Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anybody here replace their clutch or throw out bearing yet?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody here replace their clutch or throw out bearing yet?

Yesterday, I was driving home from work and noticed a buzzing/ grinding sound from under the hood. I stopped at a light and felt a thump below my foot with the clutch pedal pushed in. Then I started the engine this morning and noticed that the grinding sound would appear when the clutch pedal was in and disappear when released. So after researching, I figured it was the throw out bearing. So now I'm thinking of just replacing the whole thing (to bearing, pressure plate, clutch).

Anybody had to do any of this on a 2nd gen yet? Just wondering what I'm in for and what parts I should get. I have 145,000 miles and don't believe the clutch was done yet.

edit: I meant the grinding sound would happen when the clutch pedal was in.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Never heard of one needing done. Oh, wait, if you have a V6, yours would be the first V6 T/O bearing to last that long from my experience and everything I've heard. Seach, you will find gazzilions of threads on the subject, and good solutions, such as the URD bearing and sleeve kit, or the more expensive redesigned parts as per toyotas TSB. At your milage, I would be doing the whole job once as well, including resurfacing the flywheel.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
Just had the URD sleeve kit put in mine. Your issue seems to be the opposite problem though. My clutch would squeak/chirp/grind with the clutch out and stop with the clutch in. not too sure yours is the throw out bearing. Definitely worth looking into. There isn't much involved with dropping the trans to change the clutch. If you look in the stickies there is a diy guide.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Never heard of one needing done. Oh, wait, if you have a V6, yours would be the first V6 T/O bearing to last that long from my experience and everything I've heard. Seach, you will find gazzilions of threads on the subject, and good solutions, such as the URD bearing and sleeve kit, or the more expensive redesigned parts as per toyotas TSB. At your milage, I would be doing the whole job once as well, including resurfacing the flywheel.
Thanks for mentioning resurfacing the flywheel. I wasn't sure if I had to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barker14 View Post
Just had the URD sleeve kit put in mine. Your issue seems to be the opposite problem though. My clutch would squeak/chirp/grind with the clutch out and stop with the clutch in. not too sure yours is the throw out bearing. Definitely worth looking into. There isn't much involved with dropping the trans to change the clutch. If you look in the stickies there is a diy guide.
Maybe I was a little confusing with the "clutch in and clutch out" thing. I just ran my engine again to check for sure, and the rubbing sound is when the engine is on and the clutch pedal is pushed in. It sounds like there is broken parts spinning around in there. I guess that makes the clutch out then.
I have a 2.7L 2wd with the R155 trans. I was thinking of getting this setup unless somebody wants to suggest something better.

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-16090-OE...1&s=automotive
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahh, 4 cyl, thats why the long life. Though some of them with the LUK clutches are poop too.

Forget what I mentioned about the URD sleeve kit, TSB, blah, blah, blah... Thats relavent to the V6 / 6 spd tacomas only.

From your description, I would agree there is an issue with the release bearing, or possibly one or more of the diaphragm spring fingers on the pressure plate. In any case, with the tranny out, do it right, do it once, it ends up being cheapest long term.

I haven't installed any Exedy clutches, but my understanding is that they are Aisin's aftermarket division, and Aisin is the manufacturer of your transmission, and most likely your OEM clutch.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ahh, 4 cyl, thats why the long life. Though some of them with the LUK clutches are poop too.

Forget what I mentioned about the URD sleeve kit, TSB, blah, blah, blah... Thats relavent to the V6 / 6 spd tacomas only.

From your description, I would agree there is an issue with the release bearing, or possibly one or more of the diaphragm spring fingers on the pressure plate. In any case, with the tranny out, do it right, do it once, it ends up being cheapest long term.

I haven't installed any Exedy clutches, but my understanding is that they are Aisin's aftermarket division, and Aisin is the manufacturer of your transmission, and most likely your OEM clutch.
Thanks landphil, I bought this one at rock auto for $211:

http://www.buy.com/prod/aisin-oem-pr...ngId=231674741
Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He's got the 4cyl. But there is one V6 on here with 300K on the orig TO bearing. I think he lives a charmed life, even though he has posted up his maintenance schedule and does take care of the truck, there is no periodic maintenance for a clutch.

OP: No updates on the 4 cyl clutches. If you've had good service from the OEM clutch, I would consider going with a Toyota replacement.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post

OP: No updates on the 4 cyl clutches. If you've had good service from the OEM clutch, I would consider going with a Toyota replacement.
TSB066-11 = Plenty updates. Mine was swapped due to weak pressure plate causing slippage at 20k. They still stock the affected parts at local dealers. Make sure you get whatever part you had before exactly if going Toyota.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ng-help-3.html

http://www.tacomahq.com/758/tacoma-t...h-disk-defect/
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
Thanks landphil, I bought this one at rock auto for $211:

http://www.buy.com/prod/aisin-oem-pr...ngId=231674741
Should serve you well. Another thing to consider is replacing the rear crankshaft seal on the engine while you are in there, or at least having a close look for any leakage / weepage. Inspect the release fork and pivot closely as well.

Joes06tacoma, 300K, almost unbelievable. Must have a lot of trouble ripping his TP on the horseshoe when he wipes.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Should serve you well. Another thing to consider is replacing the rear crankshaft seal on the engine while you are in there, or at least having a close look for any leakage / weepage. Inspect the release fork and pivot closely as well.

Joes06tacoma, 300K, almost unbelievable. Must have a lot of trouble ripping his TP on the horseshoe when he wipes.
Good point on the rear seal, I'm gonna see if it leaks when I do the clutch and if so, I'll hop over to napa and get one.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
Weak pressure plates and throw out bearings are a big problem on these trucks. Check out the link in my sig
Sweet thanks, I'll check out your thread when I begin work.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

Link to his thread if you want to check it out. Impressive!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...les-today.html
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
TSB066-11 = Plenty updates. Mine was swapped due to weak pressure plate causing slippage at 20k. They still stock the affected parts at local dealers. Make sure you get whatever part you had before exactly if going Toyota.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ng-help-3.html

http://www.tacomahq.com/758/tacoma-t...h-disk-defect/
Is this actually a design issue? Or just a batch of bad parts? I know the six speed clutch has actually been partially redesigned.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
... 300K, almost unbelievable. Must have a lot of trouble ripping his TP on the horseshoe when he wipes.
WTF does that mean?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Is this actually a design issue? Or just a batch of bad parts? I know the six speed clutch has actually been partially redesigned.
From my understanding there were 2 different companies that made clutches and one has no problems but the other made weak pressure plates causing the clutch to slip. It seems like u have about a 50/50 shot of getting a bad one. And if I remember correctly Toyota started using just the good company in 09 which stopped most of these problems
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post
WTF does that mean?
That he has a horseshoe up his arse for luck.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:
From my understanding there were 2 different companies that made clutches and one has no problems but the other made weak pressure plates causing the clutch to slip. It seems like u have about a 50/50 shot of getting a bad one. And if I remember correctly Toyota started using just the good company in 09 which stopped most of these problems
Aisin is the good one, LUK is the poopy one.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That he has a horseshoe up his arse for luck.
LOL at least I am lucky at something. Too bad it was not the Powerball.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My 2010 had this part and it is still available today. I'm not sure if they revised the design but kept the same part number or not. It causes more issues on the heavier chassis like access cabs and 4x4 units obviously.

Products Discussed in this Thread