Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Big 3. Anyone?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
KAGING is just really niceKAGING is just really niceKAGING is just really niceKAGING is just really nice

Name: just call me "KAGS"
KAGING's Tacoma Gallery
Big 3. Anyone?

Have anyone of u guys here done "Big 3 upgrade"? Any write up with pictures?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
WTF is a "Big 3 upgrade" ?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Huh? Never heard of such a thing, I thought this was a thread about the Big Three automakers.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
I have done the big three and it helps a ton. no write up or pictures sorry
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Big 3: Increasing the wiring size of the integral wires on the vehicle for the 3 main electrical points.

1) Battery to the alternator power wire
2) Engine to chassis ground
3) Negative battery to ground point
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Never heard of this, found a pretty good article which details the mod
http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...3-upgrade.html

"Performing what is known as the “Big 3” upgrade to your vehicle will improve the performance of your electrical system and increase its current handling capabilities. This should be the first upgrade done to your electrical system which will then allow you add more powerful audio system components. The “Big 3” upgrade is a swap or addition to these three cables:

1) Alternator positive cable that runs to the positive terminal of the battery
2) Negative battery cable that runs from the battery to the vehicles chassis
3) Chassis grounding cable that runs to the engine block"
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
LEGITacoma is on a distinguished road
LEGITacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I want to do it. What size wire did you use? Or plan on using??
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Woah woah woah....let's tap the brakes here.

Guy who said he did it and it made a huge difference....what difference did you observe and can you measure this?

For everyone else, it's only useful if you're running an insane amount of current from large amplifiers or something else like a winch (which should have it's own dedicated ground anyway).

The only reason you'd see any measurable/noticeable benefit is if the stock grounds are insufficient. I'd imagine in this instant you're running over 1000watts and using all of it on a regular basis. You were probably smart (ok no you weren't) and bought a larger alternator and a second battery too. So doing the "big 3" would likely be something you'd HAVE to do in that instance because the wires will need to go to new objects and or places.

So long way to say that you likely don't need it and or wont see much (if any) benefit from doing it. But if you have some extra thick gauge wire and a couple free hours GO FOR IT.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Woah woah woah....let's tap the brakes here.

Guy who said he did it and it made a huge difference....what difference did you observe and can you measure this?

For everyone else, it's only useful if you're running an insane amount of current from large amplifiers or something else like a winch (which should have it's own dedicated ground anyway).

The only reason you'd see any measurable/noticeable benefit is if the stock grounds are insufficient. I'd imagine in this instant you're running over 1000watts and using all of it on a regular basis. You were probably smart (ok no you weren't) and bought a larger alternator and a second battery too. So doing the "big 3" would likely be something you'd HAVE to do in that instance because the wires will need to go to new objects and or places.

So long way to say that you likely don't need it and or wont see much (if any) benefit from doing it. But if you have some extra thick gauge wire and a couple free hours GO FOR IT.
alright i will tell you how it helped. I am running 0 gauge as big three and a 2000 watts amp and .25 ohm Resistance and calculated to run close to 3000 watts out of it. So this is where i saw the huge difference in battery recharge rates and power handling of my vehicle
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
You sir are in a situation that NEEDS it. In the event that you're actually USING all 3000 watts you're pulling 250A which is fucking unreal. That would certainly overwhelm the stock wiring. Sounds like it's an SPL vehicle?

But as a said before; people in that type of power range are in the minority. Even you likely don't use close to that much power on a daily basis. If you do you either have a horribly efficient sub and partial hearing or you have a normal sub and can't hear shit. I'm guessing you upgraded the charging system too?

PS What amp subs combo are you running? I assume you're running multiple subs since it would be hard to get to a quarter ohm on just one sub (or at least not anything common).
Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've always ran the Big 3, but I always run around 2000-3000 Watts of power. In my DC, I can't fit that much stereo behind the seats. So no need for it.

However, I will be installing a second battery, so I will be doing the Big 3. Plus, I got about 40ft of 0g wire that needs to be used up
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
In 95% placebo unless you are running some god awful stereo amp setup. For the average Joe it has No effect whatsoever.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
You sir are in a situation that NEEDS it. In the event that you're actually USING all 3000 watts you're pulling 250A which is fucking unreal. That would certainly overwhelm the stock wiring. Sounds like it's an SPL vehicle?

But as a said before; people in that type of power range are in the minority. Even you likely don't use close to that much power on a daily basis. If you do you either have a horribly efficient sub and partial hearing or you have a normal sub and can't hear shit. I'm guessing you upgraded the charging system too?

PS What amp subs combo are you running? I assume you're running multiple subs since it would be hard to get to a quarter ohm on just one sub (or at least not anything common).
it aint SPL vehicle. I am running a dc audio xl (http://dcsoundlab.com/xl.html) and dc 2k amp. i havent upgraded charging system that is next on the list