Notices

HARD TO START WHEN COLD

Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #41
10 in. Member
Mep is on a distinguished road
Mep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beers View Post
I have had this issue a few times. I swear I could smell fuel in the air once the truck finally starts. Has anyone else noticed this?
I've noticed this too. It tells me that the mixture while starting is too rich (not enough air or too much fuel), or the ignition is not enabled. It's most likely the latter. The computer is probably waiting for a signal from the tac or the oil pressure transmitter to say that the engine is being cranked before giving the signal to fire a spark. A stupid design if it is.

If the dealer doesn't resolve this for me, I'll make them investigate it every single time I take it in for an oil change until my warranty expires in 4 years.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #42
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
My '98 does this as well. It always starts on the second try; seems to only happen when it's under 30 degrees outside. Of course, my battery is from 09 so that's probably the problem.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #43
Beers is on a distinguished road
Beers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mep View Post
I've noticed this too. It tells me that the mixture while starting is too rich (not enough air or too much fuel), or the ignition is not enabled. It's most likely the latter. The computer is probably waiting for a signal from the tac or the oil pressure transmitter to say that the engine is being cranked before giving the signal to fire a spark. A stupid design if it is.

If the dealer doesn't resolve this for me, I'll make them investigate it every single time I take it in for an oil change until my warranty expires in 4 years.
Thanks. Those were the same thoughts I had. I'm going to get a thermometer for the garage and take notes when it happens again. Maybe even record the start in the mornings with my phone.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #44
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mep View Post
Well, it's kind of necessary for the ECU to know where the crankshaft is to know when to fire which plug and when.

I found that out the hard way years ago. 200 miles from home, the remnants of Hurricane Ike blew through Michigan, and after driving in rain so heavy I didn't know it was even possible to have that much water fall from the sky, that sensor died in my Civic (it was part of the distributor in that car). No spark because it didn't know when to make spark. It was a weird experience - I was driving down the road in 5th gear, the car just starts slowing down and I looked down and the tach read 0 when still in gear at speed. Scared me half to death. I initially thought I snapped the timing belt.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #45
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyotaco06 View Post
IMO, it must be something other than temperatures making your truck start slower at 40degrees, because lets face it, 40 isn't cold

I have noticed my truck will hesitate and start rough at around 0degreesF, and this morning I am glad I don't need to use it.....its -17degreesF.

I have no doubt that my pickup would start at -17F, the noise it makes for the first 4 seconds isn't the greatest. I try not to start mine when the temps drop below 0F without using the block heater.

I would say battery issue in your case.

Oh, one more thing. When the temps go from freezing to above daily, this freeze/melt can occur in your gas tank, adding more water than desired to your fuel. This can also make your truck hard to start, hence why people use DEET. It helps to unfreeze frozen gas lines, commonly used up here. During winter, I always try and keep at least 3/4 of a tank of gas in the truck. This greatly reduces the amount of moisture buildup you get on the sides of an emptier gas tank. I learned this lesson the hard way.
40 is cold in Houston. Lol, and it doesn't hesitate to start when it's oh let's say 55+ degrees outside.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #46
Jackass is on a distinguished road
Name: Jack
Jackass's Tacoma Gallery
New truck with 2000 miles and had to crank twice this morning and just now. Temp is 40f. Wtf....
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #47
Beers is on a distinguished road
Beers's Tacoma Gallery
The times I have seen this the temperature was showing less than 40f on the mirror at engine start. I have yet to see the problem occur when the temperature is above 40f.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #48
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
40 is cold in Houston. Lol, and it doesn't hesitate to start when it's oh let's say 55+ degrees outside.
Fired mine up at -8 degrees this morning, did not use block heater. Truck fired up 1st try, but it sure wasn't happy about it
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #49
ravenmad is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Name: Jason
ravenmad's Tacoma Gallery
So in my push button start car how am I going to slow down and wait for then pump to prime? Current high pressure fuel systems have multiple check valves to prevent back flow and reduce priming times to nil.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #50
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
New truck with 2000 miles and had to crank twice this morning and just now. Temp is 40f. Wtf....
same...new truck with 1500 miles...Twice its sputtered on startup when the temps been 30-26f sitting overnight...I even turn the igntion to on and wait 5 secs or so the computer can wake up and it still does it...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #51
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyotaco06 View Post
Fired mine up at -8 degrees this morning, did not use block heater. Truck fired up 1st try, but it sure wasn't happy about it
Damn thats cold where you at? I've had 5-7 degrees every morning for the last week or two.

And the truck is starting just fine.