Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY oil change voids warranty?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
DIY oil change voids warranty?

Talking to my bil about doing the oil on my '12 myself, and he said it voids the warranty. At first I thought bs, but then I remembered there was a time when dealers insisted the only warranty approved place to get an oil change was through them. I haven't been able to confirm or deny. Anyone?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i don't think they can void your warranty unless they can prove that you changing the oil and screwing it up, caused the failure.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
raskal is on a distinguished road
raskal's Tacoma Gallery
you just need to keep good records, receipts, document what was done/when/# miles

same stuff they would record if you brought your truck to them.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Crock of BS!!!! Do what Raskal said.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard of such thing! I've done my own oil changes since day one on my truck and my truck has been to the dealer a few times and they never said a word.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
i would rather you beat me with a garden hose than to take my truck to a dealer...
Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
I work at a dealership in Maryland. Some dealers offer the "engine for a lifetime" program. If the dealer that you bought the truck at has that program and they offer the "oil change for life" too. When you change your oil or go to another oil place other then that dealer then you could possibly lose the "lifetime" program.

Regardless the only warranty it will void is that "lifetime" program... NOT the Toyota warranty.

However if you do not have the program with your dealer then whoever told you that it will void the warranty, they are the same person that pays the dealer to install wiper blades for $50. I would not worry about the warranty if you do not have the "lifetime" program.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I can't remember the post, but this was discussed a while back. There is actually a law against them forcing you to have them change the oil, or service your vehicle. As long as you maintain proper records, including date and oil/filter information that matches your truck, they cannot deny you if a warranty repair is needed. While I support taking a vehicle to the dealer for warranty repairs, and some repairs beyond, I don't like when dealers try to convince customers that they HAVE to bring it there for service. Personally if I was ever told that I would go right to that dealership's president and report it.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
I keep track of all the maintenance I do myself HERE. It also displays any work done by an authorized Toyota dealer. All of the TSBs I have had done are there along with the maintenance I've done. I think you can also add stuff done by a local mechanic, Discount Tire, state inspections, etc.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Lonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud ofLonewolf has much to be proud of

Lonewolf's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer is full of $hit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Old 11-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Not too difficult to completely cover your butt...

Make a folder separate from all your other truck paperwork titled "SERVICE". Any time you change anything, take the receipts (parts, fluid, and filter if any are applicable), print a picture of the odometer on the day it is done, write what you did under the pic & sign it, staple it all together, and throw into the file.

Then log on to toyota owners site and put it into their database.

That way, if they need records of maintenance they can look it up at the dealer, and if they want proof to back it up you have it organized by date and ready to grab.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~ View Post
I keep track of all the maintenance I do myself HERE. It also displays any work done by an authorized Toyota dealer. All of the TSBs I have had done are there along with the maintenance I've done. I think you can also add stuff done by a local mechanic, Discount Tire, state inspections, etc.
+1
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Here's another great way to keep track of your vehical history...
http://www.lieblweb.com/images/tacom...tory_Guide.pdf

I made a folder up with these ^ pages and included copies of some of the great information on this site... gear oil change, spark plug change, throttle body cleaning, etc.
Write down the date, milage, and keep all receipts.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
mirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
mirraman's Tacoma Gallery
I would go to the dealer and speak to the service manager. Complain about the service writer telling you that changing your own oil will void your warranty. Act completely disgruntled. Cause a real stink. if there are other people around speak loudly. Site laws against such actions by the dealer. Maybe you'll get a free dealer oil change! That happened with my wife's civic. We went in for an oil change (effing oil filter is a bitch to reach so I just have her take it in) and the service writer told her that she needed new radiator lines. This is a couple months after I changed them! I went in during busy hours caused a real stink with the service manager and she got a free oil change the next time she needed one.

No guarantees, but at least you can give em heel for trying to pull that kind of undermining shit!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirraman View Post
I would go to the dealer and speak to the service manager. Complain about the service writer telling you that changing your own oil will void your warranty. Act completely disgruntled. Cause a real stink. if there are other people around speak loudly. Site laws against such actions by the dealer. Maybe you'll get a free dealer oil change! That happened with my wife's civic. We went in for an oil change (effing oil filter is a bitch to reach so I just have her take it in) and the service writer told her that she needed new radiator lines. This is a couple months after I changed them! I went in during busy hours caused a real stink with the service manager and she got a free oil change the next time she needed one.

No guarantees, but at least you can give em heel for trying to pull that kind of undermining shit!
^ You say that like it's a good thing...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Take your warranty and maintenance guide with you (it's came with the truck) it explains this in great detail it's a good read have a look at page 18.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
I questioned it, then I remembered the law. But I wasn't sure if it covered the shade tree mechanic, or just licensed shops. It's my brother-in-law who works at the factory, so he had no vested interest to lie to me. I also looked in my book, but I didn't find anything. I'll take another look.

Like I said, I balked at first, then questioned it. I could see them pulling a "how do we know what you're doing?" if it came to a blown motor. Figured I'd run it by everyone.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #18
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirraman View Post

Also a good way of creating a bad reputation with those who work at the dealership, and if problems arise later that one might need a little dealership intervention to help out on, one can pretty much figure a "no" answer at that point. Why be an ass? Just go in and talk to the manager or dealership prez and mention that you are bothered by the actions of one of their employees. One will get much better results that way.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn View Post
I also looked in my book, but I didn't find anything. I'll take another look.
Was looking at the maintenance/ warranty guide yesterday and noticed it said
"Maintenance and repair services can be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose..."
Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
I changed my own oil a couple of times, and i still have the 7 yr power-train warranty. I took the truck into the dealership two days ago to get a new hub bearing put in under warranty. They never even asked me questions about previous maintenance on it. They even asked me if I needed an oil change that day and i said "nah, I'm good, i'll just do it myself." and they were fine with it, granted i do use Toyota oil filters, so maybe they thought I knew what i was doing.
I think you would be safe doing the changes yourself, unless you have the Lifetime warranty, which my toyota dealership offers. In that case you cant really touch the truck because of more strict maintenance rules and you have to do every sheduled maintenance job though them.