1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black housing with projector

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NWTacoGuy, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Oct 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    Okay so I know there are multiple threads on this :mad:...hell I even started a different one. Problem is this:

I have an H1 retrofit set of HID's with the mini gatlins sitting at home in a box. I really want to do the BHLM the more I look at them. I am very apprehensive about removing my stock housings because I live in western WA and we get about 7-8 months of constant rain. I am absolutely ANAL when it comes to the appearance of my vehicles!!

If I were to get an aftermarket black projector headlight like the ones below, would I be able to just mount my H1's inside without tearing the housings apart?? :confused: I know they probably aren't the best ones but like I said where I live, if any moisture can get through then it will...and then the project would have been all for naught anyway!!

http://www.protuninglab.com/05totahaledp.html

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/4-...adlights-_-Black-CCFL-_-LP_TTA05BB_KS/775657/

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/In...ear-Projector-Headlights-_-CWS_2040B2/825956/

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Tacoma-2005-Projector-Headlights/dp/B004WOWFLM

Thanks in advance,
    -James

2. Oct 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not without tearing the housings apart, and even doing that, it's going to require some MAJOR surgery.

Your H1 kit is designed to replace the H4 and shroud in the stock housings.
    The aftermarket "projectors" use an entirely different bulb and mounting system.

Moose and 737 have done it, one of them went through two or three housings before getting it right.

There's no way around splitting the housings.... and if it's leakage you are concerned about... the aftermarket housings ALL leak and need to be sealed with GE Silicone-II.

You're really better off getting on Amazon and getting a set of Depo stock housings. Around $160 shipped, available with black surrounds.
    They are one of the best replacements you can get.

3. Oct 21, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
    Damn,

That is not the answer I was looking for. If I have to split them anyway I might as well just split the ones in my truck and paint them?

Dammit....I also don't know if I have enough confidence in my ability to crack them open and seal them correctly so they do not leak. Heavily considering paying someone to do this. I normally do my own mods just not sure I want to tackle this one.

-James

Products Discussed in

To Top