Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HARD TO START WHEN COLD

Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
mardoqueo galindo is on a distinguished road
Name: marcos
mardoqueo galindo's Tacoma Gallery
HARD TO START WHEN COLD

hello guys,i need some help with my tacoma DB 2008 V6,44,000 mls when is cold is hard to start,i have to try 3 to 4 times ,when warm no problems at the first try brooom,please any help,i been follow all maintenance schedules,new spark plugs,new K&N filter,every 5000 ml change oil Mobile 1 syntetic whit om filter,gasoline the one in the midle(98 0ctane) i guess
Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Test your battery.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
hard to start when cold

thank you mister montana,batery is okay but i'm thancksfull for the time you tuck to try to help me out
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Had any electrical work done? Stereo, alarm, or remote start installed?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
your battery could be fine but the cold cranking amps can still be weak or at least thats what I was told can happen with batteries
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
mmorri64 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mmorri64's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel pump....turn your key to the on position and wait a few seconds(5-10) to allow fuel pump to activate
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Is the engine turning over at a normal speed when cold?

Just to absolutely eliminate the battery and starter I would have the battery load tested and check voltage drop across the starter cables.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Are you running the OEM battery? Find a battery with cold cranking AMPs.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorri64 View Post
Fuel pump....turn your key to the on position and wait a few seconds(5-10) to allow fuel pump to activate
This ^^
Old 11-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorri64 View Post
obviously something is wrong if you have to go that route, but could eliminate possibilites
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
obviously something is wrong if you have to go that route, but could eliminate possibilites
It does seem to help at times
Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
thank you all guys for the answers,i havent' done nothing to the truck,but the battery is not the OM,so im going to double check on that and im going to follow all the advaices THANKS.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Special Edition Member

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgroce View Post
It does seem to help at times
It may but no one should have to get in there truck and wait for the fuel pump its definitely not normal...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Are you kidding me? How could something be wrong if you have to do this? You can't start a truck without fuel.... you wait for fuel pump to prime, then start. Go try starting your lawn mower without pushing the little pump button.... see how long it takes you to start it. The only reason it works 9 times out of 10 is the fact that it can provide enough fuel fast enough. On a cold morning when the pump motor is cold, it might be weaker than normal.

OP, just give your truck a sec in the morning before you crank it over. Every vehicle has a fuel pump that has to prime the system before it can start. When you immediately turn the key over you're not allowing it much time to prime the engine.... every car has to do this.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
your battery could be fine but the cold cranking amps can still be weak or at least thats what I was told can happen with batteries
^^^This. I just had to replace mine. Lasted me 124,000 kms, but once the weather dropped it started to fail me non-stop. Took it in and had it tested under load, it was only putting out 240 cold cranking amps (rated at 7xx?) After popping in a new one, boom no more problems.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Special Edition Member

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Are you kidding me? How could something be wrong if you have to do this? You can't start a truck without fuel.... you wait for fuel pump to prime, then start. Go try starting your lawn mower without pushing the little pump button.... see how long it takes you to start it. The only reason it works 9 times out of 10 is the fact that it can provide enough fuel fast enough. On a cold morning when the pump motor is cold, it might be weaker than normal.

OP, just give your truck a sec in the morning before you crank it over. Every vehicle has a fuel pump that has to prime the system before it can start. When you immediately turn the key over you're not allowing it much time to prime the engine.... every car has to do this.
First off I never heard of a new vehicle where you have to wait for the fuel pump....regardless what you say its not normal for a new vehicle and second were not driving $30,000 lawn mowers....I get what your saying but I never wait for my fuel pump..only thing I do is let it sit for a minute to get the juices flowing before I take off in cold weather
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Quote:
First off I never heard of a new vehicle where you have to wait for the fuel pump....regardless what you say its not normal for a new vehicle and second were not driving $30,000 lawn mowers....I get what your saying but I never wait for my fuel pump..only thing I do is let it sit for a minute to get the juices flowing before I take off in cold weather
Since we don't agree on this, I'm going to try and find a reference that says that you SHOULD wait for fuel pump, and lets see if you can find a reference that says we don't have to. I get the same issue every once in awhile since I have the same bad habits. Its always solved by slowing down. I run into people doing this bad habit ALOT, and I've yet to hear anyone say it didn't fix their issues. Fuel pump needs to build pressure....
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Special Edition Member

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
also the fuel system keeps pressure in the lines even after you shut it of. As soon as you start your truck the fuels ready to go that's also why you have a system check a few hours after the vehicle is shut off to moniter pressure. I know first hand when I installed my Supercharger and I changed out the injectors and took off the fuel rails fuel squirted every where due to the pressure in the lines.The fuel doesn't go back like a lawn mower thus why you have to prime before you start a lawn mower
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #19
Special Edition Member

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Since we don't agree on this, I'm going to try and find a reference that says that you SHOULD wait for fuel pump, and lets see if you can find a reference that says we don't have to. I get the same issue every once in awhile since I have the same bad habits. Its always solved by slowing down. I run into people doing this bad habit ALOT, and I've yet to hear anyone say it didn't fix their issues. Fuel pump needs to build pressure....
As I stated above there's fuel pressure in the lines even after shut off. No need to wait if you have to wait there's a problem
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Battery problems.

1st clean battery terminals and out side of battery.

2nd charge battery

If ok that was your problem.

If not take to dealer to get free battery check.

This time of the year when it gets colder is when a weak battery will fail.

You might have a weak cell that works fine when temps warm but not so well.