Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Another bad MPG thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
Another bad MPG thread

My 13 Taco now has 1400 miles and the gas mileage is getting worse. I didnt buy the truck for the mileage but its now at 14 mpg city and I even went easy on the throttle. The best i can get on hwy is 17 mpg. I have an Airaid intake and Borla muffler. Ive checked tire pressures too. Any ideas? ...the only thing is that with the airaid kit it was for the 12 Tacomas. The 13's have a 4 wire AIR pump and the older Tacomas have a 2 wire AIR pump so i had to cut and splice wires. The AIR pump DOES still work ( I can hear it) is it possible that the wires are switched? And would it cause the mileage to go down? Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
It will get better as the truck breaks in, but you are also running big heavy tires compared to stock, are you taking into account the tire size when calculating mpg?

and depending on where you live, the gas stations may be on winter gas now, which is shiiittyy!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

i was getting 17mpg before with the bigger tires..maybe it is the winter blend gas...also ive had to use the defrost a lot lately...i forgot about that part
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
lift, larger tires, taking rpm above 2k = worse mpg
Like Rab89 said, the winterblend isn't helping either but you'll get better mpg with the switch back to non-winter fuel in April/May. Scroll down to the bottom and view "Similar Threads" for more information as this gets discussed ad nauseam.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Also, you didn't mention how you're calculating mpg (odometer/trip, scangauge, ultraguage, etc). If you're using the odometer and want to accurately get mpg you have to account for the increase in tire diameter as it means 6.2% reduction in revs per mile... so your 17.1mpg is truly 18.2mpg
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Another "I lifted and installed oversized wheels and now I can't understand why my mpg is ass" thread?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
Another "I lifted and installed oversized wheels and and added an aftermarket intake now I can't understand why my mpg is ass" thread?

Fixed*
Old 11-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
Another "I lifted and installed oversized wheels and now I can't understand why my mpg is ass" thread?
Oh thanks for pointing that out. Thats truly a help...thanks dick!...my truck has been lifted since 150 miles. I know that extra weight is gonna cause that. Not my first lifted truck. My point is that recently its gone down.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremanpat View Post
Oh thanks for pointing that out. Thats truly a help...thanks dick!...my truck has been lifted since 150 miles. I know that extra weight is gonna cause that. Not my first lifted truck. My point is that recently its gone down.
more like larger rolling mass, try putting on the stock intake as well.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
overactor is on a distinguished road
Army: Alpha Co 1st-504th PIR Airborne Intantry
Name: robbie
overactor's Tacoma Gallery
The intake will change the intake and therefore the fuel calibration. Dont know how long you have had that on there. I tune subaru's and putting an intake on the car without adjusting the tune for it makes for some really shitty fuel mileage. I think 17 something isnt bad considering the factory sets mpg on Ethanol free fuel and most of us drive with E10
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #11

I went from 17 to 14. I havent had it tuned for the intake...but its in the works
Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Did the air get colder? The magic cutoff seems to be about 45°F when the mileage really goes down the toilet on my truck.

Though I have skinny stock tires so "down the toilet" means anything under 21.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
mirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to beholdmirraman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
mirraman's Tacoma Gallery
Set odometer to zero when you fill up next (don't top off).
Drive normally until you need gas.
Write down how many miles on trip odometer at next fill up then write down how many gallons of gas it took and don't top off.
Divide miles on trip odometer by 0.927.
Divide answer by gallons of gas pumped into tank.
This will give you your MPG. The 285s your running are 7.3% bigger in diameter than the stock tires. (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...0r16-285-75r16) . You have to calculate for the difference.
Lets say you drove 230 miles according to your trip odometer. 230/0.927=248.
you acually drove 248 miles.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
is the airaid a sealed box intake? or just a heat shield? if its just the shield, sucking in that hot air is gonna be a factor. trust me.. i know.

I was running the AFE Stage II (open heat shield) for about a year.. recently switch to the 2nd Gen TRD intake and noticed my MPG's went up. was averaging anywhere between 16.5-18.5 with the AFE.. now im around 19.5 consistantly.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #15
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremanpat View Post
I went from 17 to 14. I havent had it tuned for the intake...but its in the works
14! I can't even get 14 when I floor it around town, I still avg 15-16+ and I only have 11k miles. I typically get 19-21 as an avg.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
It will get better as the truck breaks in, but you are also running big heavy tires compared to stock, are you taking into account the tire size when calculating mpg?

and depending on where you live, the gas stations may be on winter gas now, which is shiiittyy!
do your spacers give you better MPG?

seriously, i get like 15mpg combined average, and have load range D 285's. OP i would try running a higher octane and see if that helps? you may just have to break it in.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
do your spacers give you better MPG?

seriously, i get like 15mpg combined average, and have load range D 285's. OP i would try running a higher octane and see if that helps? you may just have to break it in.
no I'm thinking of getting rid of my brand new shocks, and buying some brand new shocks to replace them with, then I can jump my truck, thus better gas mileage as I won't need to use any fuel once I am in flight... 5100's here I come!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Dump the shitty Airaid intake and go back to stock.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
no I'm thinking of getting rid of my brand new shocks, and buying some brand new shocks to replace them with, then I can jump my truck, thus better gas mileage as I won't need to use any fuel once I am in flight... 5100's here I come!!!!!!
You are not correct

On a side note, at least you can take a joke. Wouldn't believe how many members would be hoping to catch me in a dark alley for that hahaha
Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
I like tacos and burritos
Markallyn86 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Markallyn86's Tacoma Gallery
My ultra gauge says that my avg mpg is 14.5. 18 to 20 on the freeway at 70ish... 12 /14 or less in the city which is where I drive 90% of the, time.. These numbers are from two weeks of driving with the gauge. Not bad if you stay on the highway..