Notices

2013 Touch screen Bluetooth Phonebook while driving

Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
mtnwrks is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mtnwrks's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Touch screen Bluetooth Phonebook while driving

Hi There,
I am very new here, my new truck is 5 days old and there is something bugging the crap out of me.

There is some sort of Safety Mode the bluetooth phone system goes into while moving. Is there a way of disabling it? I have read about nav systems having the same sort of thing and hidden menus on the head units to disable it.

What happens in my truck is the phone book is disabled while moving. I am all about safe driving however this also turns off phone book look up of the calling contact. Therefore you only see their phone number, not their name. This is stupid as while driving I only wish to talk to important calls or callers and not memorizing all of thier numbers has created a pain.

Any help?
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
batchelor22 is just really nicebatchelor22 is just really nicebatchelor22 is just really nicebatchelor22 is just really nice

Name: Jameel
batchelor22's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, I also have a new Tacoma here in BC. I have not noticed what you noted in my truck and numbers that are stored in my phone book do appear on screen with name and number when a call is incoming. Do you have the Nav. Entune system? Mine is a TRD Sport.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: '90-96
Name: Eric
Spruced UP's Tacoma Gallery
Can you just pick up your phone and use a voice dialing app?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
mtnwrks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelor22 View Post
Hi, I also have a new Tacoma here in BC. I have not noticed what you noted in my truck and numbers that are stored in my phone book do appear on screen with name and number when a call is incoming. Do you have the Nav. Entune system? Mine is a TRD Sport.
Mine is also the TRD Sport stereo.

If I have the phone screen up (the one where you can dial or view contacts on the screen of the stereo) and I and driving the dial buttons and contacts tab black out. once I stop they appear. then, when I start again they go back to black.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
batchelor22 is just really nicebatchelor22 is just really nicebatchelor22 is just really nicebatchelor22 is just really nice

Odd, mine definitely does not do that. I have dialled using the contact list on my screen while driving often. Don't like it as much as voice dialling but I have gotten used to it. Something is set on yours that should not be.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
dsrtne1 will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
dsrtne1's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 does the same thing. I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it but I would just add any contacts that you frequently call into the speed dial since that is still accessible while driving.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelor22 View Post
Odd, mine definitely does not do that. I have dialled using the contact list on my screen while driving often. Don't like it as much as voice dialling but I have gotten used to it. Something is set on yours that should not be.
My bad, I was referring to the speed dial list, not the full contact list, not that I have checked that. Will check it out today and respond again later.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
rclangelan is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
rclangelan's Tacoma Gallery
It's a safely feature that Toyota programs into their Nav systems. My 4Runner and my Baja both had the same, annoying feature. If you look in the back of your owners manual, it lists the dealer-editable features. The Nav system unlock is one of them. But then you have to find a dealer willing to tamper with a safety feature on a new car.

I have found the voice command to be more robust than some I've used. My Hyundai Elantra doesn't have the Nav lock on it, which is nice. But its voice command has a harder time picking up commands than the Toyota. Trade off.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
mtnwrks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtne1 View Post
My 2013 does the same thing. I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it but I would just add any contacts that you frequently call into the speed dial since that is still accessible while driving.
Numbers stored in the speed dial do not come up when the phone rings while moving. (Ie. only the number displays. Not the contact name.).
Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Cobra
rubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant future

Army: 2nd Armored Div.
rubenc87's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rubenc87
I was looking to get the '13 Taco because of the Nav / BT feature. I like it more because of tr music streaming. The ph rang while on a test drive Nd it only showed the ph no. Not the name o the contact. I will have to research it some more. Thanks for letting me know so that I can look for it.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
mtnwrks's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
mtnwrks's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know if there are hidden menus on any Toyota head units?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Cobra
rubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant future

I was trying to open the email , pics and such. No luck. The guy at the dealership said that it has limits with the iPhone because of apple security. You might have better luck with the android as far as opening the other menus.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Gary33031 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Ret CMSgt
Gary33031's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Tacoma

I just got my 2013 Toyota Tacoma last Tuesday. My screen contact list and dial pad also disappears when truck is moving. Only when you are stopped will the contact list and phone number touch screen appear. I can access my speed dial lists while the truck is moving. Never heard of this before and the owners manual doesn't address it. I'd be interested if someone fins a work around.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #16
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Look into a product called a lockpic from a company called coastal tech. They make nav/phone dial system unlocks as well as video/backup cameras for various makes and models of cars...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #17
Cobra

Do you happen to know if its a PNP? Also is it geared for factory or aftermarket H/U? Thanks for the info.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
Jason8224 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
Jason8224's Tacoma Gallery
i too have a 2013 Taco in NB Canada. Mine does the same thing. When driving I can only access my call history not my main phone page. Would love to find a way around this. Keep us posted!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
Jason8224 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
Jason8224's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of glad to hear its not just my Taco doing this!!! My wife drives a 2011 4 Runner and it is voice activated and it is a nice option!!!!