1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keys and FOB for 2010

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by paid4c4, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Oct 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    paid4c4

paid4c4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TDR Sport, Auto Extended Cab
    I just acquired a 2010 extended cab Taco which came with one key and no remote/fob. After using the search feature of TW and asking a few questions I realized the 2010 Taco's with 4 bangers don't have transponder keys. I also discovered that remote/fob's can be programed without any special equipment. I had Home Depot cut me two keys @1.98 each and ordered two Toyota remotes from EBAY for @19.95 each which programed without any problem. The first remote took four or five times and the second remote took about a minute. I guess I'm surprised Toyota doesn't supply the same level of security for 4 bangers as it does 4.0L's. I must say however the lack of security for the four bangers made getting keys and remotes a bunch easier and cheaper.:)
    Bill

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    There have been a number of posts regarding this.

My '10 SR5 4 cylinder (bought new) came with remote door locks (part of the SR5 package) but does not have a security chip in the key.

From what I understand some did come with the security chip.

Of course those that came with a chip swear up and down that "they all come that way" ... and say that I don't know what I (or others) know what we're talking about ... they're wrong.

Having said that ... it's neat (or not so neat) to know that the fobs can be programmed that easy.

3. Oct 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    paid4c4

paid4c4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TDR Sport, Auto Extended Cab
    Jimmy, I think programing the remotes is all neat because keep in mind you still have the correct key for the vehicle before you can program a remote for the vehicle. Any rate I'm happy with my Taco not having a transponder key and just having a regular cheap and easy to get regular key.
    Bill

Products Discussed in

To Top