1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma in full winter mode

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hetkind, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Nov 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    the advantage is in the durability. here is your instance...... say your pulling someone over the crest of a hill (without a running start). with a steep enough hill, the strap or chain will be in contact with the ground. sleeving a strap only goes so far, and even then, you risk tearing up your strap. you will either have to replace it (expensive), or it may fail mid pull because it was cut in two (dangerous). a properly rated chain will have the tensile strength to make the nearly static pull, as well as the abrasion resistance to overcome the rock, or other sharp edge that would otherwise eat a strap. always carry both.

2. Nov 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Pssh... you've probably only done that once, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about :rolleyes:

:stirthepot:

3. Nov 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    :( :pout:

4. Nov 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    images_19bbf9de19745bf655caba62a92dc6a103a9a348.jpg

5. Nov 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    lol, that's a good one. gonna have to use that picture now

6. Nov 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    haha that's just silly, how often are you in a situation like that? because I've always been able to find a smarter solution than dragging something over the crest of a hill...

Personally I carry a snatch strap, a tree saver, and a few shackles, and have always been able to figure out a simple way of getting a smooth pull to get someone out... if you lay even a jacket or something over the snatch strap, you eliminate most of the risk of having a broken strap flying into something or someone. There is always a chance of something going wrong, Personally I feel more comfortable with a snatch strap, and inspect mine periodically to ensure it's not frayed.

7. Nov 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i've run into a situation like that a few times. few off road, and once doing a vehicle recovery of a family friend's car that slid into a ditch after hiting some black ice. With an experienced driver in both vehicle's, i feel completely safe pulling with a chain. sure, the situation is not common, but I'd much rather put some careful thought and driving skill into a controlled, safe chain pull, than hose $50 strap, or $250 winch line.

8. Nov 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    hmm, never have I been in a situation like that... to each their own.

9. Nov 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    yeah i usually go all the way across and come out in the cove...i love in jonesborough on hwy 107 down by the river

10. Nov 2, 2012 at 2:17 AM
    kloc

kloc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kory
    FarNorCal
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma ext.cab 4x4 2.7
    3" Toytec Lift w/ 2.5" Pro Comp aal's, K&N 57 Series FIPK cai, MagnaFlow Cat-back Dual Exhaust, Delta Low Profile Polished Aluminum Diamond Plate Toolbox, Alpine CD Deck w/Ipod Interface
    The tire is also nice for pushing trucks in some cases too. it eliminates (or at least lessens) the damage from truck to truck contact, but it takes some precision and coordination to do a push. and it isnt really a big nuisance to just throw a small car tire in the back of your truck for a wheelin trip. When you wheel do you carry nothing but a recovery or snatch strap stashed in the cab? When I go i take a shovel or two, hi lifter, couple of chains, maybe a strap if someone has one handy, the tire, my hand tools, and a chainsaw if we're snow wheelin. Personally I think its better to be prepared and take a few things just in case...

11. Nov 2, 2012 at 2:45 AM
    hetkind

hetkind [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    This has been treadjacked to the max...it was about setting up for winter storms, not about redneck vehicles recovery with pantyhose and duct tape. I have been towing cars out of ditches longer than some of you have been alive, and getting heavy equipment unstuck.

Recreational vehicle recovery, while playing off road, is basically a game. So gunning it with snatch straps, which are expendable, is fine. Moving equipment with exact control (my game) requires things with a lot less stretch and a lot more skill.

You folks from Florida, let me know how often you pull folks out of icy ditches...

I recall one day, I was trying to hoist a couple safes out of truck, and all I had handy was recovery straps...there was so much stretch, my chain hoist range was virtually used up by the stretch, and the straps were never the same again. Once I recovered my chains (somehow found their way into back of a soon to be ex GF pickup), the job got done easily.

Howard

12. Nov 2, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    I say your all wrong, buy a good winch and use that for recovery. The abuse your putting your truck through will pay for the winch.

13. Nov 2, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    [​IMG]

14. Nov 2, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    JWinTN

JWinTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    E TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I'm likely going to head up and over Unaka this weekend.

15. Nov 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Howard, please don't pass judgement so quickly. those little information bars on the left side are often incomplete. i am not from florida, and have only been here a relatively short time. Most of my life involved snowy winters. i still spend about a month of each winter up north as well. So contrary to your statement, I have done the whole icy ditch thing plenty of times.

I would also not call offroad vehicle recovery a game. people are killed every year due to poor recovery methods. There was even a video a few months ago, flying around the internet, of two med being killed when a crossmember broke off of a vehicle being pulled up a hill.

You seem to know the difference between uses for a strap and chains. +1 for being ahead of the curve.

to get back on topic, where exactly did you want this thread to go?

if you're looking for tips and tricks, i'd first look at the ABS system on our trucks. in the snow, our trucks' ABS kicks in very quickly, making threshold braking pretty much non-existant. It does a fantastic job of keeping the vehicle straight and allowing some steering input, but it will not stop the vehicle quickly at all. there are modifications to ad a switch that disables the ABS. If you feel confident in your ability to threshold brake, i highly recommend looking up the how-to on here. it's also a nice modification for offroading too.

16. Nov 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I've never "gunned it" with a snatch strap.

Looks to me like a "can't teach an old dog new tricks" situation. Or rather, he refuses to learn new tricks.

That's fine, you can do it your way, I'll do it the safe way, and not damage my vehicle. :)

For all the "experience" you have I'm surprise that you would use the wrong methods for a seemingly simple job.

17. Nov 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    It would have been simple of the chains and slings had been were they were left a few days earlier...

18. Nov 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    The last two vehicles I pulled out I used both chains and a tow strap. Tire chains that is:D, they were a bit beyond stuck, and 14" of snow fell after the first one went off the unmaintained road.

With an auto, its pretty easy to pull quite safely with a chain. With a manual, it takes a lot more skill, but can still be done. There is more potential for shock damage if you screw up using a chain. Either way, being smarter than the equipment you are using is a good idea, as there are risks with both.

And yeah, I love my ABS disable switch, when snow and gravel are involved.

19. Nov 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    rlvilleman

rlvilleman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg cab 4wd (white)
    I work on an offshore oil rig where we are constantly rigging HEAVY stuff. Chains are illegal out here. All nylon straps for the entire industry. Nylon only fails if mishandled or improperly rigged.

20. Nov 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    And I suspect plenty of wire rope too...Nylon straps are recommended for when you are trying not to mar surfaces, like drill pipe.

I used to oversee many a drilling crew...

Howard

Products Discussed in

To Top