Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Manually locking up the torque converter

Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Manually locking up the torque converter

Has anyone ever done something like thing on our A750 trans? How well does this tranny respond to this?

I've been researching valve body upgrades and came across a company called West Coast Cruisers. They sell a "kit" that with a flip of a switch will lock up/keep the torque converter locked up, but they want over $200. http://www.westcoastcruisers.com/transfer.php

I think I have figured the wiring out for this, just need me a relay.

I figure this would really help towing and goin slow down hill.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
what are the benefits of this? and are the potential benefits worth 200 bucks?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
My thinking is:
-Less heat build up from the torque converter, especially when going slow and loaded up.
-Can control down hill speed, like a manual, better

I wouldn't buy the "kit". I would do it my self for like $30

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and if anyone thinks there would be adverse effects?

I know on the older dodge diesel auto, you had to do this kind of mod unless you wanted to replace the tranny all the time.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
That kit looks like a $5 rocker switch wired to a $3 relay...

Interested to hear more about the principle. It would help with gas mileage too I would think. (highway)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
That kit looks like a $5 rocker switch wired to a $3 relay...

Interested to hear more about the principle. It would help with gas mileage too I would think. (highway)
exactly.

I just wonder if anyone here has done it. I've been searching other forums (IH8MUD, TTORA, XRU, and here), but have come up with nada.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The tranny not only locks and unlocks, but can achieve different levels of "lock up" in gears 3 thru 5. Toyota seems to have gotten it right, so I cant see a reason to mess with it.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, as always, is right on the money with this one.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The tranny not only locks and unlocks, but can achieve different levels of "lock up" in gears 3 thru 5. Toyota seems to have gotten it right, so I cant see a reason to mess with it.
U think their would be any adverse effects?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
so this would lock the transmission into one gear and not let it shift? that has the potential to be awesome...
Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
so this would lock the transmission into one gear and not let it shift? that has the potential to be awesome...
No, it's just preventing the transmission from releasing into a coast.

The transmission will constantly be engaged to the drive-train.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
U think their would be any adverse effects?
I dont know. There could be.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, just so it "acts" like a manual in a sense. It locks the converter so that it will not do partal shifts, it will stil shift.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #13

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
well our downhill assist BS is practically the same thing. i actually think its obnoxious when i tap my brakes going downhill and it shifts down on me instead of coasting.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #14

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I dont know. There could be.
I can see there some if its used incorrectly, but my intensions are going down hill and towing, except for starts.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #15

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well our downhill assist BS is practically the same thing. i actually think its obnoxious when i tap my brakes going downhill and it shifts down on me...
But this has the potential to acctually slow the truck down, unlike now where it may down shift but unlocked which does not slow it much, just builds a lot of heat (I think). I'll be installing my tranny temp gauge this week and I'll check on the temps.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #16

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
could you just leave it locked all the time?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #17

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
could you just leave it locked all the time?
I don't think so, cause from starts or coming to a stop, I think it would stall.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
My thinking is:
-Less heat build up from the torque converter, especially when going slow and loaded up.
-Can control down hill speed, like a manual, better
Slow and loaded up, the TCC is not locked anyways.
Depends on the vehicle, but most will only lock in direct and overdrive... some of the 5 and 6 speeds will lock in 3rd or 4th, but under any moderate load at all, it unlocks.
Locking under those conditions is going to be hard on the driveline.

Downhill speed control is a benefit, but the 2nd Gen system is already pretty tight... I don't think the TCC is unlocking.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #19

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Slow and loaded up, the TCC is not locked anyways.
Depends on the vehicle, but most will only lock in direct and overdrive... some of the 5 and 6 speeds will lock in 3rd or 4th, but under any moderate load at all, it unlocks.
Locking under those conditions is going to be hard on the driveline.

Downhill speed control is a benefit, but the 2nd Gen system is already pretty tight... I don't think the TCC is unlocking.
With going slow, ya the tc is not locked thus creating a lot of heat.

I don't believe that the tc is ever locked with down shifting to control down hill speed.

But I think I might tackle this this weekend. I'll update this as I learn more about it.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
The transfer case input shaft on the auto is MUCH smaller than the input shaft used in the manual transmission. Obviously they were anticipating much lower shock loads with the juice tranny. If you defeat that, the result could be a broken shaft.

Look here below where it says "updated information" in red: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ma-t-case.html