1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Explain some Toyota truckology to me?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jonmyrlebailey, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    jonmyrlebailey

jonmyrlebailey [OP] Active Member

Member:
    What is the big deal about having a Tacoma 4x4 with a "TRD" decal on the side? What does this mean to the average Joe? Is this equipment I really need? What about the decal "Sport"? What does "Prerunner" mean? How about "Xrunner"? What is all the hoopla about SR5?

If the truck has such decals as "TRD" and I buy used, how can I verify that the decals are correct and not just something that got stuck on the side aftermarket? How do I know exactly what I am really getting when shopping for a used Taco? Is it a real "TRD" or is it a fake?

2. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    They do get stuck on and there are a lot of fakes out there.
    I saw a 5-lug "TRD Prerunner" in LA a few weeks ago.

The good news is, for the most part, it doesn't matter.

Prerunner is obvious and can't be faked. It's just a 2wd version of the 4x4 truck... spring over axle. A lifted 2wd 5-lug is going to have taller springs and maybe a shackle flip. Prerunner is also a 6-lug 2wd.

TRD Sport has a hood scoop and color-matched grille.

X-Runner is a 5-lug 2wd with 18" wheels, body skirts, and an "X-Bar" rear swaybar.

3. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)

TRD stands for Toyota racing division.

TRD OR comes factory with a rear locker and upgraded susp. 6 lug wheels

TRD Sport HAZ SKEWP. and the same suspension as a TRD OR, but no rear locker 6 lug wheels

Prerunner is a rear whee drive only truck that looks like a 4x4 OR. 6 lug wheels

Only trucks that have a V6 will have the TRD badge. Each truck can be ordered with different options per package. but all trds have 6 lug wheels

Everything you get depend on what you want to do with the truck.

4. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    TRD means Toyota Racing Development :thumbsup:

5. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    :bowdown: Now I feel dumb..:eek:

6. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is the plain 4 cylinder 5 lug 2wd.

A prerunner which is a 6 lug 2wd that can the I4 or the V6. (For playing in the dunes and such)

An Xrunner which is an Acces cab 5 lug with the V6 and manual tranny only. (For racing)

The TRD sport which is the only model that can be both a double cab and have the 6ft bed. It also has some color matched body parts instead of chrome and some form of LSD in the rear and a hood scoop. (For Looks)

The TRD Offroad which has a rear locker instead of LSD and a few other offroading options like downhill descent control. (For offroading)

I believe that the SR5 is on almost all of the Tacomas now and it doesn't really mean anything. Maybe a couple extra options like a sliding rear window or something.

7. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    There are 2 TRD packages, the off-road and the sport. They both have upgraded bilstein suspension. The off-road comes with a rear diff locker and 09+ have upgraded traction aids. The sport comes with a scooped hood, color matched grill, rear bumper and mirrors. Pre '09 sports have a mechanical LSD. Pre-Runner is the same suspension as a 4x4, just without 4x4. SR5 is an upgrade package with standard power windows, locks, color matched fenders and a few other options standard.

This is an X-Runner
    [​IMG]

8. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  9. Oct 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    To the average truck buyer TRD means "look at me and how much money money I spent to look cool".

There is base model, then SR5, then TRD, in that order.

SR5 adds chrome grille and rear bumper, intermittent wipers, sliding rear window, power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise control, all the nice options. You decide if you want that stuff.

There are two different TRD packages.

TRD Off Road has locking rear diff for better off road performance, "sport" seats, different shocks and struts, and the stickers.....maybe an extra skid plate or two. TRD sport has a hood scoop, color matched grille and mirrors, and does not have the rear locker. All TRD trucks are going to have the SR5 options on them as well. The TRD package also has the 120V invertor outlet in the bed.

Prerunner is the 4WD ride height without the 4WD. XRunner is the lowered 2WD, go fast looking version. Some handling upgrades, and the only way to get a V6 in a non prerunner 2WD Tacoma.

10. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Forget about the rest of the mumbo jumbo. As long as you get a TRD Sport with the hood scoop, you will be getting so much pootang....you gonna need to set up reservations just to make time for the ladies.

11. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    the.sight.picture

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Because ladies love non funtional things.....

12. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
  13. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    and trd off-road has a locking rear differential. to average jo that means "push this button when you cant get over an obstacle" aside from the actuator on the rear diff, i usually just glance on the driverside switch panel and look for the "rr dif lock" button.

the trd sport has a limited slip rear diff which actually does make a difference in light, off-camber terrain. the mechanical diff was replaced in 09 i believe when all 4x4s got the auto lsd, which accomplishes the same limited slip benifits without wearable clutch-packs in the diff. cool feature but no substitute for locker when doing serious business.

both trd models have bilstein shocks all around and i believe the off-road has progressive coils. . . not sure what the benifit of those coils is.

sr5 is what most people need, power windows, door locks, etc. color matching on the fenders, bumpers whatever.

edit: when i wrote this there was only one response

14. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Also the TRD sport comes with crappy highway tires, and the TRD off road comes with crappy trail tires.

15. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    * Depending on the engine and body

2.7 RC is not available with cruise or fog lights even in SR5 trim.
    Not 100% positive about the AC and DC, but I believe none of the 4-bangers are available with cruise.

16. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Hmmm. Did not know that.

I guess I should add that there are no power windows available on regular cabs either. Power locks?

17. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    TRD...
    The Real Deal! :cheers:

18. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    yeah! that!

19. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I had forgotten about no power windows... ya... SingleCabGuy wanted to do the conversion on his but the panels won't fit the doors.

Power locks go with windows (control panel) so I guess that's a "no"

20. Oct 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    they are a little softer then firm up as compressed and allow more flex.
    someone correct me if i'm wrong

Products Discussed in

To Top