1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma vs Tundra

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CLynch, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    CLynch

CLynch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Upstate New York
    None
    He Everybody,

I have searched.for a basic why Tacoma would be better but will not found the answer via search function. the advice on this forum has been great and i would also like to thank those that contribute. I am sure you know how many people you help. Anytime on cigarette lighter is a real savior for me. Current And future buying habits have been greatly influenced here. I purchased a new taco and I am very happy with it. A little more review and it looks like I could have gotten a Tundra for the same price with available incentives. May be buyers remorse. Fuel mileage seems close on both. I hope i am not coming off butt hurt. I do love my Tacoma. First new car ever at the age of 31, waited until i was Financially secure and i think i made a good investment. I think the value will hold when I go to turn in it in. I may own for a long time though. It seems very solid and love to see the 300,000 posts.

So to the heart of the matter:

As a daily driver, 72 miles round trip x5 weekly
    Haul small loads, (mostly dogs)
    Comfortable
    Does not need a lot of features, as I like simple
    Good handling
    Good gear storage, (go bag, gear for work, hunting)

Is the Tacoma better than Tundra?

Thanks for any answers that are positive. Calling me a newb, or other related terms are not helpful to anyone. I would appreciate it if a negative personal attack be used elsewhere. Plus i am already aware of my faults, which would be a waste of your keyboard skills.LOL

THANKS AGAIN GUYS.
    Charlie

2. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    Atreyus

Atreyus WRATH OF ATREYU

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    San Gabriel, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 TRD SPORT
    5k Headlights HID's DDM, 3k fog HID's DDM, Interior LEDs, License plate LED, Tailgate mod
    Me personally in terms of daily driving and hauling light to medium loads every now and then. Then the tacoma is better than the tundra in that sense. Unless your actually using the power of the tundra hauling heavy stuff like for construction or you know a space shuttle, like the tundra just did a few days ago. Then I'd see it beneficial in that sense. But as a daily driver it wouldn't be wise to get a tundra. But in terms of power tundra is better than tacoma but it all comes down to how your going to end up using the truck.

3. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    JPC2061

JPC2061 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.P.
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black SR5
    Weather tech Floor liners, Flash Light mod, MBRP Exhaust, Grille Guard, Tinted Taillights, Side Steps, Front Windows Tinted to match rear, De badged
    Tundra is a wayy better choice if you are looking for power just as the top post says but for the daily commute truck with the weekend side hauling. I'd say go with the Tacoma plus Tacomas are cheaper.

4. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    Seems like a tundra is overkill for hauling dogs and some hunting gear. Though that depends on your definition of hunting gear...a gun and a sleeping bag or a 4 person side by side and 10 elephant guns heh heh

5. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Unless you need the space and towing of the Tundra the Tacoma should suit you well. My next truck will likely be a full size just because I want something a little bigger but as far as capabilities the Taco has been more than enough to tow my boat, haul my kayak, mountain bike, etc. go off road, and it's a beast in the snow since ditching the stock tires. My friends dad has a new Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7L and he gets about the same gas mileage I do (and considerably more than the Silverado 2500H with the 6.0 and a 6 inch lift it replaced).

6. Oct 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    tundras are built for large loads and towing capacity

tacomas are built to be everyday use mid-level tow/load trucks.

It's like comparing a ranger to a f-150, they serve different purposes; it's up to you to decide for what purpose you're going to use the truck, and which truck is better suited to your needs

7. Oct 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Get the Tundra! You never know if your family will need to tow a space shuttle.
    [​IMG]

8. Oct 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    TACODOC1

TACODOC1 AmericanAdventurist.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD V6 SR5 TRD Offroad
    See TACODOC.com!
    Tundra is much heavier duty if that is your need. Many component commonalities exist between the Tundra and the new 200 Series Land Cruiser - Toyota's flagship 4WD. Massive brakes, wheel bearings etc on the Tundra are just some of the benefits of this cross breeding.

But if you dont need the uber heavy duty running gear, the Tacoma is the obvious choice.

9. Oct 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    CLynch

CLynch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Upstate New York
    None
    I appreciate the input, I just figured that bigger was better. Especially since fuel economy is so close. Thanks fellas.

My dealer ship is offering buy one get 2. If I buy a tundra, I get a scion IQ for free. Well, I would have to party tax tag and title. Tacoma also qualifies.

10. Oct 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    mtnrunner

mtnrunner Active Member

Member:
    Rocky Mountains
    Vehicle:
    21 6MT
    I drove both and went with a Tacoma. My dealership had a base 5.7L double cab Tundra with no upgrades for ~$31k with the rebates. The Tundra is definitely a badass truck but unless you are hauling or towing a lot of stuff it is a little excessive for a daily driver in my opinion.

The Tacoma gets better mpg and has a much higher resale value. You get more bang for your buck if you're looking for SR5 or TRD options.

There's certainly something to be said for having the powerful v8 under the hood but I still think the Tacoma is a much better value...

11. Oct 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    JCBigler

JCBigler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chouteau, OK
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 4WD, SR5, DC, TRD OR w/tow
    stock, Yaesu FT-8800R with a Maldol EX-107B, rear breather mod
    Will they discount the price of the Tundra or Tacoma by the purchase price of the IQ?

12. Oct 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    Hey man, just double check the fuelly.com stats. A food friend of mine just bought a 4x4 5.7L and he is getting no more than 12mpg around town. Not even comparable to the tacoma. Also, the Tacoma will hold much better resale value as they have a better reputation.

13. Oct 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    this is a question that bothered me quite a bit. right after i bought my used taco, i realized i could have bought a nice tundra of same year for about the same price.

but after feeling sorry for a bit, i realized that i would NEVER attempt the mild trails that the taco has done, my taco hauls everything i need it to, including family. and i would be really upset at gas pumps in a tundra. the tacoma is a fantastic little machine that is big enough for any non commercial user. if i was rich, i would have both, but no matter what, not having a midsize or smaller truck would not fit my lifestyle.

14. Oct 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    Agreed. I made a mistake by trading in my tacoma on a Tundra. I drive 45 miles per day for work and the full size just doesn't make sense as a commuter vehicle and for what I do with it. Just my 0.2

15. Oct 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Thought about a Tundra. My dad has one and I drive it often when we come back home to visit. It is a smooth ride and has plenty of room. The gas mileage is not the same as the Tacoma regardless of the sticker. As smooth as it is, it is also very big and not so manuverable in tight places. This limits the places you can 4x4, but it does well off road. I'll stick with my Tacoma for price, gas, and function until I need to do a lot more haling than now.

16. Oct 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Tundra's a damn nice truck but it's big if you don't need big buy the Tacoma if your towing a 8,000# camper you'll need it.

17. Oct 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Qwkzotc

Qwkzotc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    pyrite mica
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat-Back, 4X4 Off Road package w/Entune, Katzkin leather interior, AVID Light bar, AVID sliders, dual Rigid D2 Dualies, Rigid 30" e Series LED bar, 3" lift kit, Ride Rite Airbags, Centerline WDH
    Had Limited Crewmax for four years. Got soo tired of manuvering it into tight places with 90% around town driving while never really using the power, the huge back seat area or the full bed. The only thing I tow is a utility trailer with a quad or my bike.

Tacoma is much easier to zip around town and park etc.

18. Oct 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    I use my truck in about the same way you do. Loads of about 200 pounds. I have even moved a 4 person hot tub. Never tow and the 4 cylinder is enough for me.

19. Oct 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    By the looks of your needs, your choice in the Tacoma was a good one.
    I have owned both, currently driving a 4.6L Tundra that I traded my 06 Tacoma DC for.
    I tow a lot in the winter time & do not regret my decision but do miss the tacoma's footprint when trying to negotiate tight trail heads for hiking & kayaking.
    There are pluses & minuses to both vehicles but the Tacoma is a great choice and all around on target for what you do imo.
    Now if I could have both a tacoma & tundra that would be awesome.
    Congrats on your new truck!

20. Oct 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.

Products Discussed in

To Top