Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

08 dc CEL = me unhappy

Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #21
GSK9 B1T3 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Another One
GSK9 B1T3's Tacoma Gallery
So they changed it out and that was it? Same thing is going on with my 2008 DCSB 15000 miles.....
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #22
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
YEa, I don't buy that "animals ate my engine" jive. Why would you crack the engine to repair the wire loom?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #23
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
YEa, I don't buy that "animals ate my engine" jive. Why would you crack the engine to repair the wire loom?
x2!

I'd want to see the parts. If they tell you the wires have been discarded, I'd call B-S.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #24

Coast Guard:
Damn

Well I will be dropping her off Monday. When I called and talked to them and said it is a part that should be covered by warranty the toyota guy said "well it won't be if rodents ate through it." Im going to dig around tonight to make sure there are no rodents so I don't get that BS excuse.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ok.. so you got a bs over the phone thing. I've never once seen rodent damage to electrical or mechanical parts other than clogging with insulation or the like. Not saying it doesn't happen.. but at last count I'm at just over 60 cars in my life and only 4-5 new ones in there.

If you said your seats smelled like pee and you had holes in your headliner.. then I'd be more inclined to rodents.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #26
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Russ
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
I had my car in storage while I was deployed and I guess in 6 months that the car was there some rodent chewed one of my belts. I did not think to look under the car for any damage when I came to take the car out, so when I started the engine, part of the belt peeled off and sliced my oil sensor wire causing all kinds of lights to come on. I replaced the belt and repaired the wire and after resetting the computer all the lights went away. Maybe if it's just the wire, all you have to do is to fix the wire? I fixed mine with electric tape...
Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #27
Me l've got brains.

ive had the car packed with mice weasels... all sorts... clogged my fan muffler even managed to mess up the head on my bimmer once never ate my wires
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #28

Coast Guard:
Update:

So I got a call from the dealership. They asked me "have you done any work on your truck lately." I said "sure my lift." They said okay we just need to know if anything else was done to the engine so we can better serve you....... Then proceeded to give me a lecture about how it couldn't be chaffing because its in the cylinder head. Then they told me that the CEL can come on anytime. "The CEL doesn't come on right when the problem happens it can come on at anytime."

Anyway all I hear is BS. Toyota Warranty Department here I come.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #29
Farfromiowa is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Farfromiowa's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue, dealer showed me the chewed wire. The service guy said they
have never replaced a failed knock sensor, it is always rodent damage....
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #30
tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
tacos's Tacoma Gallery
I work for a Lexus dealership and we see mouse nests and chewed wires all the time in the engine bays. I think it's all the engine covers on these newer cars make nice warm pockets for them to nest. Most of the engine covers also have some type of foam on the underside that they chew up and use. It's usually easy to spot just lift the engine cover and see it theres any droppings or chewed foam in there.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #31
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromiowa View Post
I had the same issue, dealer showed me the chewed wire. The service guy said they
have never replaced a failed knock sensor, it is always rodent damage....
It was $520.00 to fix. Insurance covered it minus my 100 dollar deductible..
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #32
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Wires can be repaired.
It is terrible what auto "repair" has come to... wires chewed, replace. Why not solder+heat shrink tube it????!?!?!? Really, $5 worth of repair materials and an hour to actually do the work. There is no reason to replace any expensive parts here.
5 dollars of repair materials, but you still have to remove the intake/manifold. It is the labor that costs. It is about a 4 hour deal. With what I learned from the dealer, a friend of mine was able to fix his.....
Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #33
socal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to all
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu************ **kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

This is happening to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$750 quote plus gaskets, must be in the Toyota standard price book...I am going to learn how to pop the intake manifold myself.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #34
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4x View Post
ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu************ **kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

This is happening to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$750 quote plus gaskets, must be in the Toyota standard price book...I am going to learn how to pop the intake manifold myself.
It is easy....
Old 06-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #36
socal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to allsocal4x is a name known to all
socal4x's Tacoma Gallery
I had a ziploc container with 3/8 holes drilled in it velcro'd to both sides of the engine bay, full of moth balls -- that didn't work. I just have to nuke my property now with all kinds of stuff, and traps.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #37
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4x View Post
I had a ziploc container with 3/8 holes drilled in it velcro'd to both sides of the engine bay, full of moth balls -- that didn't work. I just have to nuke my property now with all kinds of stuff, and traps.
Well ya go me. I never tried it but that is what I have heard works. Guess not.