Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

speed odometer difference with larger tires

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
hillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tommy
hillbilly taco's Tacoma Gallery
speed odometer difference with larger tires

does anyone know how much my speedo my be off between factory 245/78/16 to a 285/75/16 I get a little worried in 15mph school zone
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Use the tire calculator.

Frank
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
I think I heard its only 1-2% off, which puts it at the "right" speed. I know my car (and I've read this here as well) it is a few mph above the actual speed.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
It can be a little off. I use my truck for work and check mileage with my gps and it is always higher than the odometer. That being said i would be careful in 15 mph zones but if you are right at 15 probably fine, just don't speed the little bit over you normally do
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Use the tire calculator, they'll help some. If you're stepping up from 245's to 285's that's a huge difference and definitely not just a 2% increase...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
My truck came with 245's now with 285's im about 9% off according to GPS
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
I think I heard its only 1-2% off, which puts it at the "right" speed. I know my car (and I've read this here as well) it is a few mph above the actual speed.
I think you heard wrong
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblackgto View Post
GPS is the most accurate way to tell.
+1

I went to 275/70/17 and I'm off by about 5.5 miles for every 100 traveled. I found that my speedo was pretty much the same to my nav before the tires. Now when I am going 67 my nav shows 70 which matches up with the tire size calculator.

For $200 you can buy this and it will correct your speedo.

http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx

Or

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performan...t_pn=HYP730117
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
^^ I was just going to recommend that

Great product!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
hillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tommy
hillbilly taco's Tacoma Gallery
speedo

Gps is a great idea my wife has a portable in her edge i may have to borrow for a couple days thanks guys
Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stacoma View Post
+1

I went to 275/70/17 and I'm off by about 5.5 miles for every 100 traveled. I found that my speedo was pretty much the same to my nav before the tires. Now when I am going 67 my nav shows 70 which matches up with the tire size calculator.

For $200 you can buy this and it will correct your speedo.

http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx
^I installed a hypertech unit a couple months ago. Easy install and calibration of the speedometer was not too difficult. First time in six years that my speedometer has been dead on.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
edm3rd will become famous soon enoughedm3rd will become famous soon enough
Name: Duke
edm3rd's Tacoma Gallery
odometer

Have an 09 with scangaugeII. Have tested with the SG, with GPS, and against mile markers on multiple 100 mile + trips. Stock tires 245/75/16.

Speedometer reads 2 mph high (62 on dash = 60 on SG and GPS). Speedometer reads higher than the road-side portable radar trailers by about the same.

Odometer is about 1% low (dash odometer 100 miles, SG, GPS, and mile markers show 101.0 to 101.4 miles).

Word on the street is manufacturers deliberately have speedometer read 1-2 mph high cause one of them (or more) got sued over speeding tickets claiming they were going faster than speedometer indicated.

Folks that install taller tires and get the speedometer more accurate may end up with less accurate odometer.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
^I installed a hypertech unit a couple months ago. Easy install and calibration of the speedometer was not too difficult. First time in six years that my speedometer has been dead on.
That is good to know I plan on getting one. Where did you purchase?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stacoma View Post
That is good to know I plan on getting one. Where did you purchase?
eBay
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
I have that size tires and at 40 my mph isn't even 1 off, maybe like half. That's using GPS and a civic beside me with a digital dash. At 70 its about 2 off. I've had none of the problems that ive read in this thread.

My 95 single cab is a different story though. With those same size tires my speedo is off 7 mph at 40! Haha its terrible

Products Discussed in this Thread