Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Leaky engine

Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
I'm looking into buying a 2nd gen (looking at a '05 tomorrow) but this issue has me worried. It just sucks to have to do a 8+hr repair just because they didn't use enough FIPG. I'm just afraid that I'll go check out this truck (or any other in the future) and either it'll have this issue or if not I'll be wondering when it'll get it in the future.
1.ask if they have had the TSB done

2.if they didn't clean the engine, look for oil splatter in the area

3.if they cleaned the shit outta the engine especially in that area, be worried
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
pinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nice
pinchetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Well after cleaning the engine and driving it for two days it looks as if the seal on the cover is leaking badly and slinging it everywhere. It also looks like the cover is seeping a little. So I think I'll change the seal for sure and then possibly worry about the cover if that doesn't take care of the main leaking.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #23
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Damn it Bama,...I takes me 20 minutes to read one sentence of your posts
You are getting sleeeepy.....Very sleeeepy! You will give me your Tacoma and forget that you did it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchetaco View Post
Well after cleaning the engine and driving it for two days it looks as if the seal on the cover is leaking badly and slinging it everywhere. It also looks like the cover is seeping a little. So I think I'll change the seal for sure and then possibly worry about the cover if that doesn't take care of the main leaking.
That sucks. Make sure you follow some of the recommendations you have found here. It will be a bit of a job for sure. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
pinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nicepinchetaco is just really nice
Well I'm thinking I can get away with changing the deal on the harmonic balance. Then ill see how it looks from there cause that's the worst leak as of now.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #25
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
op, what type of warranty do you have, if any? sounds like this would be covered under power-train. its not too late if you have the 7yr/100k, unless your over 100k. in that case best of luck.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #26
No warranty that I know of. It's an 06 with 85000 on it and I believe my power train warranty ended at 60k
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #27
joesmith is on a distinguished road
joesmith's Tacoma Gallery
I have this same problem on my truck, its gotten worse over time just because oil is everywhere. I think it will be my big summer project next year since I don't have a garage readily available.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Check the TSB link posted above. It has an image that shows where these are leaking from, IF it is related to the TSB.
Not quite sure what I'm looking at in the PDF. But I'm guessing it's near the passenger side by the oil dip stick?

I looked around that area on my truck from the top. Between the stick and pulleys. Mine looks nice and clean.

07 with 57K miles.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #29
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Adam
undecided's Tacoma Gallery
Thread revival.How did the replacement go op? I just discovered the same leak. I am looking to do this myself as well. Any idea where to find a service manual?