1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Softopper/Bestop question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HRDTACO, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Oct 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    HRDTACO

HRDTACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '12 Prerunner DCLB
    to come!
    Hey all, I currently have an access literider cover on my truck which I like, but it gives me fits when loading my dirt bikes up in the back of my truck. So my question is, how do these other tippers mount in the bed? Are they easily removable? I need the use of a top to keep my gear dry when I board in the winter, but need the bed for my bikes when I go out. The roll up cover because of the mounting in the front makes my bikes wobble everywhere and it's getting annoying to say the least

2. Oct 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    Bestop here... After the first few times getting used to setup/take down, I can have the top on or off the truck completely in about 15 minutes. Folded/unfolded takes about 5. I have heard that it gets difficult to open it up from folded if it's really cold, so if you take it to the snow you'll want it opened the whole time. I think you'd be fine having the top folded down with bikes in the back, the guy I bought my bestop from used it for that exact purpose. The only thing that I'm not a huge fan of is that the side and rear windows have to be removed completely for you to fold it up, but it is nice to be able to run in without windows as just a canopy.

The mounting system ties into the bed rails with bolts, the canopy
    Then attaches to that with 4 cotter pins.

3. Oct 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    soldierguy

soldierguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access Cab 4X4 V6 6MT
    Quoted for truth. I used to have a Ram 2500 and I had a bestop on it. Loved it. But when it was cold, the fabric would shrink by quite a bit, making it really difficult to put up or zip the windows closed. But aside from the cold weather shrinkage, I loved it. When I needed it, it was there. And when I didn't, it rolled/folded up nicely at the front of the bed. And to me, they look fantastic!

4. Oct 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    HRDTACO

HRDTACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '12 Prerunner DCLB
    to come!
    Yeah they look great... So it would be possible to load my bike in it and put it back up when I get to wherever I'm going riding. 15 minutes is pretty good. I do want the Bestop since they have the window option... Now where to find one is the next question

5. Oct 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    i have a best top here...

love this thing. best CL find ever. everything they said is true^^^^^^^

I took the risk of leaving it on during the recent hurricane, whilst driving. it didnt move an inch.

it is not however ideal for cold weather. there is zero chance you would be able to put it up in less that 50F or lower. i broke a zipper that way. was not fun.

other than that, zero complaints!

Products Discussed in

To Top