1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'12 Baja for 37 OTD WITH Neg. Equity

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoLuven, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Oct 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    TacoLuven

TacoLuven [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Va.; soon to be Md.
    Vehicle:
    95 4runner; upgrading soon: '12dbl cab TXpro
    If I told you this was a real possibility, would you tell me I'm stupid NOT to take it?

A semi-local dealership still has 5 of these on the lot, priced down to 34,500. I am waiting to hear back to see if the manager will stack 5 grand in rollover equity and finance the thing out the door at 37. They have called back twice to get trade info, so they are at least crunching some kind of numbers. If they say they'll do it . . . . . . . . is the Baja worth doing it? I'd say so for that price.....

What do ya'll think?

2. Oct 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    Spruced UP

Spruced UP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport, Spruce Mica
    If you love the truck, and can live with the extra payment$ on the loan, then it's a good deal for you. Neg equity is hard to overcome, especially in today's economy.

3. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    TacoLuven

TacoLuven [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Va.; soon to be Md.
    Vehicle:

That's my thing, I am not opposed to a '13 TRD offroad, but after rolling that equity over (it's from a Jeep Patriot, don't judge, it was a very dark time in my life) I don't see it staying under 37, BEFORE taxes and such..... So, I figure while i'm not really interested in all the fluff a Baja offers, if I can get it for that price, it should in theory also hold its value better, right?????

Plus, I want the back-up camera on the big-a** display. It's just easier to see when you are about to roll over kid's toys or old people. :p

4. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    Spruced UP

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well, from my research, if it's a Tacoma, it holds its value. LOL

And, don't put too much weight into the backup camera. It's a nice feature on the cool factor, but the resolution leaves a bit to be desired. Of course, mine is only on my mirror, since I only have the basic display audio (non-Entune).

5. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    I would say if its something your gonna keep till pay off and then some then its about whats worth it to you? If you can walk out the door with the negative equity and markdown price adding up to what you had paid MSRP then I would say you did fine. I know people who pay thousands over MSRP for certain vehicles, the scion guys were paying 2-3k over MSRP on the FRZ's when they first showed up. Any vehicle is always a liability and never an asset and you always get robbed to an extent on it, just one of lifes things unless you can afford to buy it outright or resort to driving a clunker. I traded in my 08 prerunner and rolled over 3k in negative equity into my '11 AC 4WD, but still came out less than what the retail price was so for me I was ok with it and the ability to get places to ride my dirt bike that I couldnt with the prerunner was worth it, I only wish I had gone with 4wd in the first place. Again the TXPRO's and Baja's are sweet, I would go for it. But your gonna have the financial conservatives who say nay and the spenders who say yay. As long as your not making sacrifices for it and it gives you some amount of happiness then why not? You only live once, most of us work hard, and deserve some nice things from time to time (Im not materialistic by any means either for those who might hate on this post).

6. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    Spruced UP

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    ^
    Well-stated, sir.

7. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    TacoLuven

TacoLuven [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Va.; soon to be Md.
    Vehicle:
    I feel like I just got slapped with a life lesson of awesomeness. Great points, sir.

8. Oct 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    Idk man.... 37K is a TON of money!! While buying a tacoma is a smart move just for the fact you have a great resale value I would consider something a bit cheaper. Sure the Baja is nice but what is the point in having all that if you may not use it to it's fullest potential. If you intend to use it, then by all means go for it.

I really wanted a TRD Offroad when I was buying my truck but the more I thought about it, the more I knew it wasn't for me and I would seldom use the features on that truck.
    Whatever you do make sure to get GAP insurance. Also remind the dealership you are looking at a 2012 model and the 2013's are out in full force now. Use that to your advantage!!

9. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    rclangelan

rclangelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sykesville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DblCb Baja Ed. (Black)
    TRD Front Skid Plate, Tacoma All-Weather Mats, BFG AT KOs (265/70/16)
    I got my Baja for $36,580.00 OTD (including tax, tags, title...). Black Double Cab with JBL/Entune/Nav & tow pkg. Plus free car washes and loaners for life. Tell them they can do better.

Good timing too. End of month and they will really wanna move those 2012 as it gets closer to 2013. Make them work for their (your) money.

10. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    rclangelan

rclangelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Sykesville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DblCb Baja Ed. (Black)
    TRD Front Skid Plate, Tacoma All-Weather Mats, BFG AT KOs (265/70/16)
    And, BTW, I see your location is VA. Are you referring to Koons Toyota Tysons Corner? They had 6 Bajas in stock a month ago. I test drove one of their Bajas and told them to give me their best price. They came at me with $38,000 and change OTD. I walked out and bought my truck at Russel Toyota in Baltimore a few days later.

11. Oct 23, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    If you're already looking at loaded 2013 TRD models, seems like a good enough idea to me.

As was previously mentioned, if this truck is something you plan to keep for a while, you'll eventually wind up on top of it financially (you'll just have to spend more to get there than most of us, thanks to rolled over neg equity from you tradein). If it were me, the only questions I'd be asking myself are (1) can I afford this? and (2) Is this the truck I want?

Seems like if the answer to both is yes, why not pull the trigger on it?

12. Oct 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Another thing to consider is the interest rates on the 2 loans. Will the new loan have a lower interest rate than the loan on the Jeep? If it does then it might make some sense as you're paying the neg equity at a lower rate.

If you're sure the upgrades Toyota did to the Baja are ones you are going to keep then it's decent truck. If you're going to eventually tear all that stuff out then save the money and get a TRDOR.

13. Oct 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    ^ exactly. You can add all that stuff on for WAY cheaper than they are charging. I would just get a TRD OR. If youre eventually gonna put 5100's or coilovers eventually, why put that extra expense in your monthly payment? Just my $.02

14. Oct 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    probably dont want to hear this, but maybe the best financial decision would be to keep the Patriot a little while longer until you no longer upside down on it. Then trade it in, and get a Tacoma.

15. Nov 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Odds are if its a Patriot...... its value is falling faster than its getting paid off.

Products Discussed in

To Top