Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Nitrogen Tire Thread?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
Creemore will become famous soon enoughCreemore will become famous soon enough
Creemore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
So help me understand. I top off my tires with air out of my 33 gallon Sears compressor. I thought compressing air pulled moisture out. Isn't that why I have to open my drain plug and empty the water out of the tank every so often? Wouldn't the air in the compressor have less moisture than uncompressed air? What is the harm of moisture in a tire anyway as long as it doesn't condense and pool?
If you were filling the tires on a 747, you'd want as little moisture in there over time as you could manage, to reduce its corrosive effects. For an automotive tire and wheel, I don't think moisture in these amounts is a problem at all.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Seems chris4x4 did some testing on this awhile back and came to the conclusion that it was a total crock.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creemore View Post
This was not my experience. Your tires will lose about a pound of pressure per ten degrees of lost ambient temperature because air is not inert. I used to drive a Discovery, on which maintaining rear tire pressure was really important (long story). After I switched to nitrogen, the pressures stayed right where I put them from fall through winter and into spring, a total range of more than 40 degrees C.

I haven't bothered with it on any other vehicles since then, but the difference was absolutely notable for me. Nitrogen's inert nature is a big reason it's used in aircraft tires and yes, there is a significant difference in N2 content between 'pure' nitrogen and atmospheric air.
Nitrogen is not inert. Whether it is or not has nothing to with it's expansion/contraction with temperature. There are a totally different set of laws governing that. If your pressure did not change over a temp swing of 40C, then you have defied the laws of physics.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #24
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you were filling the tires on a 747, you'd want as little moisture in there over time as you could manage, to reduce its corrosive effects. For an automotive tire and wheel, I don't think moisture in these amounts is a problem at all.
You don't want air in an airplane tire because they rapidly heat when the tires hit the runway. Water expands a LOT more than nitrogen over a similar temperature swing and could cause issues with the tires such as them freezing while in flight (meaning still frozen at touch down) and rapid expansion causing the tire to burst.

With nitrogen, you don't pay to get nitrogen, you pay to not get moisture. The moisture expanding and contracting with the temperature swings is what causes the most noticable pressure swings. If you're buying nitrogen for your tires, what you're really paying for is dry nitrogen.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #25
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Not very scientific, but still here is the thread link I was refering to.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...st-inside.html
Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Air craft tires have nitrogen in them only because it does not promote combustion. They don't give a damn if there is moisture in them.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Air craft tires have nitrogen in them only because it does not promote combustion. They don't give a damn if there is moisture in them.
Untrue, they use Nitrogen in aircraft tires so that there is absolutely no moisture, no oil, and no other gases, because N2 is a dry, inert gas. If there is frozen moisture inside the aircrafts tire when it tries to land, that tire is going to explode.

But, on a lighter note.

Use Hydrogen in your tires, you'll get better gas mileage, cuz you'll float.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #28
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nitrogen's inert nature is a big reason it's used in aircraft tires and yes, there is a significant difference in N2 content between 'pure' nitrogen and atmospheric air.
Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires because it will help to quench, rather than feed, a fire in a wheelwell caused by a hydraulic line being broken by a tire explosion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Untrue, they use Nitrogen in aircraft tires so that there is absolutely no moisture, no oil, and no other gases, because N2 is a dry, inert gas. If there is frozen moisture inside the aircrafts tire when it tries to land, that tire is going to explode.
It is not hard to "dry" compressed air.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Nitrogen is used in aircraft tires because it will help to quench, rather than feed, a fire in a wheelwell caused by a hydraulic line being broken by a tire explosion.

It is not hard to "dry" compressed air.
I lived on the USS Nimitz for 4 years and learned there are so many uses for N2 on an aircraft, main reason is that there is no moisture or oil in it, secondary reason is that the molecule is more consistent than any other combination of molecules including dry air. N2 was used in all Navy aircraft for tire inflation due to the extreme temp change when at high altitude then suddenly landing, also used for the tail hook actuator when hydraulics fail, used in side winder missile actuators and other ordinance operations, the list goes on, but you get the point. I wouldn't pay someone to put N2 in my automobile tires, but if I had an aircraft, you better believe I'd pay. Especially if it's the difference in my tire exploding upon landing.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
One Tire Fire!
GREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGREEKBOY12295 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
GREEKBOY12295's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Costco puts it standard in their tires IIRC. They also use a green valve cap that I thought indicated that the tires were nitrogen filled. Not sure though. I thought the only benefit to higher nitrogen in the tires was less fluctuation in pressure in hot vs cold weather
Thats exactly what they did to my tires.