Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 TRD Off/Road Review

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
2013 TRD Off/Road Review

Well, I have now been in possesion of my 2013 DCSB MGM TRD Off/Road for 4 days.

R.I.P. 2011 TRD TX
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nd-impact.html

I just wanted to throw out there what I really like about the 2013 vs. the 2011.

Gadgets:
I opted to get the Navigation + Entune and I really like having navi built right into the vehicle. No more using the iPhone in a crappy cradle and trying to work it all at once. I also like having bluetooth and all the steering wheel controls for ease of use.

Other interior features:
I like the new overhead console, actually I like the temp/compass delete from the overhead console. I think it fits better in the mirror. I also like the addition of guide lines with the reverse camera, it helps when lining up to get into the garage & backing up for trailers.
Fold down rear headrests. Although they do not fold down completely, it is nice to just get them down & out of view from the rearview mirror.

Those are small, but very nice additions. The truck is almost entirely stock with the exception of...wait for it...Plasti-dipped front grille surround, Toyota emblem and rear bumper. The front grille surround is so much easier to do because you can remove it from the grille. There are just a few screws and clips holding it on. So much easier than masking up the entire grille

Not the best photos, but I'll get there.
I have also chopped off ~4" from the front and slightly less on rear mudflaps.

Future work:
Icon front & rear suspension upgrade
Potential future work:
Front & Rear plate bumpers
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Looks exactly like mine except I have navi, but no entune.
Also I still have my chrome and full length mud flaps.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
HI2vegas is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
HI2vegas's Tacoma Gallery
i traded my 2011 for a 2013 also and noticed a weird noise after turning off the ignition. it sounds like a starter sound and also a little bit of suction from the intake. do you notice that on your 2013? or is mine a lemon?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I like the fold down rear headrests.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2vegas View Post
i traded my 2011 for a 2013 also and noticed a weird noise after turning off the ignition. it sounds like a starter sound and also a little bit of suction from the intake. do you notice that on your 2013? or is mine a lemon?

Mine does the same thing. There's a thread about it, apparently it's the smog thingy and nothing to worry about .
Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
I have fold down rear headrests on my 2009 Access cab.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The109 View Post
Mine does the same thing. There's a thread about it, apparently it's the smog thingy and nothing to worry about .
Glad to see this. I thought it was weird on mine as well. I just figured it was part of the transformer package...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: '90-96
Name: Eric
Spruced UP's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. Congrats! Sorry 'bout your other loss.

Side note: That Entune head unit looks very close to the non-Entune Display Audio that came "stock" on my TRD Sport DCLB. I wonder if it's just a software upgrade to get the Entune...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruced UP View Post
Side note: That Entune head unit looks very close to the non-Entune Display Audio that came "stock" on my TRD Sport DCLB. I wonder if it's just a software upgrade to get the Entune...
I was wondering the same thing. my JBL HU looks exactly like that. I have nav, but I dont have all the trip computer stuff thats in the manual. Maybe they put the wrong stereo in mine. The sticker and invoice said nothing about navi, and the salesman was surprised to see the map come on when he was showing me the car. Do all off road trucks w/JBL come with nav?
There are little numbers on the top of the HU next to "TOYOTA", what does yours say? mine says 57016
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2011 and traded it for a 2012 and have the same features and love them. Entune was pricey but it works great.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
There are little numbers on the top of the HU next to "TOYOTA", what does yours say? mine says 57016
Mine says 57053:

Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Mine says 57053:
Damn. I was hoping it was the same HU
Mine looks exactly like that tho. Thats okay. I wasn't expecting the nav in mine, so it was a nice surprise. Thanks for checking
:edit:
Wait... yours in non entune right? might have hope for my HU yet since my numbers are different.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn. I was hoping it was the same HU
Mine looks exactly like that tho. Thats okay. I wasn't expecting the nav in mine, so it was a nice surprise. Thanks for checking
:edit:
Wait... yours in non entune right? might have hope for my HU yet since my numbers are different.
The Entune enabled radios have an "Apps" button on them instead of the phone button. I don't think they are the same.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
The Entune enabled radios have an "Apps" button on them instead of the phone button. I don't think they are the same.
Your right, kinda. It has an "apps" button instead of a "play/pause" button. Its under the phone button. Oh well.
Found this on google images

:edit: actually, I have this same exact stereo with the "apps" button, but no entune. WTF?

And sorry for hyjacking your thread GeoTaco
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Quote:

And sorry for hyjacking your thread GeoTaco.

X2, since I started it. LOL
Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenc87 View Post
Don't forgetp about the JBL logo on the top right.
Yes, my second post states that I have JBL.
Here is a pic my actual stereo after I press the "APPS" button

Quote:
And sorry for hyjacking your thread GeoTaco
Quote:
X2, since I started it. LOL
Thats true. Geotaco, please accept Spruced up's apology
...maybe I should start a new thread.
GeoTaco, if you want me to get rid of all the pics and clean up ur thread just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 TRD Off/Road Review-jbl.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenc87 View Post
Can you see pics on the H/U? Pics from ph?
Yes sir. Even send and receive email and text through the hu. When I'm driving, it reads them to me
I started another thread with more pics and details.