1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installing Power Mirrors

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by the_tick, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Jan 20, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    the_tick

the_tick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    I bought two remote mirrors in hopes of installing power mirrors on my base Tacoma. I then bought a switch from a junkyard from a 2001 Corolla. I have set up a testing station, looked at the wiring diagrams for both the Corolla remote mirror and the Tacoma remote mirror, connected everything via a 12 volt battery I bought at Radio Shack and everything works except one thing. The mirrors move up when you push the down, down when you push up, left when you push right and right when you push left.

There are three wires coming out of each mirror. A power wire, and two motor wires (one for up and down, and one for left and right). I can't find any way to get the wiring to work other than how I have it hooked up. I've switched the wires everyway possible. Is it all in the switches and I'm just out of luck? Can anyone offer any electrical expertise in what I may be doing wrong?

2. Jan 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm no expert, and you might want to wait for some one more qualified, but have you tried reversing the pos. and neg. going to the switch?

3. Jan 21, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    I have not tried that. I thought I had the grnd and the power wire figured out. I'll try that as soon as I get home. Thanks.

4. Jan 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Like I said I'm no expert, but electric motors are wonderful things in that they work forward and reverse depending on the polarity given to them? I think thats the right word? Do you have an inline fuse on your mock up?

5. Jan 21, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    You were right sonjay. I reversed the positive and negative on my test battery and it worked perfect. Now I'm going to have to figure out how to tie it in with the fuse box. I was planning on taking the positive power wire (newly found with your help) and attach it to a store bought 7.5 amp pigtail fuse. I went to the Toyota TIS site (is that the right name?) where I found info showing wich fuse is used for the Remote Mirror. It was the only 7.5 amp fuse in the box behind the change dish to the left of the steering wheel. I'm planning on putting in this new fuse and tying into that pigtail for power. Thanks for your suggestion and if you have any other ideas about better ways to get power I'm all ears... as I am no electrician myself.

6. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glad I could help! I'm not sure about finding a power source under the dash though?? Good luck!

7. Nov 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    dagarhart

dagarhart New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    I am courious how/if this is/was done. Does this already have a wire harness to tie into, or did you have to run your own power wires?

8. Jul 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    nuevoheroe

nuevoheroe New Member

Member:
    Hello ,

I have a 2007 tacoma , I have the wiring diagram . Now the power switch has two pink and two green( left and right mirrors) , also a black and white( ground ) , a brown(??) and a grey cable(power) . My question is , does the brown cable connect to the third cable on both mirrors. Thats what I got form the diagram ?
    Please advice.

BTW i have the bass model .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  9. Jul 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    nuevoheroe

nuevoheroe New Member

Member:
    To dagarhart , I believe its a separate circuit from the original wiring harness. Since the connections will not be there .

10. Apr 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    calebdnehus

calebdnehus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '98 Prerunner V6--2004 Tacoma facelift
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    I just installed a set of 01-04 power mirrors on my 98 but they keep blowing the 15amp fuse I have them on. I am using an add-a-circuit plugged into the clock/cig lighter fuse slot. When I would test the mirrors while installing them and putting panels back on, I used a 10amp fuse and it didnt get blown, however right before I button up the doors it blew and now its blowing even bigger fuses. Should I run a power wire straight off the battery or do you guys think there is a short somewhere along the way? I used as much factory wiring as possible from the junk yard but I had to make sections to extend the wires out of 18 gauge store wire. i think the factory gauge is 20-22. Would the section of 18 connecting the sections of 20-22 gauge be causing an amperage spike in turn blowing my fuses?

11. Apr 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    potstech

potstech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Did you pinch a wire or ground one out when you put it all back together. Do not overfuse it to try and find the problem as you can burn out the motor. Take it back apart and look at it again. Definite short somewhere.

12. Apr 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    calebdnehus

calebdnehus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '98 Prerunner V6--2004 Tacoma facelift
    K&N cold air intake FPIK, FlowMaster 40 series muffler, Euro Diamond clear headlights, 2003 tacoma tailights, bixenon HID headlights, 4 inch lift, pioneer headunit w/kicker door speakers(amped w/Rockford four channel), 2004 facelift, led dash light mod, painted needles, black auto shifter, leather steering wheel, ultra gauge. Plenty to come... Still
    Okay, thanks man. I'll probably pull the door panels once it dries up out here. Hopefully it's there and not somewhere else down the line

Products Discussed in

To Top