Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma vs Tundra

Old 10-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma vs Tundra

He Everybody,

I have searched.for a basic why Tacoma would be better but will not found the answer via search function. the advice on this forum has been great and i would also like to thank those that contribute. I am sure you know how many people you help. Anytime on cigarette lighter is a real savior for me. Current And future buying habits have been greatly influenced here. I purchased a new taco and I am very happy with it. A little more review and it looks like I could have gotten a Tundra for the same price with available incentives. May be buyers remorse. Fuel mileage seems close on both. I hope i am not coming off butt hurt. I do love my Tacoma. First new car ever at the age of 31, waited until i was Financially secure and i think i made a good investment. I think the value will hold when I go to turn in it in. I may own for a long time though. It seems very solid and love to see the 300,000 posts.

So to the heart of the matter:

As a daily driver, 72 miles round trip x5 weekly
Haul small loads, (mostly dogs)
Comfortable
Does not need a lot of features, as I like simple
Good handling
Good gear storage, (go bag, gear for work, hunting)

Is the Tacoma better than Tundra?

Thanks for any answers that are positive. Calling me a newb, or other related terms are not helpful to anyone. I would appreciate it if a negative personal attack be used elsewhere. Plus i am already aware of my faults, which would be a waste of your keyboard skills.LOL

THANKS AGAIN GUYS.
Charlie
Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
WRATH OF ATREYU
Atreyus is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Atreyus's Tacoma Gallery
Me personally in terms of daily driving and hauling light to medium loads every now and then. Then the tacoma is better than the tundra in that sense. Unless your actually using the power of the tundra hauling heavy stuff like for construction or you know a space shuttle, like the tundra just did a few days ago. Then I'd see it beneficial in that sense. But as a daily driver it wouldn't be wise to get a tundra. But in terms of power tundra is better than tacoma but it all comes down to how your going to end up using the truck.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
JPC2061 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: J.P.
JPC2061's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra is a wayy better choice if you are looking for power just as the top post says but for the daily commute truck with the weekend side hauling. I'd say go with the Tacoma plus Tacomas are cheaper.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a tundra is overkill for hauling dogs and some hunting gear. Though that depends on your definition of hunting gear...a gun and a sleeping bag or a 4 person side by side and 10 elephant guns heh heh
Old 10-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma all the way .
Old 10-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you need the space and towing of the Tundra the Tacoma should suit you well. My next truck will likely be a full size just because I want something a little bigger but as far as capabilities the Taco has been more than enough to tow my boat, haul my kayak, mountain bike, etc. go off road, and it's a beast in the snow since ditching the stock tires. My friends dad has a new Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7L and he gets about the same gas mileage I do (and considerably more than the Silverado 2500H with the 6.0 and a 6 inch lift it replaced).
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
tundras are built for large loads and towing capacity

tacomas are built to be everyday use mid-level tow/load trucks.

It's like comparing a ranger to a f-150, they serve different purposes; it's up to you to decide for what purpose you're going to use the truck, and which truck is better suited to your needs
Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Tundra! You never know if your family will need to tow a space shuttle.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
AmericanAdventurist.com
TACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACODOC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (FMF)
TACODOC1's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra is much heavier duty if that is your need. Many component commonalities exist between the Tundra and the new 200 Series Land Cruiser - Toyota's flagship 4WD. Massive brakes, wheel bearings etc on the Tundra are just some of the benefits of this cross breeding.

But if you dont need the uber heavy duty running gear, the Tacoma is the obvious choice.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the input, I just figured that bigger was better. Especially since fuel economy is so close. Thanks fellas.

My dealer ship is offering buy one get 2. If I buy a tundra, I get a scion IQ for free. Well, I would have to party tax tag and title. Tacoma also qualifies.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
mtnrunner is on a distinguished road
Marines:
mtnrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I drove both and went with a Tacoma. My dealership had a base 5.7L double cab Tundra with no upgrades for ~$31k with the rebates. The Tundra is definitely a badass truck but unless you are hauling or towing a lot of stuff it is a little excessive for a daily driver in my opinion.

The Tacoma gets better mpg and has a much higher resale value. You get more bang for your buck if you're looking for SR5 or TRD options.

There's certainly something to be said for having the powerful v8 under the hood but I still think the Tacoma is a much better value...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynch View Post
My dealer ship is offering buy one get 2. If I buy a tundra, I get a scion IQ for free. Well, I would have to party tax tag and title. Tacoma also qualifies.
Will they discount the price of the Tundra or Tacoma by the purchase price of the IQ?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynch View Post
I appreciate the input, I just figured that bigger was better. Especially since fuel economy is so close. Thanks fellas.
Hey man, just double check the fuelly.com stats. A food friend of mine just bought a 4x4 5.7L and he is getting no more than 12mpg around town. Not even comparable to the tacoma. Also, the Tacoma will hold much better resale value as they have a better reputation.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
this is a question that bothered me quite a bit. right after i bought my used taco, i realized i could have bought a nice tundra of same year for about the same price.

but after feeling sorry for a bit, i realized that i would NEVER attempt the mild trails that the taco has done, my taco hauls everything i need it to, including family. and i would be really upset at gas pumps in a tundra. the tacoma is a fantastic little machine that is big enough for any non commercial user. if i was rich, i would have both, but no matter what, not having a midsize or smaller truck would not fit my lifestyle.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
this is a question that bothered me quite a bit. right after i bought my used taco, i realized i could have bought a nice tundra of same year for about the same price.

but after feeling sorry for a bit, i realized that i would NEVER attempt the mild trails that the taco has done, my taco hauls everything i need it to, including family. and i would be really upset at gas pumps in a tundra. the tacoma is a fantastic little machine that is big enough for any non commercial user. if i was rich, i would have both, but no matter what, not having a midsize or smaller truck would not fit my lifestyle.
Agreed. I made a mistake by trading in my tacoma on a Tundra. I drive 45 miles per day for work and the full size just doesn't make sense as a commuter vehicle and for what I do with it. Just my 0.2
Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Thought about a Tundra. My dad has one and I drive it often when we come back home to visit. It is a smooth ride and has plenty of room. The gas mileage is not the same as the Tacoma regardless of the sticker. As smooth as it is, it is also very big and not so manuverable in tight places. This limits the places you can 4x4, but it does well off road. I'll stick with my Tacoma for price, gas, and function until I need to do a lot more haling than now.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra's a damn nice truck but it's big if you don't need big buy the Tacoma if your towing a 8,000# camper you'll need it.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
Qwkzotc is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Dan
Qwkzotc's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma over Tundra

Had Limited Crewmax for four years. Got soo tired of manuvering it into tight places with 90% around town driving while never really using the power, the huge back seat area or the full bed. The only thing I tow is a utility trailer with a quad or my bike.

Tacoma is much easier to zip around town and park etc.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
jbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the rough
jbrenn's Tacoma Gallery
I use my truck in about the same way you do. Loads of about 200 pounds. I have even moved a 4 person hot tub. Never tow and the 4 cylinder is enough for me.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
By the looks of your needs, your choice in the Tacoma was a good one.
I have owned both, currently driving a 4.6L Tundra that I traded my 06 Tacoma DC for.
I tow a lot in the winter time & do not regret my decision but do miss the tacoma's footprint when trying to negotiate tight trail heads for hiking & kayaking.
There are pluses & minuses to both vehicles but the Tacoma is a great choice and all around on target for what you do imo.
Now if I could have both a tacoma & tundra that would be awesome.
Congrats on your new truck!