Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can anyone tell me what's going on with these spark plugs?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
devldogs55 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Infantry Rifleman 1st Bn 7th Marines
devldogs55's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone tell me what's going on with these spark plugs?

Well I did a bit of a tune-up today and changing the spark plugs was on the list. It's on a 2007 Tacoma V6 4x4.

Here's a couple of the plugs I pulled out. All plugs looked like the first two pictures, but the driver's side plug closest to the rear of the truck (don't know the # of the cylinder) was a little wet. It was the only one that was wet though.

Plugs likely hadn't been changed EVER. They were the typical Denso on one side and NGK on the other which I've only ever seen done by the factory, and the truck has about 80k miles on it. My guess is those plugs have 80k miles on them as well.

Also it's "interesting" to note that all of the old plugs were eroded away so much that the gap was over .060 on all of them. One was as much as .075 !
No wonder my mileage was so bad!

And the wet one
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like normal wear. Is that oil on the bottom one? Smell like gas?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Was the oily plug loose? I've found 2 things. First, plugs in these trucks and some other vehicles that I've had can come loose over time. I think it is probably the difference in expansion between the aluminum head and the plug causing that. I've never seen it happen in a cast iron head. Second, the recommended service interval is too long for my taste. I pulled mine last time at 40K instead of 30K because I was driving thousands of highway miles and the ODO racked up before I could get the work done. The erosion at 40K was way more than I expected. None of the plugs were at full torque either. I plan to pull mine at 20K this time, and will probably stick with a 20K service interval.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
None of the plugs were lose - and it smells like gasoline. Thanks for that chart too! It'll save me some searching next time.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
When was the last time you cleaned your MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor)? It is VERY easy to do and will help the computer figure out the proper mixture. I do mine every six months. Also make sure you have anti-seize on those plug threads.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...sensor+cleaner
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body yesterday (same day as plugs). I basically followed the writeup here on this board to the T.

Big thanks to genxer36 and chris4x4. Doing either job isn't hard but I've never done it on the 4.0 before. I'm still used to the 3VZE, so having those writeups was awesome.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like normal wear for a plug with that many miles on it. That's a LONG time to go without changing them, I'd guess you'll see some pretty noticeable improvements after your new ones.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
That looks like normal wear for a plug with that many miles on it. That's a LONG time to go without changing them, I'd guess you'll see some pretty noticeable improvements after your new ones.
^^This is what I'm thinking. The plugs in the V6 are supposed to be changed every 30k miles so considering your truck went more than double the recommended interval, it's not surprising they don't look great. To me, for the number of miles on those plugs, they don't look THAT bad.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Based on what I've gathered over the years (many threads and my own plug changes) the rear most driver side plug seems to consistently be the dirtiest on these engines, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Based on what I've gathered over the years (many threads and my own plug changes) the rear most driver side plug seems to consistently be the dirtiest on these engines, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
This ^^^
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This ^^^
This This ^^^^

Products Discussed in this Thread