Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Drums

Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
roose019 is on a distinguished road
roose019's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Drums

So I wanted to take a look at the brakes on my truck and could not get the rear drums off. I've never taken them off before and this is my first Tacoma (or Toyota for that matter). I've worked on lots of other vehicles with drum brakes and most come right off once the wheels are off. I have seen trucks with set screws that held the drums in place, but I don't see anything like that here. I tried tapping on it with a hammer, but that didn't seem to do anything. There is a little surface rust on it so I thought maybe it was just stuck on. Before anyone asks, no, I did not have the parking brake on.

Am I missing something here?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
lol glad i read the whole thing before blurting PARKING BRAKE!

other than spraying some penetrating oil around the flange and stud holes and giving a good beatdown, screwing a bolt into the threaded holes against the flange is all i know to do. and i have no idea what size/pitch those holes are.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Try this....
Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
STOP: If you force it off using the methods described above you could damage the springs that hold them all together.

You need to loosen the brake adjustment behind the backing plate. There is a rubber oval plug that you will need to pop out and use a brake spoon to loosen the brake adjustment and they will slide right off.

Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
  2. Release the parking brake.
  3. Remove the rear wheel.
  4. Remove the inspection plug from the brake drum Backing Plate.
  5. Insert a suitable regular screwdriver through the plug hole in the drum and hold the adjusting lever away from the adjuster.
  6. Insert a second regular screwdriver and turn the brake shoe adjuster to reduce the size of the adjuster.
  7. Remove the brake drum.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
roose019 is on a distinguished road
roose019's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
99% of the time they are stuck to the hub if you can't move it at all the breaks are not holding it. Once it's free and you can't get it off then you may have to back the breaks off. The 8MM bolt in the drum often works.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
99% of the time they are stuck to the hub if you can't move it at all the breaks are not holding it. Once it's free and you can't get it off then you may have to back the breaks off. The 8MM bolt in the drum often works.

Brakes for Gods sake! Brakes.

And what you said is true most of the time. You should still back off the adjustment device JIC.