Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma v PreRunner

Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Shakes Spear is on a distinguished road
Shakes Spear's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma v PreRunner

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a Tacoma pretty soon and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I don't really know that much about cars, so I joined up here.

I've been looking at the Tacoma for a while and I've test drove both this and the Tacoma PreRunner and they seemed to be pretty much the same thing to me. Can someone give me a rundown of what exactly is different between the two. I would appreciate it a lot.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
The Prerunner is a 4x2 truck with the 4x4 suspension (ie. looks like a 4x4).
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Shakes Spear is on a distinguished road
Shakes Spear's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I guess that leads to my next question. How much does that change the performance drastically? I'm really just want to go with the cheaper one that fits my needs. I do alot of metalworking in my spare time so mainly I'm hauling around a lot of metal scraps and stuff like that, but just in the bed, not in a trailer or anything.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with the 4x4 especially if you live in an area that gets alot of snow. Plus its fun to have 4x4.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on offroading a lot or getting into offroading, get the 4x4... if you don't, get the prerunner. No sense in getting something you'll never use.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Atlanta Falcons
JimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud of

JimmyCrackCorn's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ x2 ^^^
Old 01-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
The prerunner is a great truck and handles great offroading, even better with the rear locker. I do a large amount of offroading and have never had any issues with not having 4x4, now if you plan on doing swamp riding, or mudding, or driving in snow, you will do better to have a 4 wheel drive. Now hauling stuff will be absolutely fine with a prerunner, you can load it up and haul away pretty much the same amount, and towing is just the same.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough

archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
i have a prerunner and do quite a bit of hauling (metal scrap too) both in the bed and with a trailer. It's worked great for me and i havent had any problems...i'm not sure but the 4x4 might have a little bit more hauling power plus you can really go off-roading with it.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ive never had any problems off road with my Prerunner. I continually impress people with what the Prerunners capabilities are.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
bgill is on a distinguished road
Marines: 5th Bn. 11th Marines
bgill's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to bgill Send a message via Yahoo to bgill
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I'd go with the 4x4 especially if you live in an area that gets alot of snow. Plus its fun to have 4x4.
Plus more expensive! I have the v6 Prerunner but based on your criteria it sounds like you should go with the regular Tacoma over the Prerunner.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got the base model prerunner and I love it. sometimes it would be nice to have 4X4 but its not that big of a deal. if you do alot of hauling stuff in the bed you might want to go with the Long Bed.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
I have a prerunner, but when i see these guys wheeling pics makes me wish i got a 4x4. One of the reasons i got the prerunner is cause with a 4x4 your mpg is usually lower cause of the extra weight (transfer case) and it is more expensive. To be honest if i could go back i would of got the 4x4 oh well its not that big of a deal.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes Spear View Post
Well, I guess that leads to my next question. How much does that change the performance drastically? I'm really just want to go with the cheaper one that fits my needs. I do alot of metalworking in my spare time so mainly I'm hauling around a lot of metal scraps and stuff like that, but just in the bed, not in a trailer or anything.

dont go with "just the cheaper one". you'll be sorry later on down the road. Shell out the extra few dollars. Besides, this is a truck thats going to last 300K miles.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^I agree, get what you WANT. People who go cheap usually end up wishing they hadn't and rarely do you see people say the opposite.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough

archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ive never had any problems off road with my Prerunner. I continually impress people with what the Prerunners capabilities are.
me too...i just meant the more extreme stuff that really does require 4x4
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on where you live, (I can't tell by the information you provide above) if you get snow with any regularity where you are and do not get the 4 wheel drive, you will regret it. No doubt.

Its like carrying a knife to a gunfight.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
bhelms100 is on a distinguished road
bhelms100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bhelms100
My first Tacoma was a 2006 Prerunner with the access cab. Great truck hauled lots of dirt and mulch. Only problem I had with it was that when it snowed here in Indiana got stuck several times in drive way wishing it was 4x4. But the last big snow we had here in Jan 09 was coming home from work and hit some ice and threw us into a concrete wall. My wife had small injuries but none for me. The poor truck took the hit. a solid truck. So here 2 weeks later bought my new 2009 Tacoma 4x4 DC with the sports package on it. Great truck 19 mpg and a very safe truck also.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #19
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Resale is a factor overlooked. A 4X4 will usually hold more of its value.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Resale is a factor overlooked. A 4X4 will usually hold more of its value.
And you pay more for it so it's a total wash.