Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking at a 05 Tacoma

Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
amcford is on a distinguished road
Name: scott
amcford's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at a 05 Tacoma

I'm new here, thanks to those who run the place!

I'm looking at my first Tacoma, a 2005 regular cab 4wd 5 speed 107,000 miles. It looks very clean. I can tell it has new front & rear springs & shocks, as well as what looks like a 1-2" spacer on the front springs.

Are there any particular trouble areas I should look for on this truck, considering the mileage?? What can I expect to need replacement in the next 75,000 miles?? Thanks!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Saskamoose is on a distinguished road
Name: Christian
Saskamoose's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome,

Make sure you get underneath and check the frame for rust. Some surface rust is normal, holes and porous spots should be taken very seriously.

Good luck with the truck.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
amcford is on a distinguished road
Name: scott
amcford's Tacoma Gallery
OK, the Tacoma I was looking at was at a local Toyota dealer. It was just traded in, not cleaned up or checked out. I took it for a 10+ mile drive, seemed OK. The salesman said they won't sell it until they go over it completely. The truck has a new Pennsylvania state inspection, done a few weeks ago, & they are pretty strict.

Anyways, the salesman calls me this afternoon & says they won't sell the truck, their mechanic found a problem with the rear differential, & they won't fix it or sell it to the public, they will wholesale it thru an auction only.

I'm glad they were honest about it, I couldn't hear any unusual noises from the rear, & there was no leakage.

So, are rear differential problems common on Tacoma???
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcford View Post
OK, the Tacoma I was looking at was at a local Toyota dealer. It was just traded in, not cleaned up or checked out. I took it for a 10+ mile drive, seemed OK. The salesman said they won't sell it until they go over it completely. The truck has a new Pennsylvania state inspection, done a few weeks ago, & they are pretty strict.

Anyways, the salesman calls me this afternoon & says they won't sell the truck, their mechanic found a problem with the rear differential, & they won't fix it or sell it to the public, they will wholesale it thru an auction only.

I'm glad they were honest about it, I couldn't hear any unusual noises from the rear, & there was no leakage.

So, are rear differential problems common on Tacoma???
Seems like more then a rear differential if its going to auction but at least they were good about it...as far as i know there are not problems with the rear differential on this site but im sure there are a few incidents just not common occurences