Notices

Nitrogen Tire Thread?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrogen Tire Thread?

whats up everyone?!!

just wanted to see if anyone else had nitrogen in their tires.
for temperature change because it does not expand or contract in cold temperature?..
ive got it in my duratracs
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth it. If it's offerend free, I won't turn it down and cause a hassle, but if they want to "upsell" you to it, tell them to pound sand.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I run a 80% nitrogen mix in my tires...the big issue is using DRY air and most of the vending machine air pumps don't have decent dryiers or drains. My home system has water trap by the compressor and four additional drain points.

Howard
Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I run C02 in my tires just because I have a tank on board. I was thinking of switching to a Nitrogen tank on board just so I can add to my shocks if need be.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Costco puts it standard in their tires IIRC. They also use a green valve cap that I thought indicated that the tires were nitrogen filled. Not sure though. I thought the only benefit to higher nitrogen in the tires was less fluctuation in pressure in hot vs cold weather
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The air you breath is mostly nitrogen. When you put nitrogen in the tire what happens to the air that's all ready in the tire along with the water where does it go?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
not worth it.. hell air is 79% nitrogen. If i was running a race car maybe.
^this. As mentioned earlier, if offered for free I'd let them do it but I won't pay for it. Waste of money for the twice a year when we actually get enough temperature fluctuation to make a difference.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
not worth it.. hell air is 79% nitrogen. If i was running a race car maybe.
X3....I've never considerd tire pressure that big of a challenge. The only advantage is that it's dry. I have onboard air with a 12' copper cooling coil and drain. That takes care of it.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
The air you breath is mostly nitrogen. When you put nitrogen in the tire what happens to the air that's all ready in the tire along with the water where does it go?
True, to do it properly they would have to pull a vacuum on your tire (which is NOT recommended) and then fill with nitrogen. My Avalon XLS has it from Costco and the Little Lady hated the green caps, made me buy some chrome ones, I knew there was a reason I married her.

She picked up a nail in one tire and had to have it fixed at a station that does not offer nitrogen. So when she got home I dumped the air and took a nitrogen cylinder off my HVAC truck and re-filled it. Being such a dry gas it will absorb quite a bit of moisture per cft of nitrogen. The fact that the pressure remains fairly constant is also nice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I run C02 in my tires just because I have a tank on board. I was thinking of switching to a Nitrogen tank on board just so I can add to my shocks if need be.
I've met a member that's does that found a good size tank and filled it with nitrogen and works well
Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i am running nitrogen. costco put it in..and they have a hose that i can refill for free.

i still get the occasional "low air" warning when i go up to cold weather. meh!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
I did, but I air down my tires too much to be adding this stuff everytime. I just cruise right on over to the car warsh where they have air and fill up. I really do need to get an on board compressor though
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
With my last set of tires, the previous owner bought them at big o tires and when i got them rotated & balanced they "did me a favor" as the guy said and filled my tires with nitrogen, and put on new green stems and caps because he said it would become the law in the next few years in Ca!!! And the fucker even charged me for them, without telling me beforehand what he was doing to my truck!!! I just paid it because I was in a rush, I never liked big o.

My tires were getting close to needing to be changed anyways so after about 5000 miles, went to good 'ol America's tire and told him this story and when I talked to him about the tires i wanted he told me that they have a set of tires that has higher ratings, was cheaper than the ones I wanted, and had a longer warranty. I love that place!

That's my story about nitrogen in the tires
Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Tacoma level 27
Slesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud ofSlesse has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Slesse's Tacoma Gallery
I air down almost every time i take my truck out. So to fill them with more than 79% N2 does not seem worth it. I live in a colder climate and the twice a year i adjust my tire pressure for the weather isn't a real big deal. If you are overly concerned about MPG then i guess it might help you. But in that case you can just check you pressure more frequently.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrogen DOES NOT maintain a constant pressure over temperature changes. It is subject to the same gas laws as any other gas or mixture. It does not negate the need to check or adjust pressure.

The difference often cited is the result of the presence or absence of moisture. N2 is a dry gas as a result of the way it is produced. Most air compressors deliver extremely moisture laden air unless the system is equiped with a cooling coil and water separater. The advantages of N2 over completely dry air are purely academic. You could never measure them with a tire gauge.

The bottom line is, fill with reasonably dry air and you will be fine. You'll get 95% of the benefit of N2 with none of the hassle. That's why I have a copper condensation coil on my OBA. It works like a still. It will lower your pressure variance, especially at higher temps where the water vaporizes. It will cut down corrosion on your wheels too.

While there are a few grains of truth in the Nitrogen thing, it is mostly a marketing gimmick and a potential up sell.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
So help me understand. I top off my tires with air out of my 33 gallon Sears compressor. I thought compressing air pulled moisture out. Isn't that why I have to open my drain plug and empty the water out of the tank every so often? Wouldn't the air in the compressor have less moisture than uncompressed air? What is the harm of moisture in a tire anyway as long as it doesn't condense and pool?

BTW, I notice no difference from Nitrogen vs. regular air in my tires.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
This thread makes me giggle...
Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #19
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
So help me understand. I top off my tires with air out of my 33 gallon Sears compressor. I thought compressing air pulled moisture out. Isn't that why I have to open my drain plug and empty the water out of the tank every so often? Wouldn't the air in the compressor have less moisture than uncompressed air? What is the harm of moisture in a tire anyway as long as it doesn't condense and pool?

BTW, I notice no difference from Nitrogen vs. regular air in my tires.
Yes and no.

Moisture coming into the compressor with the outside air is held in a vapor form because it is heated by the compressing process. Once in the tank, it begins to cool and condense out. Letting the tank completely cool before filling your tires will help since this process is completed. If the compressor is running however, then the moisture laden air goes directly into the tire and condenses there. Having water sitting in the tank also assures that the air inside is saturated at that pressure and temperature. Not the best situation. My cooling coil is between the compressor and the tank. Water is removed before it gets stored.

Water in the tire will vaporize at higher temperatures. It will cause a rise in pressure above the normal rise expected by the gas laws. That is the same principle used to power steam engines. When it cools it will go back to liquid and contribute to corrosion.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
Creemore will become famous soon enoughCreemore will become famous soon enough
Creemore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Nitrogen DOES NOT maintain a constant pressure over temperature changes.
This was not my experience. Your tires will lose about a pound of pressure per ten degrees of lost ambient temperature because air is not inert. I used to drive a Discovery, on which maintaining rear tire pressure was really important (long story). After I switched to nitrogen, the pressures stayed right where I put them from fall through winter and into spring, a total range of more than 40 degrees C.

I haven't bothered with it on any other vehicles since then, but the difference was absolutely notable for me. Nitrogen's inert nature is a big reason it's used in aircraft tires and yes, there is a significant difference in N2 content between 'pure' nitrogen and atmospheric air.