another $200 for the icon's so i decided to hold off and see how the alignment comes out. (going on a 2005 trd offroad access cab fyi).

8. Oct 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    MaloneS

MaloneS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    Sold, but going to by another
    OME FTW

9. Oct 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    Very satisfied with my toytec ultimate lift kit. everything you need. only minor, highly-doable trimming required :)

DSC02781.jpg

10. Oct 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    lodi781

lodi781 Alexander Supertramp

Member:
    shelton CT
    Vehicle:
    '16 4runner trail
    ARB by-51’s, dobinson springs, Gobi Rack, Black Oak single row LED roof bar
    Mine just came today...My buddy has the OME with TC UCA's and has 60 k on it with zero problems from the lift ( his wheel bearings went because he had LT tires on steel wheels) But no vibes, no problems..nothing...

Products Discussed in

To Top