Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 or 2014 Tacoma?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #61
Kooltaco is on a distinguished road
Kooltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooltaco View Post
In two weeks the new 2014 Tundra will be unveiled at the Chicago auto show which may have a few new features and engine advances. I bet the new Direct Injection V6 will find its way to the Tacoma very soon....maybe even this fall.....
I guess no major changes to the powertrain for the 2014 Tundra, unless they are keeping quiet on the Direct-Injection for a later date...

The current-generation Toyota Tundra debuted during the Chicago Auto Show in 2007 and today, Toyota brought its new 2014 Tundra to the same event.

A new chiseled look brings the formerly curvaceous Tundra into the boxy realm of the current American-designed pickups. While the profile of the truck remains similar to the current Tundra, the hood, grille, front bumper and wheel arches of the truck have all been squared off for a bold look.

While the folks at Toyota’s Calty design studio were providing new style to give the truck a fresh feel, it seems like the engine development team was sipping cocktails. Disappointingly, the engines are unchanged.

Offered as the standard motor on Tundra Regular and Double Cab models is a four-liter V6 good for 270 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque.

In the middle of the range is a 4.6-liter DOHC i-Force V8 that offers 310 hp and 327 lb-ft of torque, while the top-tier engine is still the 5.7-liter i-Force V8 that makes 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque. A five-speed automatic transmission will link up to the V6, while a six-speed will be on duty with both eight-cylinder powerplants. In 4×2 regular car trim, Tundra’s top tow capacity is 10,400 lbs.

VIEW COMPLETE 2013 CHICAGO AUTO SHOW COVERAGE

For improved ride quality, the shock-absorber valving has been re-tuned, hoping to avoid some of the rear-end chattering that was common in the previous Tundra. Steering feel is adjusted for a little less feedback, which Toyota says will make it better to drive on long trips.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #63
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I love my tacoma even more now. :-)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #64
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it was a Chrysler Ram at first...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #65
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
X2 for loving my Tacoma more!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #66
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think toyota listens to their customers.... Good luck with the same number of sales toyota.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #67
Does this mean that the Tacoma will get the same treatment as the Tundra when re-desinged....New Front-end and interior and the power-train and frame carry-over...

I wonder what the new Fontier will look like...
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #69
UrMySon is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
UrMySon's Tacoma Gallery
I've been waiting for the Tundra redesign, and they let me down to say the least. I can't believe nothing has been done to the motors for MPG's. I don't see anything new for the Tacoma in 2014
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #70
I was really excited for this redesign of the Tundra and what that would mean for the future Tacoma's, but I was really let down by what Toyota has shown us. I realize that they may have new engines planned for a few years down the road but they could have added at least a few horsepower across all of the engines and slightly improved fuel economy to get through a few more years until the new engines are ready. I would have liked to see at least an 8-speed Automatic for the v8's and a 6-speed for the V6, as Toyota already has these in their parts inventory for other models including an 8-speed auto for a 400hp Lexus.....that could be used as a base design for the Tundra.

Back to the Tacoma....If anything we Taco owners are the ones really getting the shaft. Our V6 engine was designed in 2002-2003 for the 4-Runner as its first application which then was placed in many other Truck based vehicles in the Toyota line-up. Then Tundra received the updated engine with dual VVT and improved performance and fuel economy a few years ago as did the 4-Runner and FJ-Cruiser. The Taco which is built on the same line as the Tundra receives an outdated engine and has had no mechanical upgrades (Engine-Transmission) since the first Taco rolled out of the factory in 2004.

What can I expect from the next Tacoma (whenever that comes out)
-The same frame
-The same dimensions
-The same Cab Structure
-New interior
-New Front-end
-New Rear-end
-Drive-train anyone's guess

But it will be marketed as "All NEW"

I would not call the 2014 Tundra All-New but rather a re-fresh like the Camry....

I have this bad taste from Toyota, that all they are really concerned about is how to sell out-dated designs as long as possible without spending too much money. In Marketing terms "Harvesting your product"
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #71
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
LOL wow.. that new Tundra looks terrible. I say buy now and sell later on down the road if you prefer the new styling. From the looks of that Tundra I don't see it being worth the wait. Not to mention Toyota is lazy in keeping up with current tech, anyway. At least on the trucks.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #72
Shouldn't the 187-HP 4-Cylinder in the Rav-4 at least be offered in the Tacoma!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #73
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
The 2014 Tundra is just a refresh, not a brand new model there waiting for Ford to come out with there new 2015 Ford F-150 to counteract the new model. It wouldnt make sense bringing in a new from the frame up truck to the market right now until the big player (Ford) releases their new from the frame up model, hope this makes sense
Also the new refreash is just to stay in the game and gearing for there complete new redesign, yes I realize some people hate it but I think it will grow on people
Wait this is not the Tundra thread...woops
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #74
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Awwww C'mon fellas... The Tundra can tow the space shuttle. What more could it need? LOL

As for the Tacoma, you won't see much or any changes next year (2014). Its getting too close to a Generation 3 Tacoma within the next couple or 3 years. That's what I'm waiting for!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #75
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
RickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Retired
RickG's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RickG
Yeah... it's not doing anything for me. Don't like the 'big truck' grille that all the full size trucks seem to have these days. I do like that color though. I'm hoping that Toyota expands the color choices for us a bit.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #76
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
why does everyone rag on our motors being out dated??! I think its the perfect motor for our trucks.. mine is plenty fast.. lots of torque... would I like bigger? shure.. why not.. but its good as it is.. im happy with mine.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #77
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooltaco View Post
Yo dawg I heard you like grillz so we...something something.

HUGE grille, little tiny bumper. I never cared much for the current Tundra, but this one, much less so.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #78
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Nope don't like
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #79
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usadaytrader View Post
Every Tacoma forum seems to always encourage "buy it now," than wait for the next model. I bought my 05 (first year) and had very little problems with it. I am waiting for the next gen. I love the truck, but for the money, I want something newer. I already experienced this truck.

Hopefully 2013 is when its coming out. If not, thats okay. My Tacoma will still be there when the new ones released.
This is probably what I will do too. I love my 07 TRD OR 4x4 AC. It has been a great truck but I will probably give it to my youngest son when he turn 16 in 7 years. By then, the Tacoma's will have a new body style and I will look at adding another one then. I only average about 6k to 7k in miles a year on my truck so when Zach gets it, it will only have about 70k to 75k on it. Not bad for what will be a 12 year old truck.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #80
Soundwave has a spectacular aura aboutSoundwave has a spectacular aura about

Soundwave's Tacoma Gallery
new Tundra interior is nice...cut, copied and pasted out of the Ford superduty